Vidya Game Ideas (Because Wynaut)

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ommy
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Vidya Game Ideas (Because Wynaut)

Post by Ommy »

I just thought a topic about ideas we had for games would be neat. It can be based off current series or something unique that you thought of.

I have no idea if this is being worked on or anything, but I thought that a Super Mario Dimensions would be a cool idea. With all the 3D titles and stuff, I thought Dimensions would be a good idea to work off of. But I had different ideas for how they could pull this off -
  • Dimensions based off of other Nintendo series - So worlds are connected to other levels from other games, and you can switch characters at these points at different occasions and have to figure out different puzzles/face other enemies. All the Nintendo series basically team together against one force that threatens their existence. But then this game would probably be called Super Nintendo Dimensions or something
  • Something similar to Partners in Time. I always wanted another game in which you can explore the past, but in this one you can also explore the future, and the levels in the present change depending on what you do in the past and the future levels change based on what you do with the present, etc. So like a combination of PiT/SM64/SMG
  • Or just continue with 2D and 3D levels I guess
What ideas do you all have? And feel free to work off of others ideas, like what you think should change and what not.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Re: Vidya Game Ideas (Because Wynaut)

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Kirby Air Ride U

More cities
More tracks
More rides
1 More legendary machine

Sakurai-sempai, make it so.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

^
Yes. This needs to be a thing.

I myself want some sort of reverse RPG, where instead of being a human fighting monsters, you're a monster fighting humans.

The character creation at the beginning could have even more possibilities due to different body styles, parts, colors, and more.

I'd definitely buy a game like this.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

Citrus, I remember the youtuber Cry made..er..attempted to make a rpg just like that...kinda. the protags were 4 slimeballs, and they were being chased/attacked by humans, as well as wild animals. he never went far into it, but it was interesting from what he showed.
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

God Hand 2.

Bam, just saved gaming.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by CitrusCat »

ShadriaFan wrote:Citrus, I remember the youtuber Cry made..er..attempted to make a rpg just like that...kinda. the protags were 4 slimeballs, and they were being chased/attacked by humans, as well as wild animals. he never went far into it, but it was interesting from what he showed.
Ah, cool! It's just a shame that projects like that never seem to get finished... Maybe someday, someone will make a full game with a similar concept. Hopefully.
What is my life anymore?
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

A Hex-grid SRPG with Disgaea levels of ridiculous.

How about a SRPG with a full 3-D grid(i.e. Height is an integral feature, flying units can actually choose how high above ground they are, and AoE patterns consist of a 3-D arrangement of cubes instead of a 2-D arrangement of squares)? For example, a Basic Fireball spell might hit only a single cube on the 3-D Grid, while a Flame Column spell targets a square of ground and hits every cube of space above that square if it doesn't get blocked, and a firestorm spell might hit 13 squares at ground level, 9 one level above ground, 2 two levels above ground, and 1 3 levels above ground(For those less familiar with SRPGs, the 13 square pattern would be a 3*3 plus the middle edge squares of a 5*5, and the 5 square pattern would be a simple cross). This would slso mean that grounded units could position themselves under flying units and attack straight upward if they have enough range(or vice versa with flying enemies attack straight downward), and an Archer's range might be reduced if the ceiling is too low to let their arrows properly arch. Most SRPGs already have an height mechanic, but it's usually limited to things like can't move to an adjacent square directly if the height difference is too great, can't attack an in-range square if the height difference is too great, and if two squares are close enough in height to attack each other, higher ground incurs an advantage in damage dealt/recieved.

Also, all in-game text is spoken, including menus, though this can be disabled(the idea being to make it possible for low vision players to navigate menus and consume in-game instructions). Not sure for other genres, but I'm confident that, with the right integrated assistive technologies, an SRPG could be made blind playable.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

we really need a game that plays like an mmo fantasy, sort of like a combination of skyrim and maybe rift/tera like playstyle (but more emphasized on a skyrim/elder scrolls like gameplay) that revolves around dragons and other monsters. you are a dragon. you have a lot of customization to yourself, etc.

there is one game that slightly fits this criteria but its really old, but i still liked it. its called i of the dragon and it has very small customization, theres only 5 or so different dragons you can pick from, and you just did dragon things like eat enemies and protect towns (you were a good dragon basically) and i'd want a game thats like that but obviously incredibly expanded upon, and i think it'd be a great idea

also the dragons arent allowed to look cartoonish as hell, that would severely ruin the whole idea prolly, and also you as a dragon shouldnt be the bad guy because, dragons are cool, dragons can be good guys
help me
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by CitrusCat »

^
I knew you were gonna say that. I remember when we discussed this in the Chatbox that one time when I was trying to find an MMO just like that (but to no avail, sadly).
What is my life anymore?
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

A dragon simulator actually sounds like an interesting concept, though it wouldn't feel right for the game to railroad you into being a benevolent dragon. Sure, claiming a village as part of your horde and serving as a guardian beast, perhaps even fending off more hostile dragons should definitely be among potential choices the player can make, but going on a rampage, razing villages and making snakcs of the people or training a village to offer you tribute and snacking on a human if you feel they aren't paying enough tribut should also be among potential game paths. Hell, given how large a dragon's hunting grounds could be, who says you have to treat all villages the same? Perhaps one village gets your protection because they maintain large herds of tasty livestock or are eager to appease you with gifts of finely crafted jewelry while another village recieves your wrath for over hunting your favorite wild prey or sending a would be hero to try and slay you. Maybe you happen upon two kingdoms at war and decide to help one side achieve a decisive victory that leads to the Kingdom you helped worshipping you as a god given flesh while the survivors of the other kingdom fear you as a demon spawned from the pits of hell. Of maybe you completely ignore the humans in your range for the most part but fly near human settlements just often enough to keep the locals gossiping about whether or not you exist.

If done right, there's quite a lot of potential for open-ended gameplay.

Though why stop at Dragons? There are plenty of great creatures, both real and mythical that could make for interesting gameplay in a setting where supernatural creatures go about hunting or foraging for food, amassing the kind of shiny objects they like, perhaps occasionally playing tricks on humans if not outright terrorizing them or whatever they want.

In addition to Dragons(whose major options before getting into fine details might include several choices of body style among quadruped, biped, and serpentine both with and without wings, a dozen or so elemental affinities, general size, and dominant color scheme), I could imagine being able to take the form of:
Birds(Including choosing between numerous birds of prey, phoenixes and thunderbirds, and perhaps lessor known mythical birds)
Canids(Including Various breed of wolf(some including some variation of lycanthopy that can infect other organisms) and fox(some having the supernatural properties ascribed them in Japanese folklore) Cerberus, and probably other mythical canines I can't think off top of my head. Perhaps choosing one of these as your form gives the option between leading a pack or playing solo.
Cats(Mainly things like Lions and Tigers, but Spinxes could probably be included as well.
Perhaps a top level class that includes things like Sasquatches and Yetis.
Perhaps some non-Dragon reptiles such as large turtles, gorgons, or basilisks.

Basically, take a selection of a few dozen boss class creatures from the bestiaries of high fantasy and mythology the wold over, let the player pick one, customize it to their hearts content, and let the player loose in a randomly generated world with a variety of indigenous flora and fauna with a human settlement very few in-game miles, and let the player do whateever. If the player's avatar dies, perhaps give the options of reincarnating as another of the same creature, raising as some kind of undead to seek revenge on the one who caused your death, designate a member of your pack/tribe/what have if one exists as an heir, or reincarnate as something new.

Of course, one problem might be creating a large enough world for players who have chosen an avatar that isn't very limited in range without it feeling repetitive to explore. Seriously, if your playing as a Dragon with a 50 meter wingspan who can travel 100 miles in a day and fly for days on end without tiring, you might need to generate an entire virtual planet to avoid hitting an invisible wall. Of course, if you wanted to make it MMO, having a virtual planet for each server might be the way to go even if most players end up choosing less mobile avatars.

In short, Medival/High Fantasy sandbox playing as a mythic beast sounds awesome.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by CitrusCat »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:In addition to Dragons(whose major options before getting into fine details might include several choices of body style among quadruped, biped, and serpentine both with and without wings, a dozen or so elemental affinities, general size, and dominant color scheme), I could imagine being able to take the form of:
Birds(Including choosing between numerous birds of prey, phoenixes and thunderbirds, and perhaps lessor known mythical birds)
Canids(Including Various breed of wolf(some including some variation of lycanthopy that can infect other organisms) and fox(some having the supernatural properties ascribed them in Japanese folklore) Cerberus, and probably other mythical canines I can't think off top of my head. Perhaps choosing one of these as your form gives the option between leading a pack or playing solo.
Cats(Mainly things like Lions and Tigers, but Spinxes could probably be included as well.
Perhaps a top level class that includes things like Sasquatches and Yetis.
Perhaps some non-Dragon reptiles such as large turtles, gorgons, or basilisks.
...Wow. That part is almost EXACTLY what I had in mind for character customization with my little "monster RPG" idea. The only difference is that I didn't really consider the Sphinx, Sasquatches, Yetis, or Gorgons as options in terms of what people could create for their character. Mainly because I think those are a bit more humanoid in some aspects (Sphinx has a human head, Sasquatches and Yetis are humanoid apes or something, and then Gorgons are basically really human-like creatures with snakes for hair that turn people into stone (with Medusa being an example of a Gorgon)).

I didn't really consider them since I've seen various MMOs already that let you choose a humanoid monster as your character. Not those creatures specifically, from what I've seen, but IDK. I guess I was just imagining people being able to create primarily animal-like monsters specifically.

Also, I am debating on whether or not it should be some sort of sandbox game, where you can basically run around doing whatever, or if it should have some sort of story behind it. Hmm...
What is my life anymore?
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Yeah, I can see where Sasquatch, Yeti, and Gorgons kind of blur the line between Humanoid and Beast, especially since Gorgons are usually portray with Human bodies at least from waist to hairline(and I'm not sure how accurate the snake body from waist down version is to the Greek myths). Of course, if we want some diversity, I'm sure there are plenty of lesser known folklore and myth that could be drawn upon.

Also, sandbox and story aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, though making the story optional enough that one can enjoy the sandbox and then come back to the story without getting lost can be a challenge as can writing a story with non-human protagonists without overly personifying them(while allow biped breeds of Dragon might be okay, I doubt we want any of the beasts going full anthro on us.
Pumpkinium
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: spongebob

Post by Pumpkinium »

yeah thats a pretty good idea. id assume its possible to have an entire planet of locations, but it would require each location to be separate, itd obviously be too much for the game to load the whole planet in one go
help me