I ask for Unlimited Fun

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

I ask for Unlimited Fun

Post by Goat »

It's come to my attention in the spicy meme topic, a post was removed that was relevant to the transexual subject and theory that there are more than two genders.

Now, I don't know which one of you did it. But I find this to be a rather gross use of moderator action on what I will refer to collectively as the tumblr colony we have here.

You have found a post, in a topic that had nothing that insulted anyone from the colony as an individual offensive. Took the time to rather than leave, report this as being on the same lines as everything else that call for moderator action. When it came to the club, people were told not to post there unless they were a part of it. We were warned and some of us who posted were in my opinion properly dealt with.

But this? What rule says that we're not allowed to have our own opinions on the subject of transexuality? What interpretation of the rules tell any of you that because you are offended, something must be removed. You were offended, not attacked, not insulted, you simply disagreed with something said and found it reason enough to use moderator action to remove it.

I ask that anyone who identifies with the tumblr colony or agrees with what happened, to back off and let people who want to be free to post to post instead of find they insulted others because they weren't fully dedicated to their political platforms. This is a very long winded way of saying "Leave people alone" and maybe it's not entirely welcomed even by the people who are affected.

But if I ignore this or anything like this again, I've understood this has stopped being an isolated incident and find it necessary to bring to everyone's attention.
Speeps
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher

Re: I ask for Unlimited Fun

Post by Speeps »

thank **** i don't have to deal with this stuff now
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao
Motto: Vugzahd, rei ahrk storniik.

Post by Skonia »

y'all...
Image Image Image
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Now why would you redirect me to reddit, I can type it out in my search bar just fine.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

I just love how Goat posted this really serious and long post that should definitely be treated more seriously than Goat is treating it, and everyone's just ****posting in the replies. It makes me feel a bit better about the world.
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Skonia »

Goat wrote:Now why would you redirect me to reddit, I can type it out in my search bar just fine.
you appear to be lost, i thought i'd give you some help
y'all...
Image Image Image
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

But if this is a problem on CI, why should it be on reddit?
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Skonia »

youre asking for unlimited fun
y'all...
Image Image Image
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Skonia wrote:youre asking for unlimited fun
Yes, because someone got reported over offending someone, over something that people are free to challenge.

Just because someone else disagreed with something in a topic that had nothing to do with them, doesn't mean that someone needs to use moderator action to enforce people to abide by their offended feelings.

I mean, I disagree with people here but I don't find it appropriate to report them for disagreeing with them. I'm sure you don't either.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Still don't understand where the "Unlimited Fun" comes in.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

The part where people who are different don't have to report each other because they get offended.

That way, if people leave each other alone, everyone is free to have fun.
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Skonia »

a forum like this is geared towards children or young people

posting images that can be considered offensive to specific people that bring no harm in return can be damaging and prove a bad image to future members, and possibly even add on to the erasure of someone's identity and daily struggles.

saying the act of removing said images is an abuse of moderator power because "people dont agree with it" is childish. this would be no different if the subject was about someones race or sexuality.

simply saying someone should leave doesnt change what has already been seen.
y'all...
Image Image Image
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Okay call me stupid but I still can't see how it's "Unlimited Fun".

Is it "Unlimited Fun" in the sense that there's no censorship based on opinion? I can see where the "Unlimited" comes in, but not the "Fun".
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Pufflehugs wrote:Is it "Unlimited Fun" in the sense that there's no censorship based on opinion? I can see where the "Unlimited" comes in, but not the "Fun".
If there is no censorship based on opinion, fun will come out of it.
Skonia wrote:a forum like this is geared towards children or young people

posting images that can be considered offensive to specific people that bring no harm in return can be damaging and prove a bad image to future members, and possibly even add on to the erasure of someone's identity and daily struggles.

saying the act of removing said images is an abuse of moderator power because "people dont agree with it" is childish. this would be no different if the subject was about someones race or sexuality.

simply saying someone should leave doesnt change what has already been seen.
If people can be that offended, why would they use the internet? It doesn't make sense, if they can potentially see something offensive why would they want to use the internet? No one can guarantee their safety at all!

Also, this wasn't a matter of someone saying "I hate black people" or "I hate women". This was mocking the idea that there are more than two genders, if someone's identity can be damaged, prove a bad image for the website and future members, and do the rest as you describe. The outcome hasn't been any better, you call it childish, but I call it both damaging and providing a bad image for the website that people can have what they say removed if the person doesn't agree with it politically.

Yes, they may have seen it. But that's just a part of life isn't it? You can't remove everything that's unpleasant or offends you, when you do so it creates it's own unpleasant and toxic environment

But if people here can accept that they're okay with seeing things they disagree with, people don't need this kind of discussion. They stay in their corner, I stay in mine, and no one is invalidated, and no one gets censored.
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Skonia »

the concept of gender has been molded into what it is commonly, male and female, and people believe it to be DIRECTLY connected to what kind of parts their body has, and this has gained negative stereotypes that people dont fit. in actuality, gender is very very loosely related to that.

some people are merely taking the concept of gender and thinking it outside the box, maybe someone doesnt want to identify as these 2 things, people might discover more things they can fit to themselves to make them... them. these things are a part of what makes someone who they are, and it can get very personal, some people are still confused about themselves so they fit themselves into neither gender until they can figure out what they like. a lot of ideas regarding this seem very outlandish and "weird", but a lot of things change. sometimes the meaning of gender gets a little lost, some people probably take the word gender and make it mean the same thing as "aesthetic" but honestly, nothing is really wrong with that, now is there?

youre taking this, complaining that an image that made fun of these people is a political opinion, and continuing to try and defend yourself by finding as many ways as possible to be able to speak out against these people as if theyre carrying a plague and destroying your crops and then crying when they, unsurprisingly, dont want to be bashed for a concept thats personal.

yes the internet is rife with similar things, but it still helps to lessen the nonsense as much as possible to make it more bearable.
y'all...
Image Image Image
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Post by Pentagrami »

it wasn't me but as a non-binary individual i do feel personally offended by the implication that genitals define gender expression and that there's only 2 of them.

don't tell me this joke isn't exclusively built for griefing the trans and non-binary community. as a joke it's purpose is not debatable commentary, it is a mere attack.

don't be surprised when you call in people to post offensive **** on a public website and someone actually gets offended by it. even if you don't consider it a personal attack someone might. that's up to them not you.

moderators act on a lot less sometimes. they are not cops they are people who take time from themselves to make sure people feel comfortable on this website. if your definition of personal comfort involves having the right to disregard others' own then you should work on redefining that.
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

JmTsHaW wrote:thank **** i don't have to deal with this stuff now
Lucky you.

I think an issue with this topic right now, is that people are beginning to discuss two separate things. Nonbinary gender issues, and Goat's issue with moderation removing something that is debatably not rule breaking. (Also two other, even more tangential topics. Puffle trying to understand Goat's post title, and a discussion about a link to reddit that got nowhere. I am glad these two topics are less prominent now, and just posting a link to reddit is definitely not helpful.)

I am just going to address Goat's issue with moderation.
The offense of the post in question is most infringing on:
No harassment or discrimination of other users.
The rules go on to talk about "user or groups." So just because it did not target an individual, does not reduce its offense. And how close is "offense" to "harassment" or "discrimination" or "flaming"? I guess that is a question for moderation.

So, how offensive was the post? Is it the fault of the poster or people taking too much offense to things? I think my stance on this is about the same as my stance on pretty much every other moderation issue: Both sides are silly. People should know and recognize how people on this site may respond to certain topics. Just because there is a group that you disagree with, an alleged "tumblr colony," does not mean they are not a sizable portion of the site, or that some people may take offense to things you don't quite understand. On the other hand, I think people should talk through problems on their own, and not demand/require moderator action.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Hmm, I've been a moderator for a few months, i think i can translate this.

Don't be ****** and try to deal with problems without being ******. if you act ****** you gonna get the ctrl + alt + del.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Skonia wrote:in actuality, gender is very very loosely related to that.
To you, but not to me. Why should people accomidate your belief? There are people who will follow it, and there will be people who don't. If something like this is what happens to people who don't, mock the idea and not a single person. It becomes clear that one has been favored and picked over the other.

You say some people, and I say what about everyone else? It is weird, it is outlandish, I don't agree with it. Am I allowed to disagree with it is the question, and if I don't want you to spread it and use moderator action against you to supress and hide what you say, what will you call it? From hard science alone, there is a lot to disprove and label these people are harmful to children themselves not in action but in the thoughts they give them. Should I tell you to stop, or should I leave you alone?

If this is what transgender people need to support their idea's, people have a habit of refusing this kind of thing and making fun of the people who told others to be quiet. I've seen it happen with scientology, I've seen it happen with the catholic church, a new idea, a new wave of people, but the same actions and process to defend themselves.

If people don't want to be bashed for a concept that's personal, they shouldn't extend their feelings this way. Otherwise the internet has proven in the past this is the response that will happen, if this is the start of problems then we should start to work to avoid them by encouraging others not to let it extend like this.
Pentagrami wrote:even if you don't consider it a personal attack someone might. that's up to them not you.
The trans and non-binary community aren't the only one here on this forum I'll have you know. No one in this world has earned the luxury of being protected against offensive material.

Do consider that what you have said is something I can easily use and apply to other people if moderators truly intend on making sure everyone feels comfortable. If I want the same, some people's posts I have found offensive and attacks on me need to be removed because I'm also part of a community that has found offense in what others have said.
Mamkute wrote:Reply
The problem started when one group or person decided to use moderator action as an extension of themselves.

If it is left to moderator interpretation to decide what is offensive, one group or person has already gained leverage to extend what they themselves believe is offensive. If my alleged "Tumblr colony" is a minority, this is a huge mistake on moderation to let a minority of the website affect others who do not fit in with this minority. Your last statement however is very true, and will continue to be the source of trouble here if what can be seen as "offensive" is left to interpretation by a moderator. Despite that, I'd ask that you consider the second law of the three laws of logic when it comes to the law of excluded middle or third.
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

It's quite simple guys. You clicked on a thread called spicy memes in which the description states that the posts inside may be distasteful. You scrolled through until you found a joke that offended you, and then you wrote a lengthy spiel to the mods about why it's bad (spoiler: it's because it goes against your beliefs).

Instead of doing the normal thing of going "well that's distasteful" (refer to thread description) and moving on, you went out of your way to ensure that the post that didn't break any rules got removed because it was "baiting" and "attacking other users". No it wasn't. It was a meme referring to the fact that there are indeed only two physical genders in human biology. If you don't believe that, you're an idiot, plain and simple. If you're offended by the fact that in a biology class they'd refer to the genders as male and female, you need to reevaluate your beliefs.

I have absolutely nothing against trans/non-binary etc. people. The post in question wasn't attacking anyone. It was a lighthearted joke, all I expected was for you guys to see it, go "heh" and move on with your life. It wasn't a bloody political statement (which it seems Goat is trying to turn it into).

This site has gone so far down the drain that these same users will make every single irrelevant thread into a place to be offended. It was a distasteful meme in a distasteful meme thread and it got deleted because someone disagreed with it. That's not policing the rules, that's just using the mods to ensure your beliefs are the only ones, and because that's continuing to happen, I'm done with this site.

I'd just like to remind everyone that this is a site dedicated to a minigame within the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, NOT tumblr.

If anyone wants to see the post in question, here it is. If you click it and get offended it's your own fault.
Last edited by Crash32 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao

Post by Skonia »

crash

"physical gender" in biology is called sex/biological sex

gender isnt in biology, gender is a different kind of thing
y'all...
Image Image Image
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao

Post by Goat »

Crash32 wrote:It wasn't a bloody political statement (which it seems Goat is trying to turn it into).
I've done my best to stay consistent and call it a joke, sorry if I slipped up
Skonia wrote:crash

Science says otherwise
Nano
Legendary Chaos Chao
Legendary Chaos Chao
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!

Post by Nano »

Skonia wrote:crash

Maybe instead of posting an image that stated "**** this topic" you could've explained that to him and asked that he remove or change the meme picture to reflect that.
Pentagrami
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: bupsting makes me feel good

Post by Pentagrami »

crash, what is the point of making a public thread of offensive content if not to offend someone?? what's the point of public showcase of distasteful material if not to cause reactions?? if you want to circlejerk "memes" that are deliberately meant to offend people (this is calles bullying) private group messaging and sites dedicated to these activities exist

honestly triert
i'm tired of you and your victim complex
i agree to your terms in that case
i'll **** off
im jimmy pentagrami aka grami
firetruckz 2 hes bac wrote:Ghostbupsters
when will dilen come back from the war???......