Digimon virtual pets

Talk about other games and consoles in here!
Warning! This topic is 2 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Digimon virtual pets

Post by Ivogoji »

Topic for discussing and sharing stuff relating to Digimon virtual pets.

For my birthday this year I ordered a 20th Anniversary Digivice. I turned on the Digivice this morning at around 5:53 am and gave it the tamer name "AROW".

The default egg I started with hatched into a Botamon, which evolved into a Koromon shortly thereafter. He is currently five hours old and weighs 10 g.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Re: Digimon virtual pets

Post by Ivogoji »

Yesterday Koromon slept for most of the day before evolving into Agumon. This unlocked the option to hatch a second egg. After looking up the relevant information on the hatchery I picked the banded egg type and it hatched into Punimon, who soon digivolved into Tsunomon. I played with them for a while before putting them to bed for the night.

When I woke up Tsunomon had digivolved into Gabumon.

They had both gotten sick from build up of droppings during the night so I cleaned them, treated their sickness, fed them, and gave them vitamins this morning. Agumon is now 1A old and weighs 33g, while Gabumon is around eight or nine hours old and weights 32g. Agumon has also competed in two Colosseum battles and scored 2 wins. I'm thinking of what Champion evolutions I want them to eventually have; for Gabumon I'd like him to become Angemon, which means he will have to have one fewer than the number of fights needed to evolve him into Kabuterimon.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I confess, despite being a big Digimon fan during the anime's original run, I never really got into any of the classic virtual pets... and when I played the original Digimon World for PS1, to my knowledge the only video game for the franchise that adapted the franchise's virtual pet roots, I never got that far, likely due to the virtual pet aspects being a rather hardcore amount of resource management I hadn't dealt with prior... that and I got Digimon World 3 about the same time and took to that game much more... and then lost my PS1 memory card and it was just easier to focus on PS2 games than get a new PS1 memory card(I was a hardcore Nintendo fan during the N64 days, so it wasn't until my dad bought me a PS2 that I had a chance to own and play any Digimon games).

Didn't even know there were 20th anniversary virtual pets... kind of want to try one out, though I doubt they're at all blind playable... then again, it's hard for me to imagine a modern version of those cheap, little LCD based games from the late 90s.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

The D20ths are pretty much physically identical to the 90s virtual pet and the features are about the same. The Pendulum, Pendulum Z, and Vital Bracelet versions are a lot fancier and have way more modern Digimon but they're also outlandishly expensive in the west.

The three button controls are simple enough that I think a blind person could probably memorize the necessary inputs to scroll through menu icons and when to use each action, since all of the stuff the Digimon do happens on a consistent schedule. Like they always go to sleep at the same time and have to be fed at the same intervals each day and the stages at which they digivolve are easy to predict, and if something happens like the Digimon getting sick there's an alert that beeps. The tricky part would be managing evolution branches when you can't directly see if a newly evolved Digimon is the one you were setting up care conditions for (and, well, things like setting the clock when you first turn the device on). There are also fangames for the PC that simulate the keychain games really accurately, like DVpet, which can probably be made easy to play using assistive software.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

My Agumon digivolved into Greymon!
This was the first evolution I got to see directly. Since he evolved the way I hoped that should mean I've also met the care conditions for Gabumon to digivolve into Angemon. Meanwhile all I need to do to get Greymon to become Metal Greymon is win enough battles in the Colosseum. I don't know much about how the Colosseum works but I think if I have Gabumon (Data type) clear all of the Data type Digimon then Greymon (Vaccine type) should be able to win all his matches against Virus and Vaccine Digimon. Greymon is currently 4A old and weighs 39g. Gabumon is 3A old and weighs 44g.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

I got Angemon!

Greymon has won enough battles that he should digivolve into Metal Greymon when time passes. I haven't decided if I want Angemon to digivolve into Skull Greymon or stay as he is (he can't turn into anything else in this version of the game). I should have time to meet the battle requirements but we'll see. I tried getting up to 15 consecutive wins with Angemon yesterday but he lost on the penultimate battle, meaning I have to start over again (and my plan to alternate Digimon to take on different types in the Colosseum won't work now that they're both Vaccine types). Earlier today I negelected to flush their droppings for too long and they both got sick, but they're at a stage where care mistakes won't influence their evolution so it's not a big deal. Greymon is 5A and 43g and has a win record of 95% wins for Single battles, and Angemon is 4A and 23g and has a record of 90% wins for Single battles.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Metal Greymon has been achieved.

I haven't been able to get far in the Colosseum so I guess I'll have to make sure my Digimon evolve as much as possible. I'm not sure if I've gotten the battle requirements to get Angemon to Ultimate but I'll keep having him fight. Although if he does turn into Skull Greymon then both of my Digimon will be Virus types which will make defeating Vaccine types harder.

Metal Greymon: 6A, 79g, Wins 95%

Angemon: 5A, 20g, Wins 90%
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

*Googles DVpet* Written in Java... that's a bit of a mixed bag... on the one hand, that means there should be a way to run it under Linux... on the other hand, I'm pretty sure Java's GUI toolkit doesn't play very well with the accessibility stack under Linux. *grumbles about how the frontend/backend separation paradigm is so rare for programs not written specifically for Linux.*
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Well, it worked. Angemon digivolved into Skull Greymon.

At this point I'd like to try to clear all the battles in the Colosseum and defeat Lucemon, but because Metal Greymon and Skull Greymon are the same type it would be very difficult. When they reach their Ultimate forms they'll be separate types again so I might just have to evolve them further. I think I'll probably let their Strength drop to zero hearts twice; it takes two intentional care mistakes to reach Ultimate. I'd kinda prefer to just leave Skull Greymon as he is because I don't particularly like his next evolution, but he's unlikely to be much help in beating the Colosseum without digivolving.
Metal Greymon: 7A, 66g
Skull Greymon: 6A, 52g
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Well it happened, one of my Digimon died. Skull Greymon passed away at the age of 22A.

I knew this was going to happen one way or the other, but I am surprised it happened so suddenly. Enough time has passed that if either Skull Greymon or Metal Greymon were going evolve they would have done so already, meaning I missed my window to meet the care conditions for their Ultimate stages. That means if I want to start over and get Digimon that are strong enough to defeat the Colosseum Metal Greymon will have to die as well. It seems like I won't have to kill him intentionally though and can just continue caring for him as usual until the time comes, which if Skull Greymon was any indicator won't be long.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD