A bit late, but Happy Birthday Metroid

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

A bit late, but Happy Birthday Metroid

Post by Mamkute »

*Party blow-y thing sound*
So, how does everyone feel about the highly underwhelming anniversary year for everyone's second favorite behind Capt. Falcon space bounty hunter?
Hoping for a hype release of Federation Forces?
Formerly excited about the now taken down Metroid 2 Remake? (Very sad about it being removed. Metroid 2 is a very good game, for how old and colorless it is.)
More hoping desperately for F-Zero or something else spacey and don't care at all about Metroid?
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Re: A bit late, but Happy Birthday Metroid

Post by Roaxes »

Aw that picture. Poor Samus! xD

I've haven't really played any Metroid games all too much but I do got Metroid Prime on Gamecube that was actually pretty enjoying and should really try out again sometime since I haven't played it in years and would have more patience for it now.
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Yeah, I was gonna make a post about it but thought that no one would care, and linking to the Metroid 2 remake site might be considered advertising so I didn't.

Still, ARM2 is great it's a very difficult game too, each metroid is like a mini boss and you've gotta fight like 40 of them in the game or so. It's also quite short depending on how you play. I'm only around 2 hours in and I've got 5 Energy Tanks, 120+ Missiles, Spider Ball, Spin Jump, Charge Beam, Wave Beam, Spazer Beam, Varia Suit, High Jump Boots and more.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

I played Metroid 2 one time. I didn't like it. I couldn't see. (I actually still have it on my 3DS right now.)

If it was a GBC game it'd be a different story. I'd pay good money for a color version. With a map.

Anyways, anniversary, after E3 I'm not surprised. Celebrating it's anniversary would probably just bring more attention to the fact we haven't had a real game in 6 years.

It might be for the better that they didn't bring it up. Maybe.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Metroid II was one of the first handheld games I ever played. Good times.

Yeah, lack of stuff going on for the 20th anniversary is disappointing.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

retrolinkx wrote:Still, ARM2 is great it's a very difficult game too, each metroid is like a mini boss and you've gotta fight like 40 of them in the game or so. It's also quite short depending on how you play. I'm only around 2 hours in and I've got 5 Energy Tanks, 120+ Missiles, Spider Ball, Spin Jump, Charge Beam, Wave Beam, Spazer Beam, Varia Suit, High Jump Boots and more.
I am glad to hear it. I intend to play it as soon as I get access to a controller (which should be one or two weeks.) It's especially good to hear the Metroids are challenging. One of the most ironic things to me about metroids is how baby metroids are much much worse to fight than anything later (except I guess Queens.) The hardened exoskeleton removing the need to freeze them, and the more adults forms not sucking out life and latching on makes them do much less damage.

I enjoyed Metroid II when I went through my Metroid phase about 5 years ago, although it is definitely lacking many modern game commodities, as chaoadventures pointed out. I used an online map, like a cheater.

roaxes, you definitely should. It can be rough and confusing, but it is very good.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Samus is a cutie and I want to marry her.

Never played nor been interested in Metroid games. They just aren't my cup of tea, I don't like Metroidvania type games, and I'm not big on the Prime series either
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Dr. Roivas
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: urine speaks louder than words

Post by Dr. Roivas »

man i cant believe metroid turned 30 today. glad to see hes still in the jellyfish hunting game after all these years
Capitalism Killed My Once Proud Signature
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Dr. Roivas wrote:hes
I think Metroid is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

Maybe one day Nintendo will care about Metroid and its fans.

Exaggerations aside, AM2R is super fun, though the first Alpha Metroid with daddy long leg legs has killed me a few times now. I hope Samus gets a new game soon, though.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Fusion is the only Metroid game I've played for an extended period. The times I've tried the original, it proved too Nintendo Hard for my liking, I've never tried Metroid 2 or Super Metroid, and Prime kind of lost me once you land on the planet and there's no clear indicator of which way you're supposed to go. Granted, I think I originally got Prime for Christmas with a mess of other Gamecube games, so it might have been a case of other games I got at the same time made a better first impression and I never got around to revisiting it.

But if I was to play the original Metroid 2, I'd definitely want to play it on an emulator with Super Gameboy support, or at least GBC coloring(seriously, the fact that GB VC games are monochrome-only is completely unacceptable, and even the GBC's treatment of GB games was underwhelming after spending probably hundreds of hours on a Super Gameboy).
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

^

The original was one of those games that you had to play in the 80's to truly appreciate, especially as a kid. The idea behind a lot of games back then was the make your own map as you played and Metroid was no exception. For a lot of people, they made their own maps and constantly played and played until they beat it.

These days though, even with a map and a lot of time on my hands I just played the remake. The original isn't exactly bad, but after playing Fusion and several hours of Super I couldn't go back to the gameplay of the original, nor Metroid 2. So I'm happy both have been remade at this point.

Still haven't got round to the Prime games besides Hunters.
Flame wrote:Maybe one day Nintendo will care about Metroid and its fans.

Exaggerations aside, AM2R is super fun, though the first Alpha Metroid with daddy long leg legs has killed me a few times now. I hope Samus gets a new game soon, though.
Yeah, the first Gamma Metroid is in some dumb place, it was the first thing I died to in the game as well. The area you fight it in is so small and it does like 40 damage if it hits into you and 60 from the electricity. It's a pain but it's not too bad.

I beat it with 3 E-Tanks so if you have that many you should be fine.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

Yeah, after you fight it for a while, you get the hang of it. You just have to be patient, which was a case of a lot of the Metroid bosses. They were fun, though.

I just finished AM2R, and... wow. I couldn't play much of the original because it felt ridiculously difficult to navigate easily so I figured I'd wait for AM2R, and god damn was that a good decision. Such an amazing game, it's a shame Nintendo have pulled it. The final boss, Queen Metroid, doesn't play out exactly like I thought it would, though I was a bit upset that I knew how to beat it beforehand so when it sucked me into its mouth, I knew immediately to Morph Ball to its stomach and power bomb (edit: I realise now you can kill the boss in different ways. That's pretty cool). Meant I didn't get that "wow" moment of figuring out what to do. Still, it was an amazing game, and hearing the voiced line at the end made me smile knowing what comes next.

If you can find a good download link, definitely play AM2R. Feel free to send me a PM if you weren't able to get it, I'll find a way to upload it if people ask. It's so good.
Last edited by Flame on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

i also have AM2R if anyone needs it
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I finished AM2R, since I got access to a controller.
Very good game, very comparable in remake quality to what Zero Mission did to original Metroid (except the newness was more spaced out- not with a new area at the end.)

I experienced a glitch where when I had the gravity suit on I was invisible, so that was a solid pain for the later portion of the game, but it was entirely doable.
The game did an amazing job of surprising me everytime something new happened. New metroid attack, new non-metroid bosses, changes to the Queen fight, all startled me quite well.
Queen and first Omega metroid wrecked me numerous times, though, but that is a good thing. I am glad Omega metroids aren't tiny floating T-rexes, and are like the Fusion Omega metroid.

Anyway, game is highly recommended.