Tiny Chao Garden styled sprites

Share your creativity! Post your artwork, comics, movies, and related media here. Share your creations or comment on/help others with theirs!
Warning! This topic is 3 years and 5 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
SpeedXaaa
Child Chao
Child Chao

Tiny Chao Garden styled sprites

Post by SpeedXaaa »

Hey all! So I've been working on a bunch of Tiny Chao Garden-style sprites as of late. My DeviantART watchers are mostly Pokemon fans I think, so I haven't been able to get a lot of feedback on these.

Basically I've been trying to finish as many different types of Chao as I can. They're meant for anyone who wants to use them, plus it's rewarding af when I finally finish an entire sheet. Next one I'm working on is a Neutral Swim/Normal Chao.

Last edited by SpeedXaaa on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

Re: Tiny Chao Garden styled sprites

Post by ChillyChao »

Oh hey, those are actually pretty darn cool.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

Post by UltimaNumber »

Oh wow! This is really cool that you're doing such a project! I'm going to go ahead and point out some things you might need to be aware of though.

First, I have made a topic regarding a request, hoping it would be the central for this very topic. Might be worth a read as it explains what I would like in such sprite work: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48902

To say it here, you may need to be aware of how exactly the GBA's sprites work if you don't already. The way GBA handles sprites is 8x8 "Tiles" that have one palette each of 16 colors that make up the entire sprite. One color is always a transparent color, so essentially you really have 15 colors. You can have up to 16 Palettes for a block of Tiles. Typically, you only need one palette for all the Tiles needed to make a Sprite, but you can include more should the Sprite require more details. In true Tiny Chao Garden nature, you're going to be restricted to one palette, unless you can specifically use another palette shared with anything else. Also, it's worth pointing out that the RGB system for GBA can have color values of 0 to 31. Compare this to 0 to 255, and basically any value is a multiple of 8, with a max of 248. I recommend a tool called "usenti" should you want to follow all of these Tiny Chao Garden and GBA limitations

Lastly, I have posted a complete spritesheet of the Tiny Chao Garden if you would like to make sure everything is correct. There's not a single sprite that is missing or fake. You can find that here: https://www.deviantart.com/ultimanumber ... -792348615
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs
SpeedXaaa
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by SpeedXaaa »

Hey! Thank you guys for the feedback. Especially to Ultima, as I can tell you took a lot of time to type all this! However, I'm actually not doing this with the gba limitations in mind. It's more in just the art style. While they won't be able to be used for things such as hacks as they are, they could definitely be used in other ways. c: But hey, if you ever want to or want to enlist help from others to edit these to fit the GBA limitations in the future, that's 100% cool by me. :D

I actually compiled a sheet too from what I've found from the Sonic Advance 1 and 2 rips from a few years back ago. Wasn't exactly a simple feat for me as I had to do a lot of searching, hahah. Love that sheet you compiled though! I'm guessing you ripped that? It looks like I've got everything on there from that sheet from what I could tell, so looks like everything checks out alright. c:

I've made a few small changes to the sheets in the OP. Mainly small changes like out of place pixels here and there. I'll try to update that here once I'm off mobile tomorrow. For now, here's a Neutral Swim / Normal! That completes the neutral swim Chao for now. I'll save the odd hybrid types (Swim / Swim + Power, etc) for later on down the road.

Not sure how long I'll keep this project up since my interest waxes and wanes like the moon...but I'll keep interest in it up for as long as I can! I'm really glad some other people share interest in this kind of project. <3 And thanks again for your constructive response, Ultima! I can always find something helpful in constructive feedback of any kind. <3 If you guys ever see anything that looks off, don't hesitate to let me know :D

On that note, I'm making sure to make the actual Chao first so the sheets take much less work on my end. Here's what I have so far.

UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Post by UltimaNumber »

I totally forgot one more important thing, and I don't know if I've stated this on my other post. It may be of interest of the way Chao are sprited. I know there's only one type of Chao in the Tiny Chao Garden, but think about the other two minigames, Chao Adventure 1 and Chao Adventure 2. It has a certain style to them the way they sprite out Chao, and I would imagine the Tiny Chao Garden to be no different. What I'm implying here is... You see how the Chao's head isn't centered when facing forward or behind? You notice how that's the same with the other two games? I'm saying that it may be of an interesting style if every Chao was that way. Granted, I'm speaking from an authentic Tiny Chao Garden standpoint, and that's not exactly what you're going for like you said. Just thought I'd point that out. Perhaps we can make one someday.

I am also making customs for the two Chao Adventure games, following their style and limitations. It's a sub project for an eventual remake of Chao Adventure 1 and 2 I hope to get into someday.

My YouTube stuffs
SpeedXaaa
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by SpeedXaaa »

Ohh, I do see your point there. That's a very good observation! Some of them that might look a little strange (as in very off balance--for Chao with bigger head protrusions like Dark Swim Chao or Neutral or Dark Run Chao), but I think it would look really cool for others. Actually I think I'll experiment some with that. :o

Ohhh the Chao adventure sprites are so cute so that would be really cool to see!! Hey if you ever finish those I would love to see you post a thread for them. I'd totally check it out!
SpeedXaaa
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by SpeedXaaa »

Oh look, a one-year bump that probably no one will see xD It's okay, cause like no one seems to be interested in Chao online except you guys so might as well update the thread! I've really only finished two complete sheets since last year since I just started working on it again a month or so ago but I might as well show what I have so far! First of all, here are the base sprites for every Neutral Chao (except the dual-type second evolutions since they're pretty niche):

And here's some Hero Chao I started on last year:

Last but not least, here's the sheets I just recently finished!

(I'll admit that I forgot to properly realign the run Chao sprites but good enough lmao )

ALSO to UltimaChao: you're totally right about the asymmetricality of the Tiny Chao Garden sprites and I, for the most part, have done my best to stick by that with the Normal and Power-typed chao. Some Chao though, are very symmetrical in nature--such as the flying or running type chao--and spriting them in such an asymmetrical way, I feel, would actually take away from the sprites more than they add to them. I was gonna say that before but I didn't think to asdf
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Post by UltimaNumber »

You know what, I totally agree with you! I can see it looking a lot better with like, the farther away it looks from the original - the more unique it looks - the more it should follow its own rules, or something like that. At least from the Normal Types.

So far you've been doing a really solid job of making all the Chao Types so far, a really good job at giving them their distinct looks we all recognize out of them! It's not perfect by any means, and that goes for the colors too at first glance. But I'll be happy to like give these a much closer inspection and review wherever you'd like! I don't have much free time and yet haven't been accomplishing a lot lately, but I might as well add this to something to keep a good eye out for!

My YouTube stuffs
SpeedXaaa
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by SpeedXaaa »

UltimaNumber wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:22 am You know what, I totally agree with you! I can see it looking a lot better with like, the farther away it looks from the original - the more unique it looks - the more it should follow its own rules, or something like that. At least from the Normal Types.

So far you've been doing a really solid job of making all the Chao Types so far, a really good job at giving them their distinct looks we all recognize out of them! It's not perfect by any means, and that goes for the colors too at first glance. But I'll be happy to like give these a much closer inspection and review wherever you'd like! I don't have much free time and yet haven't been accomplishing a lot lately, but I might as well add this to something to keep a good eye out for!
Holy crap people actually still post here xD
Hey thanks dude, I really appreciate it! Hahah I understand that and I appreciate your honesty as usual. c: Like I said before these are meant less for hacks and more for original games since there really isn't much you can do with the original tiny chao garden games anyway hahah. But the color reduction should be a very easy process, so if I ever do finish this project I'll be sure to make color reduced versions too! Hey I'm definitely all ears if you ever want to give these a closer look and want to point out any small inconsistencies, big ones, or what have you. I know at the VERY least I've been catching a lot of little mistakes here and there lmao. But yeah no pressure, but constructive feedback is always super appreciated. :chaohappy:

Sorry to hear that, I hope things are overall going well for you though! Hang in there, this covid mess has been really hard to get through T v T

Edit: Managed to finish the Neutral Fly-Fly!