Chao Randomly Walking Into Tree?

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Arctic
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: trans rights

Chao Randomly Walking Into Tree?

Post by Arctic »

First off, hello, I'm Arctic and I'm new here but I've already been to the intro board so that's beside the point.

So, I've been playing SA2B on a Wii lately and have been leaving it running for extended periods of time for the Chao to reincarnate, and I will check on them every hour or so. But here's the thing: often when I check on them, one of them will be walking into a tree non-stop with a ! above it's head!
Now, I know what most of you will probably be thinking, "It's watering or about to water the tree"
Or, "It's going to grab a fruit"
But they're not.
They never water the tree, they will keep walking into it until I force them not to.
They're not after food because if they were, they would have the happy/closed eyes, and they don't. (Well unless the chao had them to begin with, of course)
And the weirdest thing about it is: It's always the same tree!
It's the one in the Neutral garden that is the second one over from the entrance.
I've wracked my brain trying to figure this out, but I've exhausted all my ideas.
Anyone else have any idea why my Chao turned into tree-walking-into zombies? :thinking:
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Re: Chao Randomly Walking Into Tree?

Post by ShadriaFan »

If I remember, Chao are on a 'timer' of sorts. After a while, they go to do something, based on that timer.
I don't know what they're trying to do with the tree (maybe they want to water it but lack the watering toy?), but if they lack something- they'll probably end up doing that endless loop until they have the item needed. (This is also why chao that can't swim go into the water. It's on a timer, and they'll keep trapping themselves until you give them a high enough swim level to let them do so.)
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Arctic
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Arctic »

Hm, yes I've heard of the timer before as well...
But don't the Chao just go up to the tree and say "Aaah!" if they want to water it but don't have the watering can? I could be wrong, though. Plus this still doesn't explain why it's always the same tree...
Maybe they are trying to get to the Jack in the Box becuase of the timer you mentioned? It is pretty close to being straight across from that tree. Haha, I'm so confused xD Thanks for helping to solve the mystery!
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

Chao are run by plenty of timers, but they still need objects to seek out.

If you have other toys, like the jack-in-the-box, the tv, or the ball, and you think that it is directly on the other side of where your Chao is walking, then that is definitely the case. They want something, but they can't get through.

Have you ever been able to shake fruit off the tree that they're stuck to? That was my immediate thought to try, just in case they were chasing an unavailable fruit. I don't remember it happening, but if they're hungry enough, it could be possible.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
LimitCrown
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Post by LimitCrown »

Something like this happened once when I played SA2B for the PC, but it occurred in the Hero Garden. Two of my Chao repeatedly walked into trees. They also repeatedly made the sound that Chao tend to make before they use the watering can. My guess is that they were trying to use the watering can, but because they didn't have it, they were stuck in a loop.
Last edited by LimitCrown on Sat May 14, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arctic
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Arctic »

Crazo3077 wrote:Chao are run by plenty of timers, but they still need objects to seek out.

If you have other toys, like the jack-in-the-box, the tv, or the ball, and you think that it is directly on the other side of where your Chao is walking, then that is definitely the case. They want something, but they can't get through.

Have you ever been able to shake fruit off the tree that they're stuck to? That was my immediate thought to try, just in case they were chasing an unavailable fruit. I don't remember it happening, but if they're hungry enough, it could be possible.
Yeah, I'm starting to think that's the explanation. I think they are after the TV, I just turned the game on to see what was near that tree, and the TV is right next to it. I think that must be what's going on. I had considered that before, but was unsure because I couldn't remember if their face changed while they were walking to turn on the TV. But now this seems to be the only explanation left. Don't the Chao do something like pick a certain point or object and then continue trying to reach it until they do, and then pick something else to go after? Because that may be why they never stop.

And to LimitCrown, yeah, they do that sometimes, but I think that is a normal action. They will just make that sound when they don't have the watering can. Mine walk to the tree, say "Aah" and walk away after that. Though the fact they did it in a loop is strange. I had one Chao in the Hero Garden that got stuck running in a fixed circle with no objects around. I think the Hero Garden is just glitchy.
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Post by Roaxes »

Something similar like this always happens to me in the normal garden, if a planted tree is on a hill I think they're trying to water it but because the chao is walking down the hill I don't think they can quite get to the flat spot they need to water the tree like they want too. I never had it happen to a normal garden tree though.
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog
Arctic
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Arctic »

Ok so I just got done playing SA2B a bit to see if one of my Chao would do this so I could test the theories.
And then my Chao Spices begins aimlessly walking into that same tree. And so I observed what direction she was walking to see if she was headed for the TV. But she wasn't. She was turned in a different direction, that, if the tree were gone, she would be headed to the right of TV. So the TV is out.
Then I checked the tree to see if there were any fruits that hadn't fallen yet she might be mistakenly trying to get to, but nope, the tree was empty. So it's not food.
I then made her stop walking into the tree and she immediatey went to another tree and said "Aah" to it.
This leads me to believe that it's a combination of the timer/object pursuing and the tree on a hill situation that Roaxes mentioned, the Chao is pursuing the same object and not quitting until it gets it, and that is because this particular tree is not on flat ground, so it never gets where it needs to be.

I'm quite certain this is what's happening now that I was able to hear and test all you guys' theories! Thanks!
:darkhappy: