Sonic Team Racing

Remember the old Sonic Games? Or even the newer ones! Talk about these Sonic games here, whether you are stuck or just want to talk about your favourite game!
Warning! This topic is 5 years old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Sonic Team Racing

Post by Ivogoji »

New Sonic game in the vein of SEGA All-Star Racing.

Personally I can't get passed how silly the idea of putting Sonic in a car is, but these spinoffs are decent at least for giving tertiary Sonic characters some much needed spotlight.
Last edited by Ivogoji on Thu May 31, 2018 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Sonic Team Racing

Post by chaoadventures »

how hard is it to put sonic and his own two dang feet on the ground and then race again

At least SEGA All-Stars has never been worse than mediocre, and it's made by the same devs, so this has genuine potential.

I still want to play another foot race game though.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

Post by ChillyChao »

Sonic racing games only have Sonic in a car so it could be fair for everyone. As seen by Sonic R, if Sonic were to race on foot, it would be unfair. There were games before Sonic R that had Sonic in a car, Sonic Drift and Sonic Drift 2, so i can only assume that in Sonic R they were experimenting with crap, hence the fact that it was a Saturn game and Sonic was not in a car.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
chaomaster100
Egg
Egg
Motto: Chao!

Post by chaomaster100 »

I think this game will be at least decent. Also I'm really hoping we could race as a chao, that'd be entertaining.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

ChillyChao wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:09 am Sonic racing games only have Sonic in a car so it could be fair for everyone. As seen by Sonic R, if Sonic were to race on foot, it would be unfair.
Actually,

I say Knuckles does a pretty good job keeping up with Sonic. :wink:

--

But based on games like Heroes, the other characters would probably be able to keep a decent pace against Sonic, regardless of how impractical that sounds, as long as the creators say so.

- - -
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Sonic R had some game balance issues, but Sonic has seldom outclassed other playable characters to such an extent.

In the 2-D games, Advance 3 is the only game with multiple playable characters I can think of where Sonic has a notably above average top speed, and that's mainly because they made Advance 2's Burst mode Sonic's exclusive ability(and everyone else gains it if Sonic is in the sidekick position if I remember correctly).

The few 3-D games with multiple playable characters distinguish characters a bit more, but even then Sonic doesn't completely outclass the competition in most cases:
SA1: Sonic is faster than Tails in a dead run, but Tails's flight actually gives the fox the advantage. Knuckles might be slower than either of the dynamic duo in running speed(hard to tell though), but his Gliding and Climbing abilities would be game breaking if his gameplay was closer to Sonic/Tails objective wise(just look how what is for Sonic a winding path through a complex environment becomes a sandbox for Knuckles). Even Gamma isn't that slow once he shifts to speed mode. Amy and Big are the only slow characters in the game, and this is probably the second slowest incarnation of playable Amy beaten only by Sonic R.
Adventure 2 probably has even less speed differences between Sonic/Shadow and Knuckles/Rouge than Sonic and Knuckles did in SA1, and Knuckles/Rouge abilities are less level breaking only because the game gives them levels that are actually built with their abilities in mind. The Cyclone and Eggwalker are noticeably slower, but they're also built for combat rather than speed.
Heroes kind of exaggerates the difference between Speed, Power, and Fly characters for the sake of its gimmick, but is there really that much difference in speed between the formations? Power's slower gameplay is more to due with stationary combat than actually being slow moving, and the fly characters are having to lift/throw their team mates.

I also think it worth noting that there are racing games out there where some of the slowest characters are considered among the best. For example, in Diddy Knog Racing, Pipsy and Tiptup have the lowest top speed, but actually outperform the second and third fastest characters in the game thanks to superior acceleration and handling)T.T., the game's fastest character is actually the best, but that's because he also has the best acceleration and unlike other fast characters, has decent handiling).

Done right, I think a roster of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Rouge, Gemerl, Espio, Charmy, Vector, Blaze, Silver, Tikal, Mighty, and Ray could work quite nicely for a on-foot racer, and with the addition of characters that use vehicles, Big, Eggman, Omega, Nack/Fang, and probably others I can't think of at the moment would be good additions.

As for the game we're actually getting, considering I never checked out the All-Star games(despite being fairly sure the first one at least came out before I went blind) I doubt I'd give this game a look even if I could still see well enough to play.
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by ChillyChao »

@chaoadventures
In the latest Sonic Official stream, it was confirmed that Sonic is in a car so it woukd be fair. He only goes at the speed of the other characters so when you're playing a Sonic game you don't take one step and fly off the map. Canonically, Sonic is the fastest thing alive.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Tails got sassy
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

"what did you say about my dad tails"
ChillyChao wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:06 am In the latest Sonic Official stream, it was confirmed that Sonic is in a car so it woukd be fair. He only goes at the speed of the other characters so when you're playing a Sonic game you don't take one step and fly off the map. Canonically, Sonic is the fastest thing alive.
Sonic is indeed the fastest thing alive, no doubt, but his maximum speed is insanely unwieldy, if the boost games show Sonic going at what is currently considered his fastest, then I would assume his highest speeds wouldn't do very well on race courses like the ones in Sonic R, since Sonic's movement is very strict and prohibits turning, and the boost games have large amounts of straightaways.

Basically, I would assume Sonic would stay the fastest on land, but due to the twists and turns of the tracks, characters like Tails and Knuckles could potentially navigate the terrain better, and still win the race.

- - -
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

I'm gonna buy it because I have been waiting for a modern Sonic Character racing game for so long. FINALLY, AN ALL SONIC RACING GAME AGAIN.

Though. Imma just say it.

BRING BACK NACK LET ME BE NACK I WANT HIM BACK BRING HIM BACK NAO.

(For any new users who don't know who I am: I really like Nack. I want Nack back. Yes.)
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

I enjoy seeing playable kart driving chao again.

...however odd that may actually be in practice.

bring back eggrobo now please

- - -
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by ChillyChao »

^
If Omochao is in that car than flip this crap i ain't playin as a Chao
Pat Po
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao
Motto: hello :D

Post by Pat Po »

how racing against four driver in a car and a robot is fair
:omochao:
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by ChillyChao »

This trailer dropped a couple of days ago. Opinions? :thinking:
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

So far, there have been a lot of stuff in trailers and other things such as the Team Sonic Racing One-Shot by IDW that make me really excited for the game, more so than other recent Sonic racing games like Sonic and Sega Allstars Racing (which is a mini-series thing I've never actually played).

For example, I'm really glad they brought back the Team mechanic and character classes like in Sonic Heroes, which have also been implemented in games like Sonic Riders. I'm interested to see how the different Team actions will work in the gameplay, and I'm also interested to see how it would work in multiplayer (even though I don't actually have friends to play it with). As for the teams themselves, Team Sonic and Team Dark are the same as they've always been. Team Rose brought back Big (YEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!), and the four Chao driving the car simultaneously reminds me of something you'd see in a Sentai where all the heroes control a giant mech or something like that (GO GO CHAO-ER RANGERRRRRRRRRS). Team Vector goes the route that I hated in Sonic Free Riders where they put Vector on a team OTHER than Chaotix, and they even had the audacity to call it "Team Vector" (Sega, why would you do this?). And then there's Team Eggman, and they brought back Zavok yet again, which I'm not necessarily against, but I find it really funny that he keeps coming back even though literally no one is asking for him.

As for the whole car customization thing we see in the newest trailer, it doesn't seem like much, and it probably won't factor into the actual gameplay at all, unless they have a mechanic where using certain decals give certain bonuses (kinda like the Spirits in Smash Ultimate).

I'm also really interested to see the plot of Team Sonic Racing, especially because of the new character Dadon Pa, who hasn't been explained very much or has even been acknowledged at all outside of the One-Shot.

I also really like the little animated mini-series they're doing called Team Sonic Racing Overdrive, because Tyson Hesse + Big the Cat = The best thing ever :3