Switch leaker w/ 100% accuracy thus far says Mother 3 to be revealed on Jan. 12th

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Switch leaker w/ 100% accuracy thus far says Mother 3 to be revealed on Jan. 12th

Post by Sable »

https://www.gamnesia.com/news/rumor-mot ... ndo-switch
The Mother/EarthBound series is the definition of cult classic. Only the middle game of the trilogy initially released outside of Japan, and it sold poorly, but a passionate fanbase kept interest in the games alive for years. Those fans were rewarded in 2013 as Nintendo finally re-released EarthBound (the second game) on the Wii U Virtual Console. Two years later, they also released the first game as EarthBound Beginnings. Fans are still waiting for Mother 3 to see the light of day outside of Japan, and if rumors are to be believed, they'll get their wish.

Just under a year ago, Liam Robertson (known for uncovering the truth behind cancelled games) and Emily Rogers (a leaker who shares rumors on Twitter) both claimed that Mother 3 was headed to Wii U's Virtual Console sometime in 2016. Soon after, Eurogamer writer Tom Phillips wrote a report claiming he had heard the same from a source connected to Nintendo.

As the year dragged on, it continually became more evident that the long-awaited Mother 3 release wouldn't be coming in 2016. Here at Gamnesia, we speculated that it had been pushed back to 2017 to coincide with the launch of Nintendo Switch, and now another rumor suggests exactly that.

Journalist and Switch leaker Laura Kate Dale is now claiming via Twitter that Mother 3 will launch on Nintendo Switch's Virtual Console some time in the second quarter of 2017. It's unclear at this time if that means Q2 of the calendar year (April 1st - June 30th) or Q2 of Nintendo's fiscal year (July 1st - September 30th), but we've reached out to Dale for clarification. According to her sources, the game will feature an official new translation, and it will be unveiled at the Nintendo Switch presentation on January 12th.

As usual, we advise you to take all rumors with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of skepticism. That said, Dale has accurately leaked other Switch details in the past, including when the Switch reveal would take place, the content of the reveal, Switch's use of cartridges, the look of the portable device, and more. Hopefully we'll have our answer on January 12th!
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Switch leaker w/ 100% accuracy thus far says Mother 3 to be revealed on Jan. 12th

Post by chaoadventures »

Earthbound proved itself to be way too creepy for me near the end, for me to really get excited for this, unfortunately.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Re: Switch leaker w/ 100% accuracy thus far says Mother 3 to be revealed on Jan. 12th

Post by CitrusCat »

If this is true, then that's pretty exciting! Even though I haven't played the Mother series for myself, I know a lot of people love it, and I'll be happy for them.

I already think it's great that they released Earthbound Beginnings, and simply re-releasing Earthbound was also nice. It gives more people a chance to play the game, and releasing Mother 3 (I wonder if they'll call it Earthbound 2 now?) only seems natural to complete the trio of games. Better late than never.

Also, if this is true, I can't help but wonder how the official translation of Mother 3 will compare to the fan translation...
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by Pufflehugs »

While Mother being released on VC was really neat, I do feel like it kinda took away from what made Mother so interesting: It's exclusivity to Japan. Mother itself is not a very good game. The gameplay is abysmal, there's an insane difficulty curve, you can literally break the game to the point of either having just Ninten and Loid or keeping Teddy and EVE, the localization removed some really neat stuff, and the story is easily the worst in the series. Mother's exclusivity to Japan, however, at least gave it something interesting. Sure, there may be a few things that Mother did better than it's successors (such as Magicant), but there's absolutely no doubt that it's the worst game in the series, and possibly even one of Nintendo's worst RPGs.
Mother 3, on the other hand, is an amazing game. There's no denying that there's a divide between people who prefer Mother 2 and people who prefer Mother 3, but I myself am on the Mother 3 side. I personally found Mother 3 to be a great game, with it's amazing story and superior mechanics. While Mother 2 certainly did having it's good moments and certainly beats Mother 3 in some areas, Mother 2 got kinda bland a good way into the game, while Mother 3 never really got bland. Unlike Mother, Mother 3 has much more going for it. Because of this, I'm kinda slanted on how I feel about a Mother 3 VC release. On one hand, releasing Mother 3 outside of Japan won't take much away from the game. On the other hand, it will probably bring in a lot of overly Americanized fans that don't understand much of the culture behind the game. Releasing Mother 3 on VC is certainly a smart move for Nintendo, since it will make a lot more money than it costs to do such a thing.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

1-Up Studios (formerly Brownie Brown), the developers of Mother 3, have announced through this photo on Facebook that they are attending the Nintendo Switch reveal event. The plot thickens.
Last edited by Sable on Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

I can dig it. A bit late, but hopefully the series won't end up like, Metroid, or Starfox.
Last edited by Rajikaru on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I think it is too late to be concerned that it will end up like Metroid or Star Fox. In fact, Mother has fallen to the wayside quite a bit before Metroid or Star Fox. Metroid and Star Fox ended up like Mother, not the reverse.

That being said, the hope can be that Mother will end up like Kid Icarus (as in a new game revival of sorts.) Except without the complete genre overhaul that happened to Kid Icarus.

I am excited hearing about Mother 3. It makes sense. I have played Mother 3 already, but I would get it to play it officially localized and all that. And playing it again would be fun anyway.

And to Citrus, it probably will have a name more related to Earthbound. Maybe not 2, but I would imagine it would have to get some changed title, even if everyone already knows its relation to Earthbound while being called Mother 3.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Mamkute wrote:Metroid and Star Fox ended up like Mother, not the reverse.

Is there some mysterious Mother game that alienated the entirety of Mother's fanbase and sold poorly to the point it was considered a mistake? No? Then no, they didn't end up like Mother.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I misunderstood your meaning, then. Since you had included F-Zero (and I don't think GX angered anyone in particular,) I had assumed you meant that the games just generally stopped appearing. Not about the part where games were released that were bad. I guess I didn't quite associate the demise of series with their unsavory releases, and more just a general demise.
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

this is why i can't really get behind nintendo anymore. i have huge doubts for the switch, and i don't think it's going to go over well. i very reluctantly bought a wii u shortly after launch and it's the biggest disappointment of a console i've bought. i play mh, bayo, and smash and thats really it. i've gotten more mileage outta my vita.

but yea like what's up with nintendo using old games to sell ****. like in the trailer there was skyrim, mario kart, splatoon. i understand the value of nostalgia, but this is a bit much it hasn't even been a year since splatoon came out and now you're gonna want me to buy it again? (this is working on the assumption its not a sequel) then i dont understand the appeal of skyrim. like yeah its portable, but i can play a much less restricted version of that game on my stronger laptop.

anyways, this kinda reminds me of when people got excited for the release of mother 1 over here. and i couldn't get behind it. like yea a port of mother 3 on the switch if it were brought here would be pretty cool! but it's an 11 year old game that's very accessible already to anyone with even marginal interest. maybe if it was like mother 4 or something i could get excited, but eh.