Hardest Sonic Game?

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Re: Hardest Sonic Game?

Post by Tobi »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:To add to what Tobi said, are we talking real difficulty, cheap difficulty, or difficulty due to broken game?

To clarify what I mean:
Real difficulty: Requires genuine skill.
Cheap Difficulty: Hard in a way that makes victory more a matter of luck or memorizing locations of death traps.
Difficulty due to broken gameplay: Possesses several game-breaking glitches that randomly screw over the player.

Real vs. Cheap might be a bit subjective, but it sounds like most of the votes for 2006 are based on it being broken.
Agreed. I think that it's very debatable which is most difficult through broken gameplay, because there's just way too many titles that glitch all over the place, through floors, walls, screw up loops or any other fixed paths by randomly pausing you, etc.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Blasphemy
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Blasphemy »

I haven't played as many Sonic games I would have liked to, but I do remember one that found particularly frustrating: Sonic Riders. It took me many tries to beat the final stage of the hero story mode, and I only ever made it through half of the "villain" story mode. The difficulty of the last stage in the hero mode was ridiculously high in comparison to all of the other stages, while the villain mode already starts at a higher difficulty and gets even worse as it goes on.

If we're going to mention tediousness, it's a tie between Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog for me. In both of them you had to play through the stages multiple times in order to get to the final boss of the stage (and in Sonic Heroes, do the special stages to get the chaos emeralds). I felt like there wasn't enough variety and I never finished them because I got bored of them. It took longer for me to tire of Sonic Heroes, though.
"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection."
-Henri Poincare

They Who Lack a Face (Newest Project, Updating)
dA|Tumblr|Pokemon X Adventure Tumblr
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

I only really struggled with the extra missions in Sonic Riders, collecting capsules in the stages and such, the main game could be pretty challenging sometimes but isn't really worthy of being called the hardest Sonic game.

In fact, as far as racing games go, I'd argue Sonic Drift is harder than Riders. Depending on who you ask, Sonic R could be tougher than both of them; the stages and unlockables aren't all that difficult in and of themselves, but mastering the ill-conceived controls is a painful process. Especially if you're used to playing other 3D Sonic games, since in Sonic R they work more like Hedgehog-shaped race cars :P It's good practice for the Cart stages in SA2B though, which are of an insanely unfair difficultly for a minigame.

Not sure how to compare the difficulty of side games with the main series, since the gameplay differs so greatly between racing games, fighting games, etc. and titles like S3&K or SA.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Albedo
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: I know all there is to know about Mario and Sonic.

Post by Albedo »

Ivogoji wrote:^Sonic Heroes isn't that hard...
HAH!!! Dude have you ever tried to get all 24 chaos emeralds, beat Metal Overlord, complete every special stage, not to mention get an A-rank on every stage, even with one's like the Chaotix story, or the team Sonic story? I've only finished with one team, and I've yet to get more emeralds, I haven't even gotten to the Haunted manor stage with 2 of the teams, and I've owned this game for like THREE FRIGGIN YEARS!!!
I AM A CASTLE CRASHER!!! ~ Pelter
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

You only need to get the emeralds in one story.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

There are only seven Emerald which are shared between the entire cast :P

Metal Overlord isn't hard at all if you know in advance to just spam Team Blast.

Getting the all A Ranks is pretty tedious, but I don't think it's harder than doing the same in SA2B. Granted I wouldn't even take that challenge into account given how unappealing the reward is, most people don't bother with it.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Does Heroes even have a clear condition for the Act 1 Special stages? Is there an indicator for collecting Chaos Emeralds that is Team specific? Yeah, Team Dark can seem a bit hard, but I doubt any of the stages are any harder compared to the Team Sonic version than the Hard Mode missions in SA2(the difference being that Heroes lets you jump straight into Hard Mode while SA2 forces you to be good at a level just to unlock Hard Mode).

And of course, being a completionist is going to make a game a lot harder.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

Albedo wrote:
Ivogoji wrote:^Sonic Heroes isn't that hard...
HAH!!! Dude have you ever tried to get all 24 chaos emeralds, beat Metal Overlord, complete every special stage, not to mention get an A-rank on every stage, even with one's like the Chaotix story, or the team Sonic story? I've only finished with one team, and I've yet to get more emeralds, I haven't even gotten to the Haunted manor stage with 2 of the teams, and I've owned this game for like THREE FRIGGIN YEARS!!!
Well, the OP never specified whether this was about completing the storyline or completing the game 100%. Difficulty can also be, as previously mentioned, divided into 3 different terms; hard, cheap and glitch difficulty. Personally, I feel like sonic heroes mainly had the glitch difficulty, I fell through the floor or walls WAY too often.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Woahsmea
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Everyone wants a Chaos Chao, whilie I want a Sonic Chao

Post by Woahsmea »

Every Sonic game.
dam I joined like 3 years ago lol
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

Post by ChillyChao »

Sonic Adventure 2.
AAAAAA
I'm stuck on Cannons Core :')
It took me like 2 months to even get on that level due to the Chao Garden and also because the last hero story level (it was Mad Space, right?) took me a whole month to beat.
Also Sonic The Hedgehog is pretty hard. Not the more fun (sorry.) one from 2006, the first one. I already finished Sonic 2 and i'm almost done with Sonic 3 & Knuckles (& KNUCKLES & KNUCKLES & KNUCKLES & KNUCKLES) but i just can't beat the first one because i'm stuck on stupid Marble Zone....
Also Sonic 2 SMS. Me and my mom play it together and we can never get past the second zone because we don't know how to use hangliders. Also we suck at it.
EDIT
I'm stuck on the Biolizard now, much harder than Cannon's Core. WHO THOUGHT OF MAKING HIM SO OVERPOWERED?!
Last edited by ChillyChao on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Yeah, Sonic 1 is pretty hard. As are most of the GameGear games(Sonic Blast being a notable exception, at least until the Fifth Zone).

Also, Mad Space is Rouge's last level, so it's neither Hero Story or the last in Dark Story. Sonic Adventure 2 is pretty hard to complete though(I've beaten most of the missions and even all-Aed a few levels, but I've still got plenty of E-ranks I suspect would still be there even if I hadn't gone blind.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

ChillyChao wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:14 am Also Sonic 2 SMS. Me and my mom play it together and we can never get past the second zone because we don't know how to use hangliders. Also we suck at it.
ChillyChao wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:14 am Also we suck at it.
You're doing extremely well if you can beat the first boss actually.

I was playing the one included in Sonic Gems Collection using save states to pass the first boss (and also get the hints feature to explain the hang gliders).

The game was oddly easy after that. However, I could only have temporary save states since my memory card was full, so I never fought the final boss, but I believe I got to the last zone.

---

The hardest Sonic game is probably Game Gear Sonic 1, which oddly enough, I find more fun than the game it's based off of. The music is also better.

that or sonic spinball because who actually got past the sewers both with their sanity intact and without dying instantly after

Additionally, I finished getting all A-Ranks in SA2 with my brother, and let's just say it took us quite a few days to get an A rank on Cosmic Wall 5.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

I've since made it to the third stage of Sonic Spinball on Mega Collection, and cleared the Game Gear version on Gems Collection. Still a wicked hard game though.
Last edited by Ivogoji on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I could fairly consistantly beat the first level of 16-bit Sonic Spinball, but I've beaten the second level only a time or two. Definitely one of those games where one wishes for a save feature or an easy stage select code(I can't remember if Spinball had one period, though if it did, I suspect it was something hard to remember) so you could spend entire games practicing later levels instead of having to have the mad skills to beat the whole thing in a single playthrough.

Still, one of the best Pinball games ever made even if its damn hard.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

Lets see, out of the ones I've played:

Sonic Spinball
Sonic 3+Knuckles

I've not gotten far in either of these games myself. I've at least seen the final stages of Sonic 1 and 2.

I've not played many modern games (Adventure DX, Adventure 2: Battle, Heroes, Riders, Generations, Forces) but I'd say the hardest of these ones for me was Riders. When I first got it I couldn't even figure out how to play. Years later I figured it out mostly but still struggled to beat later stages. I did finish it though!

Team Dark in Sonic Heroes. I still haven't beat them in all these years.

Also I found some of the bosses in Forces nigh impossible unless I was playing my Cat Avatar. Thank got I picked that one from the start or I may have never 100% the game.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Yuiop
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: Farewell

Post by Yuiop »

I think Sonic R is really hard when I was younger I would always get annoyed with it and stop playing, or Sonic Spinball.
Bye Guys
TheUnlimitedChao
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Happy Holidays and Good to be back!

Post by TheUnlimitedChao »

The Rush trilogy on the DS, S&K3, SA2. Alright?
No need for depressions now. :blink:
Because, it's christmas! :surprise:
Everybody should be happy this month!
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

To me, Heroes and Sonic R are really only hard the first time you play them (I remember spending about 2 hours trying to beat Team Dark Final Fortress my first time).

As for what games still remain hard for me, there's a couple...

I'm pretty bad at 2D games in general, but for some reason, I'm always really bad at Sonic 3 AND KNUCKLES, so I've never gotten very far in it.
Although I'd like to think that I'm decent at Riders and know it's controls well, I have yet to beat Babylon Garden in Hero Story (which is sad because they hide so many characters, stages, and items until you beat it ).
:darkcry:
I for the life of me can't beat the Special Stages of Triple Trouble, because I keep hitting a point in them where I can't move forward. I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong, or if they just made it REALLY hard to complete.
I've also never met anyone in my life that's ever completed the first two stages of Sonic Spinball, so that's something.
Sonic and the Secret Rings is also pretty hard, and I found myself spending WAY too much time trying to complete each mission and stage (I still get Pirate Storm flashbacks to this day)
Black Knight isn't as hard as Secret Rings for me, and I like how whenever I had trouble, I usually found some logical way to win, which is cool, but there are still those bullsh :omochao: t moments.
I'm also really bad at the plane stage in Sonic Unleashed, mainly because of the PS3 and 360 button commands (since I'm used to playing Nintendo consoles)
I like Sonic Chronicles (or "Chronic Sonicles" as I like to call it), but I think the difficulty ramps up considerably at about the time you start traveling between the planets, but that could just be me sucking.

In short, I suck at things.
Yuiop
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: Farewell

Post by Yuiop »

I also have trouble with Sonic Fighters
Bye Guys
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

While I could beat the first level of 16-bit Spinball most of the time, I only ever got to the third level once, only to get game over almost immediately.

And yeah, Team Dark is only hard in the sense that the game lets you play hard mode immediately instead of forcing you to more or less master the normal version of the level to unlock hard mode like in SA2.