UNDERTALE

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 1 week old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Dr. Roivas
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: urine speaks louder than words

Re: UNDERTALE

Post by Dr. Roivas »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA **** DUDER I DIDDLY DANG DONE HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT THIS DIDDLY DANG DARN GAME I DIDDLY DANGLY WINGLY WANGLY WATCHED A COUPLE SILLY WILLY BANANA BOFILLY LPS ABOUT THIS GOZZITY GOSHDARN FEELFEST AND I ABOUT PLUMB FELL IN LOVE HOO WEE THIS GAME HAS MADE ME FEEL THINGS FEW OTHER GAMES HAVE MADE ME FEEL THE LAST GAME TO MAKE ME ACTUALLY CRY GENUINE TEARS WAS THAT DIDDLY DINGDANG WINGWANG GANGBANG MOTHER 3 AND MGS4 GOT A SNIFFLE AND SOME MISTY EYES AT THE WORST BUT GOSH DANG SOME THINGS HAPPEN IN THIS GAME THAT GOT THE OL WSTERWORKS A WATER "WORKIN" IF YOU CAN PICK UP THIS SPICY GRIDDLE IM LAYIN DOWN MY DUDE

SURE IS A SHAME I DONT HAVE ANY MONEY AND CANT AFFORD TO BUY THE GAME HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHOOHOOHOOHOOHOOHOOWEEMYBOYTHATSUREISAFUNNYHAHAHAHA end me
Capitalism Killed My Once Proud Signature
Jaymes Keller
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Jaymes Keller »

bufu12 wrote:But like every popular franchise it comes with a cancerous fan base. The fan base is terrible where they will rage hard over something so idiotic. I don't why they rage over it, but I can tell you that it's growing.
That's because the fan base is mostly comprised of Tumblr users, and I speak from personal experience that they're hair-trigger over their anger. I swear, it's like walking on eggshells or something around them.

As to why they like it*? From my understanding, and watching several videos about it when I'm bored, it seems to challenging a lot of gaming conventions.

*As a side note, the main programmer seems to have been involved with the (in)famous webcomic "Homestuck", so that might be another reason.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Fanbase is literally just dank memes, cute/grim alternate universes, and headcanons.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

Midnite wrote:I also like the Amalgamates, especially Reaper Bird.
No! Do not bring those memories back, you terrible creature! I saw those things over a month ago and they still keep me up at night! Not even Giygas or Uboa managed to do it for that long!

Just please don't bring these terrors up again. :herocry:
SketchLite5
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by SketchLite5 »

So Undertale fan base pretty much pissed off a bunch of people on the Internet with their polls of which game is the "BEST GAME EVER MADE"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/bge20_vote

It's making me so salty.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Daily reminder some indie game won a meaningless poll on some forum on the internet, that totally made sure to check for the same person voting on it via different account and IP's and such.

I know two things. I haven't played Undertale and it's not the greatest game ever made, but honestly, who cares if it won some meaningless poll? Granted I can see the anger behind it, but once you understand that it didn't win it fair and square and hardly deserves it, you can sleep easy. From what I've seen, the votes were basically people who actually played and enjoyed the game, people on tumblr were able to force other people to vote for the game to win, and let's not 5get the people who voted Undertale as a joke ALONG with the people who made multiple accounts and dynamic IP's and all that bs just so they could vote for this game again and again and again.

Honestly, the poll was meaningless when GameFAQ's decided to not put Skies of Arcadia in there. I mean come on.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

the whole "BEST GAME EVER MADE" thing is literal clickbait anyways. There is no best game ever made. Not surprised that a bunch of salty peeps are rallying against Undertale. For every popular trend there is an anti-trend. First law of video game trends.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Dr. Roivas
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: urine speaks louder than words

Post by Dr. Roivas »

Honestly the ****** wave of salty dude bro gamers who lost their **** when undertale won added, like, 12 years onto my life it was pretty great
Capitalism Killed My Once Proud Signature
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

All I know is people were willing to PAY TO ADVERTISE FOR GAMEFAQS TO VOTE AGAINST UNDERTALE. That certainly gave me a solid laugh.
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

The whole best game ever thing is silly and makes me smile. It's just a stupid poll. EvenIfIDoThinkMeleeWasBetter.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

In my opinion, Undertale is the best RPG (along with Earthbound, and I'm not counting Pokemon and Digimon), but not the best game. I consider games like "Super Mario Sunshine", "Pikmin 2" and "Spyro: Year of the Dragon/Spyro 3" to be better. It's probably just nostalgia saying that, but it is just my opinion.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Its entirely nostalgia. Spyro hasn't held up through time at all.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

EvilPinkamina wrote:Its entirely nostalgia. Spyro hasn't held up through time at all.
I digress. I was just playing that particular Spyro game yesterday and it is just as good as I remember.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

When undertale first got popular I looked into it and stuff and thought it was a pretty interesting game. Had some cool characters (Sans and Papyrus ♥♥♥) and the gameplay was pretty neat.

Though I find it pretty preachy about the whole oh noes you monster ur just killin critters to get stronger you're a monster and terrible and you enjoy endless slaughter. Mmm no it's only bad in this game in particular otherwise grinding in other rpgs is pretty much the norm and required to progress. And you're fighting creatures that are actively a menace to the population.

When monsters aren't bad guys I will spare them. When they're not they die.

I'm mostly interested in finding out about what's up with Dr. Gaster or whatever the dude who speaks in hands is supposed to be.

Do I think Undertale was a decent game? Yeah. It has a unique gaming mechanic that I haven't seen in RPGS before. However I call bull on the whole doin the genocide run once = all other save files are tainted from this moment on unless you delete the game from your computer completely.

Do I think it's worth all the hype its more hardcore fans give it? Not at all. It's a unique experience, but it's not that great of an rpg. It's forgettable. Hell my first reaction to seeing screenshots of it was about how terrible it looks visually. Outside of battles the sprite work is pretty... ehh. I only looked into the game when my friend in the next state over told me about papyrus and sans. I won't buy the game myself, though. So I'll likely never play it.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

All you have to do to get rid of the bad bits is true reset after a TPE or delete 2 specific files in the save folder.

In the context of this game you are literally going to where these monsters live and are slaughtering them. It makes sense that peeps would be kinda pissed if you literally went to the place where your kind trapped them and started murdering peeps. Especially when you murder all of them.

Gaster is a character made for headcanons.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

Undertale is fantastic and deserves the praise it got. I thought it was pretty funny that 4chan and tumblr voted Undertale to the top, but if we're honest it never should have been on there in the first place. It's not a bad game, it's just one of the games that got picked up and ended up being a trend, like Five Night's at Freddy's when the first one came out.

I imagine Undertale will be remembered more like Cave Story than FNAF though, for obvious reasons. Either way, most people will move on eventually to something else and it'll all die down eventually.
Pufflehugs wrote:In my opinion, Undertale is the best RPG (along with Earthbound, and I'm not counting Pokemon and Digimon), but not the best game. I consider games like "Super Mario Sunshine", "Pikmin 2" and "Spyro: Year of the Dragon/Spyro 3" to be better. It's probably just nostalgia saying that, but it is just my opinion.
I wouldn't claim it's the best RPG, and not because of differing opinions but because of sub-genres. You mentioned Pokemon and Digimon, but there are enough types of RPG that you can't really ever claim that one is the best, much like games in general. For example, what about SRPGs? JRPGs? The latter already deviate, since Tales and TWEWY are two totally different types of RPG but come under JRPG.

It's just too broad to claim there's ever really one "best" one. I'm just nitpicking, though.
PinkIceFox wrote:Do I think it's worth all the hype its more hardcore fans give it? Not at all. It's a unique experience, but it's not that great of an rpg. It's forgettable. Hell my first reaction to seeing screenshots of it was about how terrible it looks visually. Outside of battles the sprite work is pretty... ehh. I only looked into the game when my friend in the next state over told me about papyrus and sans. I won't buy the game myself, though. So I'll likely never play it.
From someone who picked it up during launch week, the initial hype it got was very well deserved. It was a clever game that played with you in a number of ways and had a lot of replayability. I totally disagree that it's forgettable and think that the way it connects you to the story, involves you with the little things that happen and the ways that it plays with you throughout alongside the unique system mechanic of sparing and everything do make it stand out as something people will remember and point towards for future aspiring indie devs. I do agree that at this point, the hype the hardcore fans give it is blowing it way out of proportion, though. It's a really good game, but it's not the best thing ever.

I still prefer Cave Story, but Undertale is close behind.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Undertale is not FNAF. Stop.
Yukki 2.0
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Arrivederci.

Post by Yukki 2.0 »

^ What Flame is trying to say is that It's becoming FNAF in terms of the fanbase. The fanbase of Undertale is making Undertale a huge deal for everyone and popularity is skyrocketing. FNAF had the same issue when thousands of kids would make FNAF a huge deal.
The Chao Island Resurgence will occur in 2026.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Flame »

EvilPinkamina wrote:Undertale is not FNAF. Stop.
Nowhere in my post did I say Undertale was Five Night's at Freddy's.
Yukki 2.0 wrote:^ What Flame is trying to say is that It's becoming FNAF in terms of the fanbase. The fanbase of Undertale is making Undertale a huge deal for everyone and popularity is skyrocketing. FNAF had the same issue when thousands of kids would make FNAF a huge deal.
What I was referring to is the way people got so excited initially for FNAF and swirled around the game. It was a fad game, and a lot of people bought into it because of that and went to see what it was and were swayed by that, as the fandom boomed. Nowadays not many people are still SUPER HYPE about FNAF, as most people have moved on (and had there only been one of them, would remember the franchise fondly), similarly to Cave Story. The difference is that CS is a thing that not many are crazy about anymore, but everyone remembers fondly, which was why I drew parallels there. I expect Undertale to die off the same way CS did, though the fanbase did develop similarly to FNAF's. People will remember Undertale fondly (as Toby Fox has said he won't be making a sequel) and it'll be worth replaying at times, but that's all.
Yukki 2.0
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Arrivederci.

Post by Yukki 2.0 »

^ Yeah pretty much what I was trying to get at but you put it better
The Chao Island Resurgence will occur in 2026.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Post by CitrusCat »

So, since no one else has mentioned it yet...

Undertale received an update somewhat recently. There were some minor changes, and bug fixes of course.
But apparently, there were also some additional lines of dialogue added to certain characters (I don't know the specifics, though), as well as something that fans think is related to Gaster.

That's pretty cool.

(Also, I've been kinda wanting to change my avatar to Asriel Dreemurr, but I'm not sure if that would be OK since the character is a major spoiler. But then again, I think one or two other users on here are using him as an avatar already, so... IDK. What do you guys think?)
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
KeatonLabs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Dispencer goes HERE!

Post by KeatonLabs »

Games been out since september whats left to spoil?
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

^Everything. Because I haven't finished it yet because:
PinkIceFox wrote: I HAVE FOCUS PROBLEMS.
It's number 1 on the list of things I should really, really, really get to doing. Really.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Flame »

CitrusCat wrote:So, since no one else has mentioned it yet...

Undertale received an update somewhat recently. There were some minor changes, and bug fixes of course.
But apparently, there were also some additional lines of dialogue added to certain characters (I don't know the specifics, though), as well as something that fans think is related to Gaster.

That's pretty cool.

(Also, I've been kinda wanting to change my avatar to Asriel Dreemurr, but I'm not sure if that would be OK since the character is a major spoiler. But then again, I think one or two other users on here are using him as an avatar already, so... IDK. What do you guys think?)
The character existing IS a major spoiler, but the mere sight of the character doesn't necessarily allude to Undertale unless pictured with someone like Frisk or Flowey, or in Undertale's unique-ish art style. You should be good so long as it's just some image of him.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

i really like ASGORE
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.