Code of Conduct
The Chao Island community pages are for friendly discussion. Please keep “on topic” and post in the correct forums. Do not flood the boards with multiple posts, it’s not needed– if you need to add something you forgot, please use the edit button found on the post.
Firstly, some notes for everyone which should be well known:
- In order to post messages on the message boards, you must register using a valid e-mail address and follow all required registration confirmation procedures. No posting privileges will be granted until the account is fully activated.
- Joining the Chao Island Discord requires a Chao Island forum account, which will need to be verified. Any rule-breaking on the Discord will also affect your forum account, and vice-versa.
- For the first few posts, you may have trouble posting messages containing URLs and/or pictures – this is to avoid spambot registrations, and you should have no trouble after a few normal posts.
- YOU are responsible for protecting your accounts from access by others. You are strongly encouraged to select a hard-to-guess password and not re-use that password on any other sites.
- Accessing or attempting to access any account not belonging to you without permission is not allowed and can lead to a permanent ban of all accounts.
- The Chao Island staff have the right to immediately ban or suspend anyone who do not follow the rules set here. The decision to suspend or terminate accounts will be made at our discretion.
- Messages and topics may be removed at any time and for any reason at the discretion of the staff. What is “acceptable” and “unacceptable” will be determined solely by the administrators and moderators.
We don’t want to make this forum a place where everything is clamped down with rules and stuff, so please just try and use common sense to realise what’s right and what’s wrong. The main things are as follows:
1. Multiple Accounts
While it has been deemed to be acceptable for users to maintain multiple accounts, we can (and do) track all accounts used on the same computer(s) and will consider them one account for the purpose of rule-breaking. If the rules are violated severely enough to warrant the termination of one account, all known accounts held by that user and/or all accounts using the same computer(s) may also be banned at the administrators’ discretion.
To make that clear, if you get banned on one account you may lose all accounts that share that IP or have shared it in the past.
No spoilers– please use the spoiler tags appropriately. Posting spoilers intentionally with the sole purpose of ruining things for others will get you banned. Games like Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 have been out for ages now, so most people should have completed it, but if a poster has stated that they are playing through it, please try to mark spoilers where necessary.
3. Offensive Material / Flaming
No offensive language and no insulting or flaming other members of the board. We have censors in place that prevent you from posting “bad” language that generally isn’t allowed on family-friendly television. If you feel the need to do so, please consider blocking out the word completely.
Chao Island has had a history of being very family-friendly since its beginnings in 2003. Over 15 years have passed since then, and the internet has become much more prevalent in everyday life. Therefore, we do not have a total ban on word censoring like before, but please keep in mind that vulgar language isn’t always necessary, and staff may remove posts at their discretion.
Along the same lines, no posting or linking to offensive/disturbing material– I shouldn’t have to give examples because it should be obvious what I mean.
4. Disruptive posting
Don’t post messages designed solely to disrupt the normal flow of posts on a board. Most of this should be obvious, but a few examples are ALL CAPS, AlTeRnAtInG cApS, posts that force browsers to scroll horizontally or vertically, links to browser traps or glitches, “rick-rolls”, and random ASCII art posted disruptively.
No trolling (inciting flames/insults from another user), i.e. if you are going to post a topic about how much you hate Chao with the sole intention of annoying the board, this is not allowed. On this note, the topic of “Chao Haters” caused a huge disruption in the past. If you want to post facts and research on the effects of attacking Chao, then do so, but aimless posting about beating Chao (Chao torture stories or something similar) with the intention to annoy other users is not allowed.
No harassment or discrimination of other users. Any problems with other users should be directed to myself or the other moderators of the forum.
Using and/or creating an account with a name clearly intended to impersonate, mock, or antagonise another user; copying another user’s profile information and/or signature; or otherwise falsely claiming to be another member without permission is not allowed. Additionally, posting contact or other private information of another user without permission is forbidden - this includes real name, location, address, phone, private e-mail, etc.
Continual harassing behaviour directed towards users or groups will be punished by the staff.
Advertising in the form of posting links to “get a free Nintendo 3DS!” or other things like that is not allowed. You are not allowed to spam your or another person’s site. You can ask opinions and comments on a site you have created socially, but not with the intent of just advertising your site. You can use your signature and/or website link in your profile if you need to do that.
This also applies to websites such as “Dragon Cave” and similar games. These games require people to click a users link to progress with the game. Posting topics to advertise and gain clicks and views is not allowed. This should be kept to your signature.
While it hasn’t been a problem before, I will add that flooding another board or forum as a group (otherwise known as “raiding”), or inciting a “war” with the regular members of another board is not allowed. If you participate in any kind of organized invasion, you will likely be suspended for it.