confused

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Devil Master1
Egg
Egg

confused

Post by Devil Master1 »

Can some one tell me if you are trying to make like a run/swim chao wat does it meen :darkwalkback:
moonsoul
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: How to cure an obsession: Get a new one

Post by moonsoul »

It means that for the first evolution you're making it a running type by giving it speed type animals or green chaos drives. Then for it's second evolution you're giving it swim type animals or yellow chaos drives.
nights
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao

Post by nights »

Don't forget that your chao has to have it's first natural mating season (no fertility fruit) before you can make it change it's appearance a second time.

Good Luck! :chaohappy:
Last edited by nights on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not weird!... I'm gIfTeD!

Name: Todd. Todd the fox.
dvddd3d
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by dvddd3d »

and the second evolution isnt an evolution, but a gradual change in the chao's shape and color. :darkblink: :wink:
MetalAlpha156
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Commit oxygen not reach lungs

Re: confused

Post by MetalAlpha156 »

If you want to make a Running/Swimming Chao, you would first have to give a Chao enough green chaos drives, or any animals that will boost its speed stats up, so it can turn into a Running Chao for its first evolution. Then, for its second evolution, give it enough yellow chaos drives, or any animals that will boost its swim stats up, so it can turn into a Running/Swimming Chao for its second evolution.

You can tell you have a Running/Swimming Chao if its feet become long and pointy and turn an aqua colour. Its spikes become more jointed. :omochao:
MetalAlpha156 :omochao:
Swate
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Striving to fully understand Chao

Re:

Post by Swate »

nights wrote: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:04 pm Don't forget that your chao has to have it's first natural mating season (no fertility fruit) before you can make it change it's appearance a second time.
I hadn't heard of this, is that true? I know that the physical characteristics of the second evolution express themselves more obviously the older the Chao gets but does the natural mating season act as some kind of checkpoint?
heck yeah chao :cool:
Runasutaru
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Be the punching bag!

Post by Runasutaru »

Hoo boy. This is some serious necroposting! I'll raise one last skeleton in order to clarify doubts and misinformation.

I will reinforce what was previously stated: "Run/Swim" most likely refers to a Child Chao which first evolves into a Run-type (Neutral/Run, Dark/Run, or Hero/Run) and then gets Swim-type influence in its adult gradual evolution, ending up with a designation such as Neutral/Run/Swim.

nights wrote: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:04 pm Don't forget that your chao has to have it's first natural mating season (no fertility fruit) before you can make it change it's appearance a second time.
This is false. Gradual evolution is immediately available: as soon as a Chao hits adulthood, each animal or drive given to it instantly affects its Swim<>Fly and Run<>Power metres. The value on each of these metres determines how its appearance shifts. However, for this altered appearance to start showing — a gradual process — the Chao's Magnitude value needs to be high enough.

Magnitude increases in two ways:
— gradually throughout a Chao's adult life;
— feeding your Chao.

A Chao's Magnitude, or EvolutionStrength, starts at 0 when freshly-evolved and caps out at 1.2. The closer it is to that cap, the more differentiated the Chao's model will be. This even applies to Chao that were given no animals or drives, as a Chao's late-life model is quite different from its freshly-evolved base model.

For adult Chao, the constant factor and fruit factor go as follows:
Fusion wrote:Each bite of any fruit adds 0.00125 to EvolutionStrength.
Every few minutes, EvolutionStrength increases by 0.00416667.
Source: Chao age and lifespan.

Swate wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:33 pm[...] does the natural mating season act as some kind of checkpoint?
No, it does not. It just so happens that the first mating season is an informal marker of when differences tend to start showing. I say "tend" because of the aforementioned "feeding your Chao fruit". If it eats a lot of fruit, you can make it significantly show earlier.
Swate
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Striving to fully understand Chao

Post by Swate »

Runasutaru wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:51 pm No, it does not. It just so happens that the first mating season is an informal marker of when differences tend to start showing. I say "tend" because of the aforementioned "feeding your Chao fruit". If it eats a lot of fruit, you can make it significantly show earlier.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I also wasn't aware of the specific numbers of how eating fruit affects magnitude.

Sorry about the necroposting, still a bit new around here so I wasn't sure what the customs were considering posts to this section are pretty scarce. :walkto:
heck yeah chao :cool:
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

e

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I wasn't aware the archives even went back that far, but I'd argue a good rule of thumb, not only on this forum, but the internet in general is not to bump anything older than a month or that has dropped off the bottom of the first page, which ever gives the older cut-off. Of course, the local forum rules on bumping supercede this recommendation, and there are exceptions(e.g. if posting a serial story or other serial creative work, most won't begrudge you bumping your own thread to keep installments together).

But yeah, there are plenty of things that will happen to a Chao overtime given no inputs, and it's a fairly common mistake to think these things are tied together.

Not only can feeding your Chao cause your Chao to show significant signs of second evolution earlier than the first natural mating cycle, but feeding your Chao heart fruits can cause their first natural mating to be delayed, or even cause them to die/reincarnate without a natural mating. This is because Chao have a "desire to mate" stat that starts at zero upon first evolution or after mating and it slowly builds over time. When it hits its cap of 10,000, the flowers appear, and sitting a second Chao with a lower, but still high enough desire will trigger the mating dance and then reset both parents to zero. A heart fruit core immediately raises this stat to its max, but it still falls to zero after mating. So, give a heart fruit to a Chao whose desire is at 5000, and you then delay its first natural mating to 1.5 times the usual time post-evolution. Do this repeatedly, and the Chao will never have a chance to reach 10,000 on its own.
a chao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: "Ima outta here!"

Post by a chao »

Make sure to use fruit so your chao gets it second evo quicker!
chao are cool as heck :cool: