What are you currently reading? AKA Reading Topic

Forum games such as "corrupt a wish" and "rate the above poster" can be played in this forum.
This is also the area for casual chat topics.
Chao Points and post counting are disabled in this forum.
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

What are you currently reading? AKA Reading Topic

Post by Lamby »

So I don't know if any of you are avid readers like me, but just in case you are, here is a topic for you and for me. I couldn't find a recent topic for this, but I'm search tool challenged so go easy on me and just direct me to the proper recent topic if there is one.

What are you reading? Novels, short stories, poetry, comics, webcomics, graphic novels; manga, I suppose, and nonfiction apply.

Let's make this a little more than a list topic. Throw in some opinions good or bad: would you/not suggest what you are reading to someone else. You may also ask for suggestions, but please mention a specific genre if you are going to.

Feel free to bump this at any time with something new.

Follow my example:

I'm currently reading H.P. Lovecraft the Complete Collection which contains 100 of his novellas and short stories. The horror is subtle and despite the 20th century language keeps me reading. Picked up the Kindle version for $3.

I've always been an Archie Sonic fan so I've been reading an Archie Sonic Encyclopedia Pink bought me for Christmas. It does a good job with the character history that is fairly up to date.
Last edited by Lamby on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: The Reading Topic

Post by Ivogoji »

The Dark Crystal novelization by A. C. H. Smith.

I plan on buying The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths Vol. 1 graphic novel prequel pretty soon, most likely with some other comics too. My wish list is probably longer than the number of things I'm actually reading right now.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chocohugs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: a minute of thought is worth a lifetime of effort

Post by chocohugs »

I'm rereading the book thief right now, the first time I read it being in like seventh grade I think? fantastic stuff.

I've got we need to talk about Kevin in the queue right now and I'm pretty excited to start that!!
tumbl - twittr | avatar by tsui
(15:29:10) Jack_Augustine has never been hugged by a girl before
mintdrop
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: \('- '\) live life like it's 2007

Post by mintdrop »

I've decided that I'm going to reread all the harry potter books again, since I've gotten into pottermore once again!
ravenyte >> mintdrop
follow my art blog
or if u wanna see a backpack full of rats EMAIL A BROTHA @ EMAIL_A_BROTHA@outlook.com
(00:29:23) Chocolate_Chao: I don't need cute art from a scumbag like you...
chaoko
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: S A D B O Y S

Post by chaoko »

You guys should read The Catcher In The Rye
I know it sounds like another bad "classic", but it's actually really good. It's really hard to explain why, it's just one of those things that happens to be great.
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: The War Against Roaches is over...

Post by CasualCollision »

I've come to accept that I just hate plain old literature. Nothing in the past 3 years in the form of hardcopy, kindle, or raw text on the screen has impressed me, nor has anything immersed be, or kept me from quitting. Maybe I just have a horrible attention span, or a poor imagination. Whatever it is, reading half a chapter of any standard literature is literally painful. I've never been challenged by any visual novels, comic books, anything in between. Perhaps my resentment over literature is coming from some sort of form of anxiety.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

That is a shame. It sounds more like cynicism rather than anxiety that is troubling you, but maybe one day you'll find something that holds your interest.

On topic, I just made a impulse purchase. $0.95 just bought me a collection of all 14 Oz books. I always thought Baum was a magnificent children's writer so we'll see how it goes.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Re: What are you currently reading? AKA Reading Topic

Post by Crash32 »

The Wii U operations manual.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I have only read Wizard of Oz, but I do like his expansive world.

Well, I just finished reading Heart of Darkness for AP English ("The Horror. The Horror.") And I am now reading Tale of Two Cities for the same class. Heart of Darkness, for those who are not familiar with Joseph Conrad's work, is a small novella at 70 pgs. but absurdly dense. It takes forever to read several pages. I almost liked it. Almost. The plot is small, and most of lies in narrative detail (confusing narration) but it has good things to say, if you take the effort to decipher it (ideally with a class making you read it, and helping analyze it.) Tale of Two Cities is supposed to have better plot, and it sounds more exciting (although Dickens uses way too many words.)

For free reading, I will, ideally, start reading The Lord of the Rings soon. I have never read it, but I have always wanted to, and a friend is encouraging me to do so.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Sadly, suffering from a detached retina in what was my one good eye has rendered me functionally illiterate, and I have been incapable of reading anything for about 3 months at this point, and incapable of reading printed materials for even longer.

Anyways, before I lost the ability to read printed materials, I had just started on the portion of the Sailor Moon manga that the S season of the anime was based on from the recent rerelease of the manga as well as working on Viz's recent mass releases of Bleach. I was also staying current with scanlations of Bleach, Kodomo no Jikan, Naruto, and One Piece and the webcomics xkcd and Order of the Stick until my vision got too bad to read invert, enlarged scans. Now I am more or less limited to having my screen reader read to me from a website or text documents.

Any suggestions for something I might be able to find over at Project Gutenburg or any suggestions for a good source for legally obtaining plain text e-books of stuff that is not old enough to be in the public domain? I am also fine with audio books, provided they are in a generic
format like mp3 ogg or flac.

Also, I am waiting in anticipation for further fan translation of the Ojamajo Doremi 16 light novels, and if my vision ever recovers enough for me to read scanlations again, I want to start reading Ravages of Time, a manhua(Chinese comic) based on The Romance of the Three Kindgoms that according to reviews, succeeds in expanding on the source material without suffering from adaptation decay and has some of the best action and military strategy to be seen in any comic series.
Zorua
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Zorua »

I'm in the middle of reading the Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole series. I need to start on book four some time.
Bye.
chocohugs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: a minute of thought is worth a lifetime of effort

Post by chocohugs »

chaoko wrote:You guys should read The Catcher In The Rye
I know it sounds like another bad "classic", but it's actually really good. It's really hard to explain why, it's just one of those things that happens to be great.
heyyyyy I'm pretty sure that's going to be the next thing in English that were going to read as a class so that's neat, I've heard other people say it was good too

TRIP REPORT: I've started reading the 50 shades of grey trilogy. Wish me luck
tumbl - twittr | avatar by tsui
(15:29:10) Jack_Augustine has never been hugged by a girl before
ZeroAlpha
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: ⍟ Prince Dignity ⍟

Post by ZeroAlpha »

I'm just about done with the book, Inheritance. The Eragon/Inheritance Cylce itself was a great series, and I'm slightly sad that Inheritance is officially the last book. I only have a little less than 200 pages to finish, but I keep forgetting to read them. My dad was nice enough to send me the entire series as a birthday present , even though I'd already read Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr prior. Once I'm done with the last book, I'll probably skim back through the first three to revisit some of my favorite scenes. I may also finish reading the Legends of the Guardians: Owls of Ga'Hoole series, since I stopped at book 5 or 6.
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

Meh, I read quite a bit. I've read almost every Stephen King book. My grandmother's an avid fan of his and got me into his book. Currently, though, I just started The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest. It's the past book in a trilogy, and the rest has been muy bueno.
moonsoul
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: How to cure an obsession: Get a new one

Post by moonsoul »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Sadly, suffering from a detached retina in what was my one good eye has rendered me functionally illiterate, and I have been incapable of reading anything for about 3 months at this point, and incapable of reading printed materials for even longer.
I'm really sorry that you have to go through that. I wish I had some websites to suggest, but my knowledge in that field is zilch. :(

I've been trying to read the title Liber HVHI. I've been dabbling in learning about the occult and religions based on such, so a book on Luciferianism seemed like an interesting catch. Unfortunately, it's going way over my head. When I try to comprehend what I'm reading I get easily frustrated. My ever shortening attention span isn't helping either. If I stick with it I feel like I'll absorb something thought provoking, but in the meantime it's a struggle.
Vampires smell good.
Gondi
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Gondi »

I'm currently reading the second of the 'a song of ice and fire' series titled 'A Clash of Kings', which is amazing so far. I'm also reading the 6th Sword Art Online novel.
Coty
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Coty »

I just finished reading this topic. The last book I read was probably Java for dummies... almost a year ago... Unless you count skimming operation and maintenance manuals. Never been big on reading, when I was younger it was due to my dyslexia. However, now that I've pretty much overcome my dyslexic barrier, I have never made it into a habit to read anything that was anything but informative.

@Jeffery Mewtamer: I am sorry to hear about your eye. These days you can often download ebooks from library websites... Might a larger selection? Or at-least different options.
TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN! ☕︎
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

I'm near finished with reading the Harry Potter series for a third time, I just have to wait for the 7th book to be un-checked out at our school's library

I'm also in the middle of the Chet & Bernie series, didn't realize there are 3 other books in the series, it'll be a pain to finish

I read part of Animal Farm again , but stopped reading at the end of the school day, I don't like old novels that much, but I liked the message it sent

I'd love to read these books again, but my school's library doesn't have them:
  • Dragon Rider
  • The Boy Who Couldn't Die
  • Jumper: Griffin's Story
Also I have a bunch of graphic novel/mangas that I read part of but haven't been able to get far in:
One Piece
FMA
Kekkaishi
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

While I haven't started reading yet, my brother just lent me a bunch of greek mythology themed books and plays he's had from college.

Two Classical Mythology textbooks, a book of ten plays by Euripides, and the Theogony.

I'm thinking of reading the Theogony first. He told me its the story of the titans or something.

Greek Mythos is one of my greatest fascinations. Has been ever since I was 12. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this stuff. ): I just wish he'd let me keep the books.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Got The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths Vol. 1 today. I originally planned on ordering a volume of Gottfredson Mickey Mouse comic strips after it came in.

Now I know I'm going to order Creation Myths Vol. 2 instead XP

The story is epic in scale, but only focuses on a single character at a time, making for a small cast much like the movie itself. I like how it manages to be compelling despite the absence of an antagonist. Instead of villains moving the story along, the conflict is generated by the characters' opposing view points and goals. It is easy to sympathize with all sides.

Some details of The Dark Crystal's backstory contradict what is described in the novelization, but I'm going to assume this is simply painting with broad strokes for now. These are "Creation Myths" after all, so there's wiggle room. I can devise a way of harmonizing the different takes on the backstory after I've read all three volumes.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
cinnamonstyx
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by cinnamonstyx »

day 100
captain's log
still looking for a copy of End of Alice that wouldn't be stupidly awkward to explain to my parents should they see it
eboy's seme
Ninja
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao
Motto: The Syna

Post by Ninja »

Halo: The Flood.
I have main character tendencies.
Keep ya head up; things look bad a lot, but you're worth it, I assure you.
cham
Adept Chao
Adept Chao
Motto: Bang Bang Bang Bang Have A Nice Dream

Post by cham »

Percy Jackson. The Last Olympian and a book about Athens and early democracy
Chaotastic
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Chaotastic »

Halo: Primordium
Halo: The Thursday War

The Halo novels are orgasmic.
~ Light the world on fire, just to watch it burn. ~
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by 2012 »

I was reading Insomnia by Stephen King, until for some reason I didn't have the urge to finish the last 100 pages or so.
This is the game where we play the gramps.