Help wanted for VMU Chao Breeding testing

Post here if you want help with Chao raising/breeding, or if you are a kind person that likes to help other people!
Warning! This topic is 2 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

Help wanted for VMU Chao Breeding testing

Post by UltimaNumber »

Hello everyone! I know I haven't been the most active in developing Chao Guides, but I will be needing help with Chao Adventure and Chao Adventure 2!

Now, I already am as much prepared with the games as much as I possibly can be, and am probably the most knowledgeable out of the Chao Island members here, but even with all these tools and files, I still will not be able to figure everything out.
You see, as far as VMU Emulation goes, no VMU emulator is capable of doing VMU-to-VMU linkup. Even the best VMU Emulator, ElysianVMU, is not able to do what I need. As far as disassembly goes, there's only one disassembler; LCdis. It doesn't *quite* break down to what I need, or at least, I am unable to read what I need.

Because I am able to get just about everything down thanks to the tools I have access to, I am fine for the most part. However, the point I'm getting across is that not only do I not have access to being able to link two VMUs together, I also can't find anything to help me examine to code used for such events.

So, here's how you can help: I need help from those who owns at least 2 VMUs, and Sonic Adventure 1 and/or 2, so that you have access to Chao Adventure 1 and/or 2, and can do VMU breeding and a few other events. You should also have access to Tyro's VMU Chao Editors for either game.

Now, to provide as much accurate tests as you possibly can, I will need testing with breeding with all the various breeds of Chao with each other, so we can know what they can produce. I would also like every Chao to have different stats, since they can also be passed down. The more tests per Chao, the better. Try having different evolutions of Chao, too. Have no Chao be the same for best results. This would also include breeding the Chao you get from VMU Breeding. You can use Tyro's VMU Chao Editors to accomplish what needs to be done.

The best way to share your results with me is through Dream Explorer, or to upload your Chao Data online to share with me here. If neither are options, then you can still try to describe and show me the Chao to the best to your ability. If you are using Dream Explorer, then what you need to do is after breeding, go to Dream Explorer's Hex Editor, locate Chao Adventure, and go to Block 25. It's a single Block, or 512 Bytes below where your Chao is located. You can find it easily by searching for your Chao's Name. If you're uploading Chao Data online, I'm afraid I can't help you there, because I don't know how it's done. You'll have to find a way you can send your Chao Adventure, or however you want to give me your Chao from your physical VMU.

The goal of all of this is for the sake of figuring out the entire breeding mechanics in the VMU compared to the Chao Gardens. For Chao Adventure 1, I want to know to extant behind mixed Chao Breeds, and how stats are distributed, among other passed down traits. I would even appreciate mating Gold with Silver, or mixing a mixed breed with the one other color (like Black Silver with Gold). For Chao Adventure 2, I haven't looked too much into the breeding in general in Sonic Adventure 2 Dreamcast, just go for as distinct and as many breed tests as you can!

Please let me know if you can be able to help out with this subject! For me, and for all of Chao Island and the community, the still unknown must be unveiled! And do me a favor, please do not suggest me anything else having no personal or peer experience using.
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs
muteKi
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Re: Help wanted for VMU Chao Breeding testing

Post by muteKi »

I realize this post is getting old but I have a few VMUs that I've been playing Chao Adventure on lately. Is this still something that would be of interest? Is your focus mostly on stat distributions of children?
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Post by UltimaNumber »

The subject of VMU breeding has been of interest for a very long time, and has still yet to see any help, or a way to emulate it.

I would be very thankful for as much variety breeding tests as possible, in regards to stats, breeds, Animal Parts...Just about every feature you can get on a Chao.

Remember that the best way to send me info is one of three things: Tyro's VMU Chao Editor, Dream Explorer's hex editor, or sending me the breeded Chao for download.

My YouTube stuffs
muteKi
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by muteKi »

OK. For my first set of uploads I'll get some breeding done with the onyx chao Chalmer and the copper chao Chocola. I'm a little curious about how consistent their stats and their animal parts will be across multiple breeding sessions. I'll include the vmu files of the two chao I'm mating and files of the gardens with some of their eggs. The first file will include the first pair of eggs from breeding, along with some other chao that might be of interest to you that I've been raising. The other files will just be eggs -- or very recently hatched offspring.

Is there anywhere you'd prefer to have these? I can set them up on dropbox or google drive or similar
muteKi
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by muteKi »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zLnSZZ ... sp=sharing

Choc and Chalm are the chao adventure files for the chao I was using to breed, the copper and onyx chao respectively.

The other files are all chao garden saves. The only garden of interest is probably going to be the station square garden, because it's where the chao that I've been actively raising (including those two) are.

Basegdn is the chao garden data that is my current active save file. Again, the gold, silver, and black chao here are the ones that I mated to produce the two chao in the VMU games. The black chao is still on its first life but the other two have already reincarnated, and I've given them some animals. The two eggs in the garden were the first two eggs I produced from mating that pair.

The other three files are only eggs. The first garden has all 8 slots taken up by eggs produced by the two from VMU mating. The other gardens should be effectively empty, only hold the two starting eggs.
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Post by UltimaNumber »

Thank you. I'll take a look at these Chao the following day and I'll post updates if I need anything else

My YouTube stuffs
muteKi
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by muteKi »

As suggested on Discord, I attempted to run the chao in the Japanese language version of Chao Adventure (by changing the text language option in the menu). However, I turned it back after loading the chao up. On the first egg extraction, the program turned back to English. I decided to change the text back to Japanese after filling up the Station Square garden, and added another 8 eggs to the Mystic Ruins. (Both garden saves thus have 16 eggs from the VMUs, 32 total between them.)

Stats were intentionally manipulated in the SA1 VMU chao editor. One of the reasons that this took a little longer to put out than the first one was that the program does not play nicely with Japanese text, and ate the chao I put in after changing the language. Thankfully I have been keeping VMU backups through the process, so I have not lost any data. One of them (Charon) has high swim but low stats overall. The other (Charcoal) has higher average stats but intentionally very low run.

I also found that at some point I jostled one of the VMUs hard enough that it reset its clock. I don't know if the protocol for mating relates to differences in time (i.e., if one unit becomes identified as a leader based on time), but if it does we will probably notice that eggs in the second save will have different stats from the first one.

An oddity that I discovered during the process was that the language shift screwed up the HP display somehow. All the other stats were fine but HP showed up as 0/0. Fortunately it did not affect the survivability of the chao, and both returned to my main save file after the process none the worse for wear, the older of them (Charon) reincarnating not long after I brought it back.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/147SeD4 ... sp=sharing
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert

Post by UltimaNumber »

I'll be sure to look at all of these, and also the language issue after this

My YouTube stuffs
muteKi
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by muteKi »

Some results of custom breeding including some simple evidence that chaos chao can in fact mate in the VMU, at least in SA1.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W_2OeO ... sp=sharing

Smaller sample size this time mostly so that I could get some results out a little more quickly due to being a little more busy the last few days. Since it seems like the biggest question of interest with the chaos chao was to see if breeding was possible at all, I didn't fill up the garden. I'm happy to continue to do more experiments on any of the pairs involved here (the two chaos chao, the two normal silvers, the two normal golds, and the two weird ones with animal parts -- one of which only looks gold), especially since the last one seems to have a lot of variance on what eggs come out.
muteKi
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by muteKi »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T87PJi ... sp=sharing

Some more custom breeding to verify whether or not the high level of gold chao eggs in the previous sample was a statistical outlier. Appears to be, with the numbers in these two sets of gardens being closer to 50/50, as the silver eggs in the previous data had been.