What Is Wrong With Ponies?

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

Do you agree?

I agree
51%
16%
No
33%

Total votes: 43

Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Re: What Is Wrong With Ponies?

Post by Crash32 »

@Jeff
funny because i heavily dislike anime also
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

@Crash32: My point is that, while there are plenty of anime-haters(or more specifically, Mahou Shoujo-haters), they tend to be much less sensitive to rational fans mentioning shows they like in an appropriate manner and more other than not, only go off on the obnoxiously overobsessive anime fans, and this tends to be the way it is with most fandoms. MLP, however, seems that just mentioning the show in passing, even in a completely appropriate context, is enough to garner the attention of a virtual lynch mob. Haters gonna hate, and being obnoxiously overobsessive is likely to net you nothing but scorn, even from those apathetic to a fandom and even from some of the more level-headed members of the fandom, but MLP:FiM seems to have a few orders of magnitude more than its fair share of hair trigger haters.

@EPM: Running Linux or it having the Apple brand does not make a x86 PC any less a PC, and the only thing Windows really has going for it in software that doesn't run natively under OSX or Linux are high-end Games(many of which are also available on at least one console, which is likely to only increase what with the xbone and PS4 being nearly identicle to a generic high-end PC in hardware) and a few specialized applications. Of course, with most non-proprietary software being cross-platform and there being relatively little in the way of proprietary software that truly outshines its FOSS counterparts unless its highly specialized, the OS being used really doesn't make much difference to the majority of end users. I prefer Linux because its the os I know my way around the best, but there isn't anything I use on a regular basis(except maybe apt package management) that I couldn't find an equvalent, if not a direct port, for under Windows or OSX.
Doctor! Doctor!
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Doctor! Doctor! »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:^Still does not explain why, moreso than any other fandom, MLP:FiM seems to attract those who go ballistic at even the slightest mention of the material they dislike.

For example, someone posts a context appropriate image or video link from nearly any fandom in a manner that no rational person could see as being overly obnoxious, and most people succeed in not making a big deal out of it. If the image or video link is pony-related though, and suddenly the post becomes flamebait when it would have been deemed completely aceptable had the image/video been of literally anything else.

Even if Bronies have more than their fair share of fantards, it neither explains or justifies the hypersensitivity that a disproportionate number of people seem to have developed towards ponies.
I think its just because most of those people seem to not be able to accept the fact that people have different opinions on it and then stir up pointless arguments. This is a problem on both sides of the spectrum, and due to the show being made for little girls, it worsens it when it comes to the haters, making them more hostile to the subject at hand. Heck, I know a forum where the haters literally made even slightly mentioning ponies bannable for the longest time. It still isn't allowed though fully yet even after 2 years just because of all the drama it brings.
Hi.
pokemonlove33 wrote:I'M SARAH NOT RON PAUL, I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A RON PAUL IS
MelissaChao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by MelissaChao »

I'm okay with the actual ponies. I'll watch the show and stuff but it's just that I see pony versions of a lot of characters everywhere. They shove their fandom into other fandoms that are completely different. I have seen my fair share of my favorite shows and characters get "ponified." But I can assure you that MLP is not the only fandom shoving their fandom everywhere. Homestuck is another one. I'm a small Homestuck (now) and so are a lot of my friends but whenever I go to meetups the other Homestucks there always freak out over the small things and everything now is a Homestuck reference.

There's also the fact that Homestucks, Bronies, and Superwholocks are starting to be the major parts of conventions now. The large convention I go to is called Tekko. It's a JAPANESE pop culture convention. I know they don't really have anywhere else to go but probably 60% of the con cosplayers weren't Japanese characters. While I do admit I was Karkat for part of a day, I didn't go to Tekko just to freak out over Homestuck, MLP, and Superwholock. I even changed out my Karkat cosplay as soon as I could after my panel ended because I was tired of seeing Homestucks and having other Homestucks freak out because I was cosplaying a troll.
And some of the Homestuck, MLP, and Superwholock fans that went didn't even care for anime/manga/Japanese culture. The stuff that the convention is about. I'm getting sick of seeing all these fandoms trying to shove their fandom into a convention that isn't about them.
and don't even get me started on them Hetalia weebs

While there was a pretty cool Pinkie Pie and MPL group there cheering for everybody that walked past them to get into/out of the restroom, all the other MLP cosplayers acted pretty high and mighty, thinking that they were so much better than everyone. The MLP con goers aren't as bad as the Internet fandom but they can be a bit mean at times.
I think I may have ranted about Homestuck too much
(18:37:50) JmTsHaW: they're here for chaos's sweet buns
(18:45:41) Chaos_the_Light_Chao: My freshly-cooked buns bring all the girls to the yard
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

wic. wrote:
EvilPinkamina wrote:Superchao, the voice of reason. Ironic considering he uses macs.
Seriously dude, piss off. His preference is in no way relevant to the topic, and you're just trying to start ****.
Please read the post above yours.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Corvo
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Corvo »

I have no problem with the show itself. I've never seen it.

Everyone's problem with MLP stems from the awful fandom. It corrupts anything it touches, invades forums, and lots of people aren't okay with men liking ponies.

It's also basically rendered Lauren Faust and Tara Strong unable to do anything without ponies coming up. 90% of the time, when they do public appearances for things entirely unrelated to ponies, bronies will show up and prevent actual fans of the two from meeting them.
MelissaChao wrote:I'm okay with the actual ponies. I'll watch the show and stuff but it's just that I see pony versions of a lot of characters everywhere. They shove their fandom into other fandoms that are completely different. I have seen my fair share of my favorite shows and characters get "ponified." But I can assure you that MLP is not the only fandom shoving their fandom everywhere. Homestuck is another one. I'm a small Homestuck (now) and so are a lot of my friends but whenever I go to meetups the other Homestucks there always freak out over the small things and everything now is a Homestuck reference.

There's also the fact that Homestucks, Bronies, and Superwholocks are starting to be the major parts of conventions now. The large convention I go to is called Tekko. It's a JAPANESE pop culture convention. I know they don't really have anywhere else to go but probably 60% of the con cosplayers weren't Japanese characters. While I do admit I was Karkat for part of a day, I didn't go to Tekko just to freak out over Homestuck, MLP, and Superwholock. I even changed out my Karkat cosplay as soon as I could after my panel ended because I was tired of seeing Homestucks and having other Homestucks freak out because I was cosplaying a troll.
And some of the Homestuck, MLP, and Superwholock fans that went didn't even care for anime/manga/Japanese culture. The stuff that the convention is about. I'm getting sick of seeing all these fandoms trying to shove their fandom into a convention that isn't about them.
and don't even get me started on them Hetalia weebs

While there was a pretty cool Pinkie Pie and MPL group there cheering for everybody that walked past them to get into/out of the restroom, all the other MLP cosplayers acted pretty high and mighty, thinking that they were so much better than everyone. The MLP con goers aren't as bad as the Internet fandom but they can be a bit mean at times.
I think I may have ranted about Homestuck too much
That problem has been happening to conventions since before MLPFiM/Homestuck/Superwhoavengehobbitlockrises. Conventions stopped being a themed thing and pretty much all of them became Pop Culture cons the second Comic Con started being one. Not anyone can afford to go to or even travel to Comic Con, while nearby cons are cheaper and will stock fandom stuff. When people make their cosplays, they want to use them.

It pretty much started when a couple big TV shows and movies showed up at Comic Con, which made the convention really popular, which invited all the other big TV shows, which made everyone want to go not for comics, but for the TV shows and movies. There's only Dark Horse, DC, and Marvel at conventions now, it's too expensive for minor comic studios to make it.

I think the only cons that have stayed true to their purpose are PAX and QuakeCon, and all the minor ones that have about a hundred or so attendants each year.
MelissaChao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by MelissaChao »

^ I'm so happy that a smaller convention hasn't succumbed to the pressure of the non-Japanese related fandoms. I will continue looking forward to this convention even though there will be MLP/Homestuck/Superwholock cosplays. As long as the content there isn't anywhere near that stuff, I'll be happy.
(18:45:41) Chaos_the_Light_Chao: My freshly-cooked buns bring all the girls to the yard
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

Dude yo. Conventions are supposed to be events for people to geek out and have fun and gush about stuff they like. No need to take things super seriously. People who are into anime, manga, Japanese games, etc. usually overlap with other interests like Western comics, cartoons, and games. Unless you're a hardcore Japanophile with zero tolerance for anything non-Asian.

For the actual topic, my opinion is basically like everyone else's - as long as you don't talk about it 24/7 and shove it down people's throats like the apocalypse is coming, there isn't an issue.
MelissaChao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by MelissaChao »

^ Yes, but it gets bothersome after a while. I enjoy Homestuck, I like a lot of Western things, but it gets annoying seeing them EVERYWHERE. And when you do meet one, they're usually very "OMIGODOMIGOD YOU LIKE HOMESTUCK TOOOOO~~?"
And I understand that there are people who have overlapping interests. I'm just tired of seeing a lot of rabid fans from Homestuck and MLP. Superwholockians aren't too bad (I met a really cool Doctor last year). I actually enjoyed the Avengers and Adventure Time cosplayers because they weren't "in your face" about it. They didn't hold crazy events during and in the con and didn't start crazy activities. They just walked around, were friendly, and were generally calm.

And I'm not a hardcore "Japanophile". I enjoy a lot of what they produce because a lot of it was a part of my childhood. But I like a lot of American/Western things. Just because I'm getting tired of seeing Homestuck and MLP in conventions, doesn't mean I'm obsessed with Japan and am strict "Asian-only" things. Hell, I just went to a Comic Con in my area. If I had any money, I would have gotten tons of Star Wars and Spider-Man things. So don't start calling me a "Japanophile" for getting annoyed by Homestuck and MLP. I don't have much of an opinion on Superwholockians since they usually just keep to themselves at cons I've been to.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

I don't think she was referring to you as a Japanophile. I think she was using 'you' as a general term for anyone.
Never been to a Comicon, my dad kept me from going to the only one I've heard of in my location my whole entire life earlier this year... :c
Either way, I agree, it would get bothersome to hear MLP, Homestuck, or 'Superwholock' everywhere. I would go to a convention to hang with friends, make friends who shared favorite shows/comics/manga, and maybe get some new manga or something else. I was jealous of the stuff my friends bought there...and the pictures they got. I don't have a good cosplay outfit to wear...so...eh, neko? that's all I really got..:I
But..how did we get from Haters on MLP to Comicon? ><'
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^Probably because Conventions in general tend to be gathering spots for rabid fans in the real world. Also, I would assume having to put up with rabid fans is something more level-headed convention goers have had to put up with even in the days before Conventions shifted from being gatherings for specific varieties of Geeks to general pop culture gatherings. I am sure rabid Trekkies, rabid Whovians, and rabid whatever-you-call-star-wars-fans have been crashing Sci-Fi Conventions and sucking the fun out for more level-headed fans of the genre for decades.

Honestly, I have to wonder if any serious sociology studies have been conducted on the behavior of fandoms in general, and within the context of conventions and modern social media in particular.
Midnite
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: ミ☆

Post by Midnite »

Although it's been stated a couple times before:
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Every fandom has individuals who take it to an obsessive level and make a nuisance of themselves in the process, and every fandom has haters who take it to an obsessive level and make a nuisance of themselves in the process.

My Little Pony, or more specific, Friendship is Magic seems to have more than its fair share of both.

That said, one should not be afraid to let their fandoms show through in regular conversation, but they should avoid letting it dominate to the point that no one outside of the fandom can comprehend their posts, and at the same time, no one should jump down someones throat for the slightest mention of a fandom they disliike.
Jeff summed up my thoughts. I'm not an MLP fan, but I don't hate the show either. If you like MLP, by all means, go ahead; just don't force it upon me like a religion. I'm not excessively referencing to Pokemon, Kid Icarus, or Super Smash Bros. every other moment (although I'll admit that I'll occasionally throw in a little joke at the right time and place), nor am I forcing you to like them. @__@

Though, honestly, every fandom has those obnoxious fans, not just MLP/Homestuck/etc. Hell, as a Smash Bros. fan, I can say that the rabid Smashers can be as obnoxious as a rabid Brony or Homestuck. Sakurai himself suffers from a somewhat similar situation as Faust from what I read from one of Jeff's other posts.
- space for rent -
SilverRabbit
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: We're going to the ark, so I guess that means we- crud

Post by SilverRabbit »

Guys, this is crazy how much some of you hate fandom...
Weird person who likes cartoons, pink and video-games.
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

W- I mean they don't hate the fandom! They just don't like it when Fans shove their fandoms down their throats!
MelissaChao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by MelissaChao »

If you didn't want all this hate then why'd you create the topic?
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

SnowyTheHedgehog wrote:W- I mean they don't hate the fandom! They just don't like it when Fans shove their fandoms down their throats!
No, I essentially hate fandoms. I can speak for myself, thx.
Crisruiz123
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: "I can probably live with that"

Post by Crisruiz123 »

if one did not wish to speak of such thing why has one created a topic for such things?
MLP FLUTTERSHY
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by MLP FLUTTERSHY »

To find why these people hate MLP fandom.
I am most like Fluttershy and a Mew :3 http://www.dragonflycave.com/wpay/mew.gif I'm mostly like a bird and a rabbit.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

well you found out Fluttershy. They don't like the obnoxious or the messed up side of the fandom (although all fandoms have those sides, something about 'OMG I'M A GUY AND I LIKE MULTICOLORED PONIES LOLOLOL' and 'cloping' *shudders* upsets other people. Even some of the other fans of MLP (like myself) do their best to avoid those kind of fans.) That and..at the begining, most of the fans were from 4chan and did that in order to get a name for themselves. Ever since then bronies, no matter where they are online or in real life, have had a hard time with avoiding hate or trolls. Its just one of those times where a thing's past can not be forgotten, and its taking its toll on the present and future.
Oh and Fluttershy, if you ever want to talk, I'm sure it'll be fine for you to poke into our MLP fanclub. You are my favorite pony and all..x3
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

OK, all and all, I've gone over all this multiple times. but it doesn't hurt to say this again:

My Little Pony is for young girls, not grown men.

It just ruins their stature, plus they can't go 5 minutes without going "WONDERBOLTRAINBOWDASHPINKIEPIEWHOALOLOLOLOL20%COOLER" every single time. You know what, because of this, I don't even want to go near Snowy anymore. They're also trying to convert literally everyone into the fandom. I'm not gonna watch it, Crash32's not going to watch it, Drouge isn't going to watch it. If we show hatred towards the show, stop talking about ponies around us. I've made my point as clear as I possibly can, so I'm done with this rant.

Also, Loudclaw's doing the same thing, but with Metroid. He even embarrasses himself talking about it, amidst other light-headed posts.
Pic. v2.0
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Pic. v2.0 »

You are absolutely right Eboy.

I am truly creeped out when I hear a man go "OMAGERDRAINBOWDASHFATS"
Twerk

(10:06:43) Pic._v2.0: DUMP BUCKETS OF PISS ON HER WHEN SHE IS SLEEPING
(10:07:02) Pic._v2.0: AND THEN PUT HER HAND IN HOT WATER
(10:07:13) Dr._Roivas: pic is a fan of urine related vengeance
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

SnowyTheHedgehog wrote:
pokemonlove33 wrote:Bronies do not put all their fandom into everything, they are more just being themselves ;)
Not really. I just like annoying people. That's why I always have MLP everywhere.
This. This is my idiot repellent. The only reason why, "20%COOLERRAINBOWDASH" To keep you away.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

People can enjoy whatever they want to like, eboy. Grown adults were collecting MLP figures way before Friendship is Magic came out. Before you were even born. The series started before I was even born. Hell, if the figures had stayed on the same quality as they were before Generation 3.5 had been released, I'd be collected them!

I guess you must get all hot under the collar when grown women mention a love for Transformers or GI Joe as well? No? Be quiet then. Yes? Starscream is my Husbando.

The problem: the annoying bronies are all trolls. Why else would they shove their fandom everywhere? They know it's a subject people will think them weird for liking and they're posting just so people will blow up and fight them over it. They're all trolls, using their like of a series to make people upset with them and be annoying. Every time a brony posts ponies, they're trying to make you angry. They want you to post angry responses so they can use their weird logic to try and make them seem like better people and then tack 'love and tolerate' on the end of it regardless of the fact most of them are incapable of practicing what they preach.

Don't feed the trolls.

Someone posts ponies where they don't need to post ponies? Report post. Do not respond to post ever. Ignore post as if it doesn't exist. Someone else takes the bait and starts something? Report them too. Quick and easy solution.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Pic. v2.0
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Pic. v2.0 »

I think I said my point wrongly.

I don't hate ponies, I hate the bronies who showe a sonic rainboom down your throat.

And believe me, I gave MLP a chance.
Twerk

(10:06:43) Pic._v2.0: DUMP BUCKETS OF PISS ON HER WHEN SHE IS SLEEPING
(10:07:02) Pic._v2.0: AND THEN PUT HER HAND IN HOT WATER
(10:07:13) Dr._Roivas: pic is a fan of urine related vengeance
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Sun will rise tomorrow.

Post by Prince Ricard »

PinkIceFox wrote:the annoying bronies are all trolls
i'm at least 97% sure that there are annoying bronies who are just really ****** annoying bronies