Dark Humor

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
chaobreedersmh
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Dark Humor

Post by chaobreedersmh »

So, dark humor. It's a topic of controversy, some think we shouldn't be joking about serious things like death and illness, among other things. So this topic is going to be about whether or not you think it's alright to joke about such things. Do you draw a line at a certain point? Is it all fair game? Why or why not? What makes one topic ok to joke about, and another not?

Personally, I think everything is fair game. This is because I believe whole heartedly that comedy is a way of coping with things, to take the edge off of a serious event. Obviously I know when to and when not to joke, it depends on situation and company.
FedoraBrella Chao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Fedoras and umbrellas...together at last!

Re: Dark Humor

Post by FedoraBrella Chao »

I use humor a lot, and it's a good way to deal with many situations, and I sometimes use fairly dark humor. However, I DO draw the line at various points, mostly because I don't like offending people. So if I think someone will find the joke offensive, I probably won't say it.
Fedoras and umbrellas will always stand beside me!
MarkeySpirit
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: It's not ogre, it's never ogre

Post by MarkeySpirit »

I personally like offensive humor, It doesn't mean I find the things people are joking about less horrible. I personally don't tell many offensive jokes though, unless I think it's a fairly good one, and that nobody there will get offended.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Being a strong believer in freedom of expression and a strong believer that knowing how to take a joke is an important aspect of maturity, my position is probably closer to the "Anything goes" camp, and my general response to things I don't like tends to be more along the lines of "not for me, I'll go find something that is" than "How dare anyone enjoy this garbage."

That said, I'd say I tend to appreciate dark humour more when it's either used to break the tension when things get a bit too serious or when it's used by a villain to illustrate how bad they are as opposed to dark humour thrown in for it's own sake or used by a character to designate them as the acceptable butt monkey for more light hearted jokes.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

I think dark humor is alright and funny as long as it's completely imaginary and doesn't involve actual tragic events.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

i usually dont really try at dark humor, and i dont really enjoy various aspects of it. it entirely depends on what the subject of humor is, i can handle anything along the lines of death or maybe gore related humor, but nothing else because anything else tends to make me really uncomfortable
help me
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Dark humour is...a touchy subject.

On one hand, humour is a great way to uplift spirits even in the darkest if times, and it has been proven that it can help after tragic events (as an example, in his book, Jeff Dunham, a ventroloquist, talks about his Achmed the Dead Terrorist character was made with the ideas of the 9/11 event in mind, and even though lots of people including himself were apprehensive of the idea, the way the character was portrayed made him an instant classic). Trying to censor humour because it's a touchy subject isn't exactly fair, as many people cope with humour.

On the other hand, there are lots of people who have experienced traumatic situations, like rape, molestation, murders, or what have you, and joking about specific situations such as those can really upset them and put them on edge, for lack of a better term.

I think, it really depends on how the situation. Rape jokes should obviously be off-limit as there's not really a way the jokes surrounding such a tragic event could be made politically correct.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

*Kicks screen reader for stubbornly refusing to read the replay box properly.* Sorry if this post ihas more typos than usual.

Ahkmed(or however you spell his name) the Dead Terrorist is my all-time favorite Ventriloquist dummy.

As for rape, while I've found humor in rape scenes in erotic fiction, I'll agree that joking about actual rapes in real-life is probably crossing the line.

As for political correctness, if we're talking the oversensitive, don't do anything remotely offensive variety that some try to shove down everyone's throats these days, at the risk of being offensive, I'd say **** this kind of political correctness, murder it, and desecrate the remains because it goes way beyond avoiding the line and straight itno the realm of toxic censorship.
chaobreedersmh
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by chaobreedersmh »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:...and my general response to things I don't like tends to be more along the lines of "not for me, I'll go find something that is" than "How dare anyone enjoy this garbage."
Exactly my stance on all forms of entertainment.
Nova! wrote:On the other hand, there are lots of people who have experienced traumatic situations, like rape, molestation, murders, or what have you, and joking about specific situations such as those can really upset them and put them on edge, for lack of a better term.
Exactly why it is important to take company into mind. Obviously one would never tell a murder joke to a person who lost someone dear to such a thing. As for rape, you never know if someone is a survivor of that, and I used to take the stance that those jokes should be off-limits as well. I found out, though, that a lot of survivors tell rape jokes, and so that swayed me to be much more lenient. I don't tell them myself, and I don't enjoy them, but I've come to stop caring about others taking part in that humor.

After all, my sense of humor is far from saintly. But I do keep my humor contained to people who I know share my sense of humor, you can get some really weird looks from people if you tell a person a joke that's too dark for their tastes.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

I don't mind the humour as long as it makes me laugh.

Not trying to sound edgy or anything but Dark Humour doesn't really affect me. I mean if it's about someone who has recently died then I think it's too soon, or if it's about an event that is personal to me I won't laugh but otherwise I usually do not mind and have a good chuckle at it.

I guess it depends on the joke.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: Ahkmed(or however you spell his name) the Dead Terrorist is my all-time favorite Ventriloquist dummy.
It's Ahmed. Without the K. Also, that video is so damn old. It was alright back then, but damn seeing it today just....eugh.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

retrolinkx wrote:I
It's Ahmed. Without the K. Also, that video is so damn old. It was alright back then, but damn seeing it today just....eugh.
It's Achmed, with a C. Also, I don't know which video you're talking about, but Jeff Dunham has done multiple other things since his first Comedy Central special with Achmed - at least 3 other specials including christmas and halloween specials, a TV show, and an autobiography.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Nova! wrote:
retrolinkx wrote:I
It's Achmed, with a C. Also, I don't know which video you're talking about, but Jeff Dunham has done multiple other things since his first Comedy Central special with Achmed - at least 3 other specials including christmas and halloween specials, a TV show, and an autobiography.
I see, he specifically spelt it that way. Over here, Ahmed can be pronounced "Achmed" as well as "Ah-med" so I just assumed.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

And I'm just plain ignorant when it comes to Arabic names and the romanization of Arabic words(though granted, Japanese is the only non-Latin character set I actually understand how to romanize).
Mephilesfan1
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: memento mori

Post by Mephilesfan1 »

To be honest, I use dark humor quite a lot online, and in real life with my best friend. I joke about self harm and suicide and other stuff because I am trash. I have a bad sense of humor.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Everything can be made a joke unless there are no funny jokes. Examples: Genderfluid peeps can't be a joke because there are no funny jokes about genderfluid people. (Srs tho if someone has a legit genderfluid joke send it to me pls). That being said there are some times where jokes are inapropro, but as long as there is no one around who genuinely has triggers towards something then everything is fair game.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
naruto_chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by naruto_chao »

Personally, I don't like dark humor, it's not that I take offense to it, well, most of it anyway, but it's just not my thing.
hey there! I don't have anything to put here for the moment, you can just move along now.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

Dark humor is touchy to me. On one hand it can be genuinely amusing and bring everyone's spirits up, but on the other hand someone may have a bad experience with something and it would likely be very painful for them.