Media. Your preference?

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Media. Your preference?

Post by retrolinkx »

So, I recently started reading two manga's on the same day. A slice of life-y happy manga about billiards called "Breakshot" and another manga called Oyasumi Punpun about the events of a young boy over his teenage years. I found myself reading Breakshot a lot more than Punpun, but eventually a friend kept asking me to read Punpun and soon enough I was 30 chapters in Punpun while Breakshot remained at 5.

I finished Punpun around 20 minutes ago, 147 chapters of a depressing story of Punpun and his love life. You should read it if you've never read it before, it's very good and is truly quite heart wrenching. Although, if you don't mind a quick rundown of the story here.
Spoiler:
The story starts with Punpun as a child who meets a beautiful girl named Aiko that he has a crush on. Eventually he admits that he likes her and promises to do anything for her and never lie. One day she says that she wants to go across Japan to another prefecture, while they're still around 11 years old. He agrees, and she tells him that if he is lying. She'll kill him.

Of course, Punpun can't follow through with this and just lets it sit idle in his life for years. Fast forward to Middle School and Aiko has already forgotten about Punpun, he sees her holding hands with another boy and beings to feel that he still loves her. He spends the next few years of his life depressed and unsure of what to do with his life as the people around him start to become more and more distant.

Years pass and Punpun is a depressed and feels awful. Although by chance he notices Aiko at a train station and tries his best to catch up with her but fails. He decides to rent an apartment near the station and spend his time looking for her. Although, he meets someone else in the process and forgets about Aiko in his life. The next two years of his life he spends with an older wannabe mangaka who badly wants Punpun to write her a story for her manga. They get into a small relationship, but the girl always keeps it very distant to Punpun.

Eventually, Punpun finds Aiko at a Driving school and they reminisce and talk about old times. Punpun lies about his life at first, saying he has a good job, friends, girlfriend and more and Aiko does the same. Only for Punpun to tell her the whole truth because he wanted her to know what he had done to him, what happened to his self confidence and the fact he's been in love with her for over 8 years.

She tells him that she still wants to escape her life with him and Punpun, being much older and having access to a car decides to leave it all behind. Although, Aiko wanted to tell her mother about this, and this is where it all went wrong. When Aiko told her mother that Punpun will take care of her, the mother goes insane and as Aiko tries to leave she stabs her. Punpun finally snaps and tackles the mother to the ground, choking her to death. Punpun stitches up Aiko, bury the body and go on the run to their destined location.

As time goes on, and Aiko's wounds get worse. She starts to believe Punpun is trying to kill her to avoid being captured by the police, although Punpun never admits this as he is still in love with her. Since the police are looking for them, and they can't go to any hospitals they try to go to Aiko's uncle who had a small hospital in a rural village. Although as they get there, it turns out the hospital has been shut down for years and Aiko and Punpun just sit there together.

Aiko tells Punpun that she is happy that she was able to find love, and was happy that Punpun was there with her. They both fall asleep together and several hours later Punpun awakes to find Aiko dead, hanging from the ceiling. Unsure what to do with himself, Punpun grabs the body and carries it all the way they came. Telling her stories of what he wished could've happened for him and her. Until he eventually leaves her with some school children who happened to pass by and walks all the way back to his home to finally end it all.
Obviously, A LOT more happens and it's not just about Punpun. Many characters have many arcs and what I've written above here is hardly the whole thing, it's barely the gist of it. Also I may have got some things wrong due to being quite tired right now. I did read 50 chapters in one go.

Anyhow, after finishing Punpun I tried to give Breakshot a chance but I couldn't really read it after Punpun. I felt that I wanted something as sad as that was.

So I was just wondering. What kind of media do you prefer? A happy story with some ups and downs but ends on a happy note, or a sad story that tugs at your heart strings until you can't bear to move on, or maybe things that are not realistic, such as a story in space?

Do you actively seek these, or do you just read/watch/listen to whatever you come across and if you like that, do you try and find more from that person or similar things?

Do you have any reasoning for the media you read/watch/listen to? Do you like reading happy things because they make you feel happy, or you just can't handle sad things, or do you read sad things because you want to feel what the characters feel and possibly relate to it?
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Re: Media. Your preference?

Post by Rajikaru »

Funny media or media that can make me laugh.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Books- mostly science fiction or fantasy stories with an emphasis on worldbuilding like Tolkien or Edgar Rice Burroughs
Fanfiction- anything Sonic related
Comics- Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Manga- hardcore fanservice stuff
Anime- basically anything but mainly ecchi series like Monster Musume and long running action shows like One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball, Inuyasha, etc.
Cartoons- Samurai Jack
Movies- giant monster movies and once in a while a superhero movie to shake things up
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

generally horror and terror; absurdist fiction, cosmic horror, lovecraftian elements, gothic literature and victorian gothic, things about really morbid or macabre and the dark side of the psyche, unnerving existentialist crisis stuff, demons are interesting, kinda darker romance but romance in general, death and b-horror thriller stuff... especially if we're talking books and film.

not to be scared, i just really love that world; if i wanted to be scared i'd just read internet crying from socially inept niceguys with stupid facial hair on reddit lol
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Firstly, I'm gonna steal Ivo's list format:

Books- I don't read books, but if I did... I have no idea.

Fanfiction- "anything Sonic related" not that I read these often, if at all, but I ultimately have the same thing to say as Ivo.

Comics- how much fighting is there and how many pages do they spend on it and/or is it funny

Manga- Uhhh... I read the first 3 volumes of Pokemon Adventures and finished Ginji's Rescue Team? That's gotta mean something. Not really a fan of grayscale unless it's for situational effect.

Anime- how much fighting is there and how many episodes do they spend on it

Cartoons- how much fighting is there and/or is it funny

Movies- If it's not an animated movie there's like, a 30% chance of me liking it, and a 20% chance of me even watching it in the first place. Note: I don't even watch animated movies often.

Games- This is my preferred one over all else. Case in point being that I played (and enjoyed) the 2002 Spider-Man game and didn't watch the movie (don't attempt this at home kids), and I play games
based on some anime before watching them to gauge what I'm getting into. This wasn't part of the list I'm using or stated anywhere else in this topic, but it's genuinely what I like the most.

As a general, everything I like must look bright and colorful, but they can do whatever they want with the story.
I also find realism an unrealistic goal in cartoons, comics, and games that also dampens the fun, so I don't really like it. Guns are also generally lame because, they're limited in outcomes. There's like 5.

Additionally, making me laugh will usually make me enjoy your content more than others.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

My tastes are fairly eclectic, and I'm not sure I could name a genre I flat out hate.
eblu
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by eblu »

Books: Haven't really been interested in sitting down and reading lately, but usually I'm into realistic fiction and the occasional sci-fi.
Cartoons: Usually older ones that I'm either nostalgic for or something that sounds interesting.
Movies: Haven't been into movies lately as they're all just remakes, generic sci-fi movies (I couldn't tell which one was Interstellar or Gravity back when they came out), dim-witted children's flicks (who even greenlit Boss Baby?), or yet another superhero movie (dang it Marvel, chill out).
Music: I can usually get down to a nice house/big beat track, but I also like rock as long as it's energetic and fun (and not trying to be some sort of whiny emo "I hate my life" thing). I despise modern EDM though. Too much noise, not enough music.
Video Games: I adore 3D platformers. It's nice to see that the genre is starting to gain some traction again, seeing as the video game market is absolutely full of AAA garbage. I can also whale away at a puzzle game as long as the difficulty curve isn't too steep (looking at you, Picross) and I also anomalously love the Just Cause series (come on, who doesn't want to blow everything up). I do wish the industry was more experimental again.

Edited Ivo's template a bit. Anime and manga aren't things that I like and my stance on fanfiction is a seeeeeeeeecret. To be honest the only anime I actually watched faithfully was Sonic X, and even then I didn't know it was an anime (and Chris is a Gary Stu).
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

I've been into the human element lately. I don't like straight sad, but bittersweet is great, and so is something where the theme sneaks up from behind and suplexes you.
Mephilesfan1
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: memento mori

Post by Mephilesfan1 »

gonna steal the format as well lol sorry

Books- anything to do with romance, mental illness or disability or anything else that interests me
Fanfiction- anything that im obsessed with at the time lol
Comics- sonic comics
Manga- usually ecchi type manga, like monster musume or others
Anime- a wide variety of slice of life, sad anime, comedy, sci-fi, fantasy, anything like that. i'll watch pretty much anything lol except i've been v picky lately
Cartoons- i really really like kids shows/cartoons as well as rick and morty and others.
Movies- anything disney/pixar, dreamworks or other movies of genres that interest me
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

I definitely have grown to like ensemble-focused stories, or at least become more self-aware of it. And I say that to distinguish from stories that feature an ensemble of characters. Here's my take on the difference:

Ensemble-Focused: A series where there are arguably multiple main protagonists, and the viewer can casually pick who is more important to them. (Example: While Shinji Ikari is the protagonist of Neon Genesis Evangelion, it can equally be watched as Asuka's story or Misato's story being the most important. We follow Shinji the most, but airtime is heavily shared.)

Story Featuring an Ensemble: There is a clear protagonist who is directly followed and visits the adventures of other characters. (Example: Naruto is the focus of Naruto, and while there is a diverse cast, most of the time is focused either on Naruto or how he relates to their situations. While this may change temporarily for periods of time, what happens to Naruto is all that matters by the end.)

I could easily be nit-picking by suggesting a clear difference, but it is why I find myself revisiting Evangelion and Digimon, but getting bored with Attack on Titan. I like My Hero Academia, but to me, it is the story of Deku. Even if an episode focuses on another character, Deku is who I am there for. This is also why I loved Magical Girl Raising Project even though it was hot garbage: it gave me plenty of time to get invested in the other girls, not just Snow White.

Otherwise I tend to like very focused small-cast series that are very feel-good. Sweetness and Lightning comes to mind as a good example, but even romances like My Love Story!! or My Little Monster do this, where the cast is fairly small, and the focus is on the bonds between people. I like to see how people are brought together and stay together, in all forms. That's probably part of why Star vs. the Forces of Evil is so refreshing too.

I've mostly been watching anime lately so that's where my focus is there, but it applies to western media too. I either like to see a large group evenly sharing time, or a smaller group with focused on bonds. Setting rarely matters much to me, as long as characters are strong. I'll sit through a lot of nonsense just for good characters.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui