Summer of 2016 Topic

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Summer of 2016 Topic

Post by Goat »

So let's talk free time and enjoyment.

When does it start for yous guys?
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Re: Summer of 2016 Topic

Post by Rajikaru »

It started 22 days ago for me.

Hashtag college life
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Maple
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Maple »

My college gets out hella late, so I won't be starting my summer break until the 8th of June. Super excited for the semester to be over though.
"stop talking about your dried up fruits."
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Maple, for a semester system school you are getting out really late. Mind if I ask where you go? I think I recall you mentioning you are near Irvine (I am at UC Irvine, so I am getting out at a similar time to you. Weird quarter system schools.) I guess high schools in California also get out at a similar time, too.

Anyway, I am currently searching for a job/internship for the summer. Last summer I though I had an internship lined up, but it fell through, and then I spent most of the summer extremely bored as all my friends actually had jobs and lives. It was really unpleasant. So I will most certainly not let it happen. Hopefully my application to a Behr internship goes well.

Beyond that, I will still have more time than during school, so I will be enjoying more time for doing nothing. I have a fair line of games I plan to play, and I may watch through The Office. Not much else planed for vacation or anything.
ZipoCXG
Chao Artist
Chao Artist
Motto: Well have you had curry?

Post by ZipoCXG »

I've been on an extended Summer break since I graduated High School in 2013. I seriously need to get off my lazy *** and do something already..
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

Post by Tsui »

I'm not in school at the moment but I think our district releases in a week or so, or maybe it's this week I don't remember

of course with the constant flooding recently I wouldn't be surprised if they extended the year to make up

this is the year that all the kids I was classmates with back in elementary school will graduate, but I need to get around to getting my GED, sadly my parents decided that buying a new couch was more important and my education has to be set aside until later for that (Real Nice (sarcasm))

my birthday is in the middle of summer so after that's when everything will be put into motion if it ever does.

until then I'm drawing all the time (when I'm in one of my better moods), working hard on my art & art styles so I don't think of it as wasting time

also our car has no air conditioning and that's pretty bad in the very hot & very humid place that is houston in summer, so I suffer
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Summer for me started a few weeks ago. Ever since it has, I've left the house a total of one time. Most of my summer has been spent working on the discord servers i moderate, watching youtube videos, and video games. Average no-life things.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

It's 6 months away
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

It starts 5 hours and 13 minutes from now.

I can't wait to basically do what I've been doing this whole year, but this time without any deadlines for coursework.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Vaporwave
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Vaporwave »

my summer started like, three weeks ago

i'm really really thankful to be on summer break, i didn't take last summer off from college and i almost entirely regret it. i highly recommend not taking summer college courses unless you need to catch up/retake something

so uh, i'm just going to chill over summer, play games and whatnot. i can't actually travel which sucks, if i could travel i'd go to the uk to see jmt (<3)
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

I've got about three weeks left. *sigh*
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

My last exam was the first Friday in May, and normally, I would've started summer classes by now, but everything my school was offering for the summer was either something:
1. I've already taken.
2. an uppder level course in a subject I haven't had the foundation courses in.
3. In a subject I've developed an aversion to.
4. only offered online(I may spend nearly every waking moment with a computer keyboard in hand and few instructors have any business teaching*, but I still need that face-to-face time to keep me on schedule).

*No offense to college professors(you don't get a PH.D. without knowing your stuff), but knowing the material inside and out isn't the same as knowing how to effectively pass that knowledge on to the next generation.

Unfortunately, by the time I found out about the total lack of viable summer classes, it was too late to seriously consider an internship, so I'm taking the summer off for the first time in... I honestly can't remember the last time I took the summer off... It might have been 2012, but I have no easy way of checking if I took summer classes that year, before that, I think it was 2003.

Honestly, I've never been a fan of summer vacation, and voluntarily attended Summer school following the 4th-8th grades and the only reason I didn't continue doing so through highschool was that the combined k-12 school I attended from the 4th-12th grades didn't have Summer School for the high school segment. I took my first college class the summer following high school graduation and the only summers I know for a fact I didn't take summer classes since then were 2006, during which I took a summer job and 2011(during which I had an internship) and both summers were when I was between schools.

Anyways, since school let out, I've actually managed to reach a point were I feel like my reading list is having items removed from it faster than they are being added, and I've made more progress on my fanfiction writing in the last month than I did in the four months prior. I've also had a physical, found out I have one of the lowest A1Cs my physician has ever seen, had my lower back x-rayed for signs of untreated injury causing my mild but chronic back pain, and bought a veggie slicer that will hopefully lead to me getting back in the habit of eating salads on a regular basis.

And, in the hopes of the summer not being a total waste from a professional development standpoint, I'm hoping to test for a few certifications over the summer. My current short list of certs to pursue:
-The lowest level of the C++ Institue's C++ Certifications.
-Linux Essentials Certificate from the Linux Professional Institute(LPI)
-CompTIA Linux+ and using it to get my LPIC1.
-CompTIA A+
-Perhaps some other CompTIA certs.
-Not a certification, but I also hope to take the GRE over the summer in hopes of getting into Grad school following my graduation in December.

Right now, the biggest hurdle is applying for testing accomodations, and while most of the tests are handled by the same testing centers with accomodations handled on the testing center's side rather than the test developer's side, the accomodations procedures so far don't appear to be very accessible. The cost of testing might be an issue as well(Of the tests I've checked prices on, the cheapest is over 100USD and the most expensive is 300USD), but fortunately, I'm presently debt free and dangerously close to having more money than I know what to do with.
chocohugs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: a minute of thought is worth a lifetime of effort

Post by chocohugs »

my summer also started like a month ago

i've just been hanging out with friends and playing video games, i haven't really had the motivation to draw which is sort of a problem
but this friday is my boyfriend's senior prom so i'm going to that and then we're all gonna stay down at the beach for the weekend so that should be nice
tumbl - twittr | avatar by tsui
(15:29:10) Jack_Augustine has never been hugged by a girl before
NachoThePikachu
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Never let the world change your smile.

Post by NachoThePikachu »

Today was my last day for this school year

But I have to do some college prep summer camp thing which eats up a majority of my break and only leaves me with two free weeks.

Fun :C
☆~Bow down to the Banana Lord~☆
Add me on Discord! ☆ NachoThePikachu#0622
TwitterDeviantArtTwitch
Ivo-goji: Of course. Bananas are always the answer. How foolish of me to think otherwise.
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

ayy i just got out

crazy how everyone either got out yesterday or a few weeks from now. i'm a special snowflake i guess
Maple
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Maple »

Mamkute wrote:Maple, for a semester system school you are getting out really late. Mind if I ask where you go? I think I recall you mentioning you are near Irvine (I am at UC Irvine, so I am getting out at a similar time to you. Weird quarter system schools.) I guess high schools in California also get out at a similar time, too.
I'm at Long Beach City College. The academic calendar is relatively in line with the local highschools, but CSULB got out a few weeks ago.
"stop talking about your dried up fruits."
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Trash-ItTrevor
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Trash-ItTrevor »

Haha, wellllll....

I slave my life away at a grocery store just 5 hours a week shy of Full Time, so I may have enough shekels to pay for everything that makes my existence hard :D haha yay adulting!

That's my summer, I get no break. Next college semester is in the fall, then things get even worse hahaha :,)
:darkcry:
Oh, god...