Obscure music

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Gaon
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Obscure music

Post by Gaon »

Does anyone have that specifcally group/musician that you like a lot but not a lot of people seem to have an idea of who/what that is?

I can only name one right now and it's Yellow Magic Orchestra, a 70's japanese group that does electronic music.

Here's a video to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKW6eqlPcBY
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Re: Obscure music

Post by retrolinkx »

Spoiler:
XD
Alright, I'm done memeing for this month, later dudes.
Nah but srsly. I'm no connoisseur of music and don't really have a real taste of the whole music scene, but I'm a big fan of Toshiki Kadomatsu. Basically if you're ever wondering "Damn, I need to have more funk in my life". He's your guy. I also love some of his album names like "Weekend Fly to the Sun"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDORFUm9Dc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t9KfSwri90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUu1-OkeYt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GUgoMdAbU

I think a few of his songs were stolen sampled for some random Future Funk videos.

As for Yellow Magic Orchestra, I think they're pretty big in that sort of "Hey, check out this weird music I found" I know several people who sent me that exact video to show me who they were (must've been about 3 years ago or so) so if I know who they are and I couldn't even name 10 random bands let alone any song they may have made, you can assume they're not that obscure. But hey, what do I know?
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
strawberry-boyfriend
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by strawberry-boyfriend »

JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL JAI PAUL

Otherwise I like music critic **** basically so everything is a bit obscure but not excessively

My pet "I found this" band is Breakfast, an LA outfit who does like alternative synth pop I guess. They're cool.

I have a good amount of entry level jazz and Latin music experience so to a lot of folks that'll sound obscure but it's really not.
Reviews for Ravenyte
"One of the best users... I've ever seen." - Roger Ebert
"Incredible... Truly [a] transcendent user, one who will no doubt change the face of this website for good." - A.O. Scott
"Pretty good." - Werner Herzog
Dr. Roivas
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: urine speaks louder than words

Post by Dr. Roivas »

finally, a topic that's right for me

I feel like the most obscure **** I listen to would probably be, like, any of pat the bunny's works (johnny hobo, wdu, ramshackle glory, and his solo work (language warning for p much all of the above)), those prolly fit the bill

AJJ is another pretty solid example in roughly the same vein as pat, but like, way less harsh.
Last edited by Dr. Roivas on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism Killed My Once Proud Signature
Skonia
Seeker Chao
Seeker Chao
Motto: Vugzahd, rei ahrk storniik.

Post by Skonia »

i'm not sure if lesser known = obscure but i'll post these anyways

wolfgun
nitro
anosci
y'all...
Image Image Image
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

Depends how you define obscure, since it's a relative term. What may be obscure to most people wouldn't be obscure to others in certain circles. Especially in this age where finding less popular music is a lot easier, and there's a lot more people who make music as a hobby, including myself.

Anyways, there's a couple artist I can throw down.

ミドリ - ちはるの恋 I'm unsure how obscure Midori really is, but a lot of people I've talked to who seem to be really into music haven't heard of them. They were this punk band from Japan that would have a lot of jazz instrumentation, usually keyboards and bass.

Black Swan Network - Grains and Sauces This is a bit more obscure, really good side project of OTC.

Chocolate USA - All Jets Are Gonna Fall Today Cute music from pre-Elephant 6

Animal Collective - Essplode And then you have bands like Animal Collective, which certainly aren't obscure, I mean their last album was mostly just pop music, but they're earlier work which is more textured and experimental is so underappreciated that I've talked to people who call themselves Animal Collective fans but have never heard Spirit, Danse Manatee, or Hollinndagain.

So yeah, I dunno, I think there's a lot of musicians I listen to that some people would call obscure but that I would and a lot of my friends who are into various music scenes wouldn't consider obscure. The first 3 are good examples of artists that even people in my circles don't often talk about/know about