No Bonus stage rings in Scrap Brain?

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
noahthehedgehog
Adept Chao
Adept Chao
Motto: An adventure is no fun if it is too easy!

No Bonus stage rings in Scrap Brain?

Post by noahthehedgehog »

So I just started my run across the 2D Sonic games to prep for Mania.
When I started Scrap Brain Act 1 with 3 Chaos emeralds in hand (yeah, 100%-challenge was already gone at this moment), I managed to reach the goal with 58 rings in total. I thought I at least had the chance to get 2 more emeralds but in fact there was no Bonus stage ring to enter.
Now, the question: Is it common that there are no bonus rings in Scrap Brain Zone? I didn't have enough rings at the end of act 2, so I could'nt check if this would occur in both Acts. I was so surprised I couldn't take a pic to prove.
Did anybody else have this situation and is it a bug or intended to be like this? I appreciate any help :surprise:
thx in advance!
the servers are the seven chaos. chaos is power. power is enriched by the heart. the controller is the one that unifies the chaos.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Re: No Bonus stage rings in Scrap Brain?

Post by Triert »

http://info.sonicretro.org/Scrap_Brain_Zone

"All throughout this zone, it is not possible to enter the Special Stage as the giant rings that lead to it never appear. This is because part of the VRAM area normally used by the big ring is used by the animated smoke in the BG. A big ring can be added by hand, but it will use garbled tiles whenever the smoke animates."
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Re: No Bonus stage rings in Scrap Brain?

Post by Sable »

I actually had no idea about this, and now I theorize that's one reason why Star Light is so easy - to give you a couple of last chances at collecting missing emeralds.