Dreamcast Era Jewel Chao

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
qwerty79
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Dreamcast Era Jewel Chao

Post by qwerty79 »

According to the known chao page, it is possible to obtain Amethyst, Onyx, and Topaz chao. Does anyone know specifically how to breed for these?
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Dreamcast Era Jewel Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

You can't "breed" for jewel Chao.

But, as far as obtaining them that's mostly impossible from what I know, because you got them by going online here http://dricas.sonicretro.org/sonic2/en/ ... arket.html
with the Dreamcast's browser but, their download files are broken.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
FedoraBrella Chao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Fedoras and umbrellas...together at last!

Post by FedoraBrella Chao »

What about SA1, which had free Gold and Silver chao, but no black market?
Fedoras and umbrellas will always stand beside me!
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Sonic Adventure didn't have all of the same kinds of chao as Sonic Adventure 2, most certainly, I don't think it had amethyst chao.
Sonic Adventure had Silver and Gold chao, and the Black chao, and breeding those together could get you certain results, like Gold+Black can get you a Bronze (I guess is the term for it) chao. I think, but could very easily be wrong, that Silver+Black could get you Onyx, but I would want confirmation about that from better sources.
Notice that that sort of genetic system is very different from the kind used in the Game Cube games.

So yes, at least in Sonic Adventure 1, you can breed for certain Jewel chao.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

I actually have started very little experimentation on this subject, but have run into the major speed bump of not being able to obtain these Chao to test with. Mamkute's referring to the Bronze Chao was in reference to my breeding experiments, though I've been tempted to say Copper Chao instead to avoid repeating first initials in the very limited breeding pool of the original Sonic Adventure.

While digging up old save files, I did manage to find some Ruby Chao and Peridot Chao on someone's Sonic Adventure 2 Chao Garden save file. There was also a Silver Chao, leading me to speculate that you can breed a Ruby Chao with a Silver Chao and receive a Peridot Chao, which makes sense since there is no Peridot Chao in the original Black Market. I assume that Garnet, Aquamarine, Topaz, and Onyx all have similar accessibility in the game, but I have no way of testing this.

Another fun tidbit from my incomplete research was that something about the Black Chao in SA1 is different from the one in SA2. Whenever I transferred a Copper Chao or Onyx Chao from SA1 to SA2 via VMU, they resembled their mineral parents, instead looking like a Gold Chao and an Silver Chao, respectively. My Black Chao didn't even hatch as a Black Chao when transferred. It was very strange. (Note that all Chao appear like Normal Chao after initial hatching when transferred from SA1 to SA2 via VMU, but will take on their proper appearance after reincarnating.

I've been tempted to test using the Chao Editor 2 application whether or not I can obtain the other Jewel Chao, but I haven't had the easiest time allocating effective experimentation time. I'll compose a proper post in due time, but for now this is all I know.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

So my reply was not the most correct. I am glad Crazo could help with this.

Also, Ruby+Silver getting a Peridot chao is pretty unintuitive, given their colors, which, if correct, makes getting the other colors a bit of a treasure hunt.
FedoraBrella Chao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

What does the Ruby Chao look like in the Dreamcast version? The one on the Black Market website looks like what would later become the Garnet Chao, and the Ruby Chao became pink. If the Ruby Chao on the website matches the one ingame, we can likely rule out the Garnet Chao.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

Mamkute wrote:Also, Ruby+Silver getting a Peridot chao is pretty unintuitive, given their colors, which, if correct, makes getting the other colors a bit of a treasure hunt.
The site used to have information about weird breeding combinations, that was removed due to user speculation. I'm more willing to believe the weird nature of it now.
FedoraBrella Chao wrote:What does the Ruby Chao look like in the Dreamcast version? The one on the Black Market website looks like what would later become the Garnet Chao, and the Ruby Chao became pink. If the Ruby Chao on the website matches the one ingame, we can likely rule out the Garnet Chao.
While it may go by a different name, since you are right about the color swap, the Pink Jewel Chao likely still exists. Given that we have no idea how these breeding mechanics work, we have no way to tell whether or not it will appear. I will be conducting a test soon to try to find out, but it will take some time.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
FedoraBrella Chao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

The moon chao may be necessary for getting certain jewel chao in the Dreamcast version, which makes sense to me since the site describes it as rare. Additionally, the Gold chao on the website looks nothing like any chao from SA2B onward to my knowledge.

EDIT: Interestingly, in SA:DX, while it's in the adventure field, the Gold Chao egg is the same color it was in the Dreamcast version, but it becomes the current gold egg once taken into the Chao Garden.