How to run JP PC games (on Windows)

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tsui
Expert Chao
Expert Chao

How to run JP PC games (on Windows)

Post by Tsui »

It has been brought to my attention that some people may not have what seems to be basic knowledge of these things to we who regularly play stuff like VNs or Touhou or RPG Maker games, and so on.
This info could potentially be used to run games in locales other than Japanese as well.

First things first, this should fix two problems: wrong encoding (unintelligible seemingly random characters), and/or the game just plain not starting:
  • Go to Control Panel > Region and Language. Switch to the Administrative tab. Click on "Change system locale..." and switch the locale to "Japanese (Japan)". Restart your computer, and try running the game.
    There is another way to do this, using a program called AppLocale, where you pick an .exe and a locale and it will open it in that locale, but this doesn't always work.

This second step is for if you get the Japan Only / Japanese ver. Windows required message. This is increasingly common in newer Visual Art's games:
  • Acquire a "No Region Loader", and open the .exe that starts the game with it (in Key's case, "SiglusEngine.exe").
    I've heard you can bypass this with a Japanese virtual machine, but I have not confirmed this myself.

If your game still doesn't work, feel free to share your issues. :wink: