Help me out with something, yo.

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Help me out with something, yo.

Post by retrolinkx »

Might as well ask for some discussion and stuff.

For the past year or so I've made a Video Game Pub Quiz for the Video Game Soc at my uni. I'm good friends with the President, and he knows I know a lot about video games to give me this role for the past year.

I've made two quizzes in the past, and I wouldn't like to repeat questions to keep it a bit fresh, I also like to add interesting rounds and fun things on top of that (Such as a Bad Voice Acting Round or Funny Remixes Round), anyhow since I feel like I'd just be making the quiz a bit stale by using my own knowledge of games in different ways and my own rounds I make up, I decided to ask for help from you guys.

Post some questions/round idea/vidya trivia etc. Anything you'd like to see in this quiz if you wanna give me a hand with it. I sadly can't give you any reward for the help except my thanks.

Some previous rounds I've had:
Spoiler:
Music Round, Guess that character round, Guess the game round, Multiple Choice Round, Famous Quotes, Game Covers, Sound Effect Round, Music Remix Round, Bad Voice Acting Round, Guess the higher ranked game round.
Thanks in advance.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: Help me out with something, yo.

Post by Ivogoji »

The color test menu in Knuckles Chaotix has a secret password that makes a dancing Amy appear on the sound test screen. This was homaged in Sonic Advance where Amy dances to the music when the player uses the sound test, and again in Sonic Advance 2 where Cream appears instead.

Shadow the Hedgehog was originally planned to be a tennric named Tarios, Silver the Hedgehog was originally planned to be a mink named Venice, and Sonic the Hedgehog was originally a rabbit named.... Rabbit.

There is no Gold Beetle in Weapons Bed.

The first reference to the SEGA incarnation of Sonic liking chilidogs was in the Sonic Advance 3 strategy guide.

Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polarbear have cameos in the Shenmue games. Bean has also appeared Virtua Strikers 2, Fighters Megamix, and is based on Ben and Pen from Dynamite Dux.

Samus was depicted with red, purple, and green hair before settling on blonde. Much like Link.

The Golden Beast sidequest in The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons is hard as balls.

There's this one room in Ganon's Tower in A Link to the Past that can only be reached by getting knocked across a gap by one of your bombs.
Last edited by Ivogoji on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

"Video Game Characters Who Changed Hair Color" would be an interesting round.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Those previous round ideas are all pretty great. I really like the sound effect one, because sound effects range from iconic, to very specific.

Round (or just general topic) ideas:

Iconic game weapons

Strange game weapons (What games allow for use of a frying pan as a weapon? etc.)

Famous glitches in games (Missing no., etc.)

Speedrun/competitive game jargon/terminology (in what game is the "reverse bottle adventure" technique used for speedruns?)

Characters with amnesia or games with plot points centered around amnesia (not sure how to put this into a quiz format, just that amnesia is a hilariously common occurrence.)

Famous poor translations (I am Error, This guy are sick, etc.)

I am sure I can come up with some more, but that is what came to me quickly.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Ivogoji wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:54 am The color test menu in Knuckles Chaotix has a secret password that makes a dancing Amy appear on the sound test screen. This was homaged in Sonic Advance where Amy dances to the music when the player uses the sound test, and again in Sonic Advance 2 where Cream appears instead.

Shadow the Hedgehog was originally planned to be a tennric named Tarios, Silver the Hedgehog was originally planned to be a mink named Venice, and Sonic the Hedgehog was originally a rabbit named.... Rabbit.

There is no Gold Beetle in Weapons Bed.

The first reference to the SEGA incarnation of Sonic liking chilidogs was in the Sonic Advance 3 strategy guide.

Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polarbear have cameos in the Shenmue games. Bean has also appeared Virtua Strikers 2, Fighters Megamix, and is based on Ben and Pen from Dynamite Dux.

Samus was depicted with red, purple, and green hair before settling on blonde. Much like Link.

The Golden Beast sidequest in The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons is hard as balls.

There's this one room in Ganon's Tower in A Link to the Past that can only be reached by getting knocked across a gap by one of your bombs.
These are sadly too specific for people. I want a challenge, but at the same time I don't want specific things that happened in specific games. More general would be nice, Although, some of these are perfect for mulitple choice round questions. I'll be using the 1st one, and the 6th one. So Thank You for that.
Ivogoji wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:16 am "Video Game Characters Who Changed Hair Color" would be an interesting round.
Could you give some examples? I honestly can't think of any besides Link, Mario and Samus. Even then, I'm not sure how I'd make questions for this.
Mamkute wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:16 am Those previous round ideas are all pretty great. I really like the sound effect one, because sound effects range from iconic, to very specific.

Round (or just general topic) ideas:

Iconic game weapons

Strange game weapons (What games allow for use of a frying pan as a weapon? etc.)

Famous glitches in games (Missing no., etc.)

Speedrun/competitive game jargon/terminology (in what game is the "reverse bottle adventure" technique used for speedruns?)

Characters with amnesia or games with plot points centered around amnesia (not sure how to put this into a quiz format, just that amnesia is a hilariously common occurrence.)

Famous poor translations (I am Error, This guy are sick, etc.)

I am sure I can come up with some more, but that is what came to me quickly.
Thanks man, I came up with them myself.

Iconic game weapons is good, I'll be using that one so thanks, if you have any suggestions for the questions I could use. That'd be great (Right now all I've got on my mind is the crowbar from Half Life), Strange Game weapons is good, but I can't think of a lot for the round. Glitches is another good round, but I can't think of much beyond Missingno off the top of my heard. The speedrun one is a bit too obscure for people I'd say, and that amnesia one is a bit hard to put into quiz format, as you said.

Poor translations is good, any more would be golden.

Thanks for the help, and anything else would be great.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

retrolinkx wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:04 pm Iconic game weapons is good, I'll be using that one so thanks, if you have any suggestions for the questions I could use. That'd be great (Right now all I've got on my mind is the crowbar from Half Life)
Iconic weapons could be more in line with iconic of the person (rather than the game overall)- show the weapon and say who uses it and what game/series (and name of the weapon, if it were picture based.) Some more examples:

Master Sword- Link
Masamune- Sephiroth
Buster Sword- Cloud
Mega Buster- Megaman
Falchion- Marth/Lucina/Chrom (depending on design)
Key Blade- Sora/Mickey/Many others (could specifically show Mickey's Keyblade, etc.)
Portal Gun - Chell
Kratos from God of War's things
Vampire Killer whip - a Belmont

Iconic per series could still include Key Blade, Portal gun, and Master Sword (or perhaps a less obvious Zelda weapon- Hookshot is pretty iconic to the series, sort of.)
I don't know, just spit balling here.

Strange Weapons makes me think Earthbound, most immediately. Bat, frying pan, yo-yo. MGS has its cardboard box (not really a weapon, but a tool.) Shovel Knight has his shovel (among some other silly things.) Not sure, I know games have a lot of weird weapons, but I am having trouble listing.

Glitches - Missingno. SSBM has play as Master Hand, or "Black hole" glitch, and ummm.. This category is much harder to come up with things than I had thought it would be. Most glitches are a lot less memorable than Missingno, that's for sure. (And listing the tons of other Pokemon Gen I glitches would be unfair.)

Poor translations-
All of the beginning of Zero Wing (All your base are belong to us, etc.)
X-Men arcade game "X-Men, welcome to die"
Ghostbusters NES "Conglaturation!"
In Metroid, the Varia Suit (still used) came from being a poor translation of "Barrier"
"A Winner is you," famous line, although apparently from an NES Pro Wrestling game.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

These can all be Multiple Choice or fill in the blank questions depending on the difficulty you want

Which game from PC publishing company Valve had the longest confirmed development time? (Left 4 Dead, Portal, Counter Strike: GO, Team Fortress 2) - Team Fortress 2, with approximately 10 years dev time behind it

Which original PC/DOS first-person shooter had a completely 3D design, unlike its contemporaries? (Quake, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D) - Quake

Which was the first Sonic the Hedgehog racing game? (Sonic R, Sonic Drift, Sonic Riders, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing) - Sonic Drift

Which Sonic the Hedgehog racing game has Sonic race on foot? (Sonic R, Sonic Drift, Sonic Riders, Sonic & Sega All-stars Racing) - Sonic R
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa