Graphic tablet suggestions?

Share your creativity! Post your artwork, comics, movies, and related media here. Share your creations or comment on/help others with theirs!
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Graphic tablet suggestions?

Post by Mooncow »

Hi guys! For all you awesome digital artists out there can you help me with my understanding of graphic tablets?

Firstly, is it a must? Would you recommend them? (i'm going to be getting one anyway haha)

The last one I had was a Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch
The surface of the tablet mimics the size of the screen, is that normal behaviour?

Any suggestions or experiences are welcome! Hopefully this thread will help others too.
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
TheMaskedKatz
Child Chao
Child Chao

Re: Graphic tablet suggestions?

Post by TheMaskedKatz »

Heya Mooncow!

Edit:
"is it a must?"
If you want to get into digital art and would be willing to pay for a tablet, it definitely is! Not only can it be very useful resource-wise, but it opens a whole new door of opportunities and benefits when it comes to art, from useful tools to being able to easily share your work! I say that it is essential to get (or at least try out) an art tablet.

I use Wacom's Intuos - it's the cheapest tablet they have but they have a bigger version that's a little more expensive. It does not have a display, meaning you'll have to look at the monitor/computer screen instead of the tablet while drawing, but it's my first ever tablet that I've used and I never had trouble with it. That said, I haven't used any other kind of tablet or version, there are more advanced versions that are more expensive (such as ones with actual displays like I had mentioned) that may make your experience feel more professional, but I have done all my art with this one and it gets the job done!

I say - on less you're trying to achieve very professional artwork or are going for nothing but an upgrade - to go with the Intuos.
https://www.wacom.com/en/products/intuos
Eru
Motto: bread

Post by Eru »

Can also vouch for TheMaskedKatz and the Wacom Intuos, before switching to the Huion GT191 Kamvas it was what i used. I used an old model however, the CTH680, but I assume the later versions are the same if not better. I cant speak for the side buttons since i never used them, but the main tablet is very nice to use.
I also had the bamboo pen and touch before it broke (whoops!), yeah the tablet mimicking the screen is very normal behaviour. If the dimensions are slightly different between the tablet and your screen, Ive found that using the tablet still becomes very natural after a short while despite the difference.

I did this piece with the Intuos on my old dA account. Honestly, with a decent understanding of the art program you're using, its a good piece of kit!

Also, if anyone reading this thread is interested in the GT191 Kamvas and has the money and computer power for it, I can SUPER recommend it. Its a fantastic investment if youre planning on upgrading to a screen tablet and getting more serious with your art. A total game changer. The GT191 might be fairly cheap for a screen tablet, but I honestly cannot fathom how much better the 2000 dollar screen tablets are supposed to be because this is already amazing.
mooncow smells
superchaomusou
Chao Artist
Chao Artist
Motto: Has over 100 Original Characters

Post by superchaomusou »

Seems like I agree, as a Wacom Intuos user, it's pretty simple as you will get the hang of using it as time goes on.
Be sure to check out my ArtFight! (Requires profile to view)
https://artfight.net/~ChaoGalaxyWarrior
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

While looking around for cheap tablets to grab, I found out that a lot of the cheaper alternatives seem to match the more expensive offerings in ratings and such nowadays. It used to be that you *needed* a Wacom or name-brand tablet, but Huion and XP-Pen have some extremely decent offerings for a decently cheaper cost.
That said, I've only been using my Huion tablet for the past three weeks or so, and this is my first time using a tablet, so I don't have much to add in the way of experience.