Do you feel you rush a lot of games or take them too slowly?

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Do you feel you rush a lot of games or take them too slowly?

Post by retrolinkx »

When you play a game for the first time, how much time do you feel you spend on it, and do you feel satisfied with the amount of time the game gave you?

Like for me, if I'm a fan of a game I'd want to game to be super long, but it doesn't mean I'll try to rush through it, but I won't take my time with it. Like with Pokemon Y I spent around 40 hours on it and I was playing it constantly, I felt I got enough time out of it and it was great.

But for a game like Asscreed 3. I sped through it because I wanted to finish it. It took around 4 days and was very unsatisfying, I more or less forced my way through the entire game so I don't feel like it had enough content.

Then we get to a game like DMC. I forced my way through 1 and 3 to an extent, but it felt pretty long even though I spent around 7 hours or so on the first one, and 20 hours on the third one.

As for being slow at completing a game, Destiny is still a meh game to me and I don't have a lot interest in finishing it as of now.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Re: Do you feel you rush a lot of games or take them too slo

Post by Rajikaru »

Borderlands 2 is teh most recent game I've played through that isn't TF2.

The main plot I didn't rush through, and it felt very well paced in terms of gameplay. The first DLC I played, Torgue's campaign, was just in the middle for the DLCs I've completed. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep was excellent, I think I played through it in 5-6 hours total. Scarlett and the Pirate's Booty one was probably the weakest out of the 3, it was about 3 hours long at most, and most of it was spent just getting from one place to another, though that might've been because I was overleveled so all the gunfights were trivial at worst, including the final boss. I've played through the main game twice with two different Classes and am planning to play through in True Vault Hunter mode as well as beat the game with every other Class I haven't used yet. So far I have 72 hours of gameplay on record, and for only ~$10, I'd say it was money well spent.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

For me, it personally depends on the game. If the game is incredibly atmospheric and the characters feel like actual personalities, I'll spend time on it (the number 1 game for me in this case would be Dust: An Elysian Tail for XBLA and PC (PC is better tho because 1080p everything)). Or if I like the aesthetic. My one weakness is games with an aesthetic I like *cougheverypokemongameeveroutsideofthefirsttwoduetotechnologicalrestraintscough*

However, games that are mechanically based and I have no reason to play other than the gameplay I tend to rush through or just not do anything progressive and kill ****.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

I'm the kind of guy who is buying about several new releases a month (I'll have accrued over 20 before March this year) and follows the industry schedule pretty closely, so I seldom have time to have any sort of remorse. If the game isn't good enough for me I (i.e. how abysmally mediocre Sacred 3 and Yoshi's New Island were) simply trade in to Amazon for $20 before it accumulates enough age to decrease it's value and move on. I also will bulk preorder most things so it's unusual I'm ever stuck with "I can't believe that's it!"

Case in point, I got both Xillia 2 and Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition on August 19th. Played both in that order and wasn't finished before Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate arrived September 3rd, which I started, which was followed yesterday by Fairy Fencer F. I also picked up Destiny after enough research into it.

I certainly don't take games too slowly, but I don't feel I rush either. If I can get enjoyment out of a game for at least six to ten hours I feel it's time well spent.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

I take my time, to make sure I don't miss anything
Then, once I'm approximately 10% through the game, I'll go back to TF2 [if it's on Steam].
Linds 269
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Linds 269 »

i tend to rush just bc i just wanna progress and progress and experience everything in kind of a "omg whats next??!" mentality but i do take my time at points
(19:42:34) chaosulitmaster: I find it so creppy that with a IP adress, you can find yuor hoes within a 15-20 mile radius. >.>
(18:57:45) Omelet: I AM INSERTING IT (13:17:50) Omelet: I DID INSERT IT
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

I takes me years to make any progress in any game, even ones I really enjoy. There are no exceptions.

For me the playing experience is something to be savored slowly, one level/chapter/dungeon/zone at a time, and cannot ever be rushed.

Subsequently, I buy video games only rarely, each purchase spaced out reasonably so that I can cherish every game properly and not divide my interests between too many different diversions.

Plus it's more cost effective this way.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
MarkeySpirit
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: It's not ogre, it's never ogre

Post by MarkeySpirit »

I like to rent a game before I buy it, so I know if it's a game that could last me a long time, because it might be something I want to replay. So I do play lots of games for short periods of times, but every once in awhile I find a game that lasts me a full year.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

I usually take a month on a game, or longer. Pokemon Black took me 3 months because I wasn't used to the sudden buff in difficulty. Touhoumon (Pokemon rom hack) I've had for over a year...and still haven't beaten due to the sheer difficulty (you NEED a full team of lv 100s to beat the E4. Seriously.).
Meanwhile some of the more current games I get are insanely short. Skylanders Giants I completed in ONE DAY. Skylanders took me a week. I've seen videos of people beating Skylanders Swap Force in just a few hours. Pokemon Y took me a month.
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
ZeroAlpha
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: ⍟ Prince Dignity ⍟

Post by ZeroAlpha »

How much time I spend on a single game normally depends on whether or not I've played it before, what genre it is, and the franchise. When playing RPGs blind, I typically take a while to finish them regardless of difficulty, because they're the types of games that I tend to take breaks from frequently and forget to come back and play; I've had Mario & Luigi: Dream Team since February and still haven't finished it yet despite finding the game really fun and enjoyable. In the times that I have played the game, however, I made a lot of progress in one sitting because I find it - or any good game, for that matter - hard to put down and tend to become a little engrossed in playing for a while. Platform games, on the other hand, are the ones I typically rush through every time even when playing them blind, but still enjoy nonetheless. I sometimes actually challenge myself to see how long it takes me to make it through the game to the ending when playing titles like the Insomniac Spyro games and Mega Man. Sometimes, though, it does feel nice to take my time with certain games like Kirby's Epic Yarn, and others that include a lot of different scenery and visuals or areas to explore, because every now and then I might find something that I never noticed or paid much attention to before, which I always like.
chaobreedersmh
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by chaobreedersmh »

I take things pretty darn slow. I'll goof around, run around, swim and splash in every body of water I see, and do whatever I can because hell yeah that's my style. In Wind Waker, I devoted my time before beating the game to mapping out every island, and I had a freaking blast . It was awesome. I even just hung around because the atmosphere of that game is incredible. For every game I play, a major thing for me is just hanging out. Stare at a wall for a while. It's nice.

But with some games I rush the heck out of them. Like Pokemon. I don't read a single line of story from those games. It depends on if I have to get through plot in order to access certain things. For Pokemon it's flying and areas.

So yeah, things are usually taken really gosh darn slow, and I'm most often satisfied because I pick games to suit my wants. Which is being able to stare at a wall for 20 minutes if I want to.