Do you think...?

Forum games such as "corrupt a wish" and "rate the above poster" can be played in this forum.
This is also the area for casual chat topics.
Chao Points and post counting are disabled in this forum.
Warning! This topic is 11 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: The War Against Roaches is over...

Do you think...?

Post by CasualCollision »

Do you think that Chao Island would be better off if every current user of this community were to leave? Think about it for a second. We've all grown up. Most of us are now hormonal teenagers who're mean spirited and rather intolerant of younger users, shunning any next generation. Don't you think it'd be better if we were all to leave, and let a new, fresh, naive but nice community arise?

Please note that I'm saying HYPOTHETICALLY if, everybody were to leave and let a new generation join. I know it's never going to happen.
Chaolin112
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: It's just an ordinary dream.

Re: Do you think...?

Post by Chaolin112 »

Not really, although I do feel like there is a lot of difference between the veteran members and the 'new generation'.
Tri
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: Love your enemy, even if they're jerks.

Post by Tri »

I really believe that CI would be better off. (No offend guys.) Everybody that's a veteran thinks of us all as scrubbies and pretty much hate us. I'm not sure if this goes for every veteran (look at Kausa) but CI could really use a change.
This is a REALLY old avatar, so thanks to SonicRainboom!

I finally got a deviantart! Only one drawing now, but check it out!
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

Pfft. Of course not. If everyone left the site would be left with awkward new people trying to get used to each other with no one to guide them... and that would mean the mods would have to leave as well. ._.

:darkcool: Also I'm passed the hormonal teenager stage. xD I was when I joined in the first place. :3 I don't gotta go nowhere.

Also stop playing the 'I'm an abused newbie' card. You can't expect everyone to bend over backwards and put you on a pedestal. You're new. You have to make a name for yourself. And if you act annoying, rude, inappropriate, whiny, I'm certainly not going to respect you.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Chaolin112
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: It's just an ordinary dream.

Post by Chaolin112 »

Makes me wonder if I'm a veteran or not, because I joined in 2008 but technically I've only been around for ~5 months
Tri
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: Love your enemy, even if they're jerks.

Post by Tri »

I know that Pink. I'm just saying that the older users don't necessarily have to like or respect us. They could be a little more...what's the word...

Anyway, now that I think about it, you're actually right. The real newbies have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to work all the editing and putting a link into words. And I see what you mean when you say awkward. So my opinion has changed.
This is a REALLY old avatar, so thanks to SonicRainboom!

I finally got a deviantart! Only one drawing now, but check it out!
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

To be honest, this is true. When we were new, we didn't have people busting our chops for being grammatically incorrect, or being stupid, and if we did it wasn't something bad, it was something to learn from, and took a long time to do that.

But these days, someone like Rubs or Loudclaw come along, and we just insult them, believe we're better because we type better and do more and more things that discourage users from coming on, and joining.

If we left for a day, I'd imagine this place would be a bit better, in terms of our controversial topics, and mini rivalries.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

I'm pretty well received, and I'll have only been here one year as of next month; while I'm not a veteran in the sense my personality has shaped the forum over the years, I often receive thoughtful compliments from the old user base, so I'm assuming this hypothetical question would also include me.
TheMayorOfChaopolis wrote:Most of us are now hormonal teenagers who're mean spirited and rather intolerant of younger users, shunning any next generation.
I don't think this is necessarily true. To my knowledge the older members generally keep to their own circles of friends and only step out against newer users when they're playing the fool. The veterans that antagonize new users are confrontational or jokesters in general, and regardless of whether we stay or go, it is just as likely new people fill old shoes.
retrolinkx wrote:our controversial topics
I want to address this. I've been observing the argumentative threads, among other threads that happen here for a while now. It isn't so much our topics as it is the moment the word argument appears, people start forgetting how to behave. Most argumentative threads are junked up with one-liners and "oh great another argument" before the topic gets to proceed. Civilized arguments give topics substance. But even these carry the same stigma--and it baffles me.

Back on topic, I think leaving would just validate behavior as "well we're old and cynical" instead of leveling better expectations on the existing community. Filtering what you say is something that isn't always learned by the teenage years, so I think it's wrong to say we're grown up. There's still a lot to learn together. Filtering negative and rude comments, being polite and being civilized is not a lot to ask. It is a lot more productive than throwing in a towel. At least I wouldn't go. Making positive impressions on someone makes joining forums worthwhile and has always been my goal. It's how we all should think to make the community fun for everyone.

tl;dr A post in which AtomicBat drones on idealistically, bless his bleeding heart.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Aruesso
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by Aruesso »

i don't think it'd be better off, as much as most veteran users should stop being grumpy dumpies
i can easily name one
Zacmac74
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Zacmac74 »

I don't even know what side I'd fall on, I dont know if I'm a "veteran" or not. But I do think things may be better without some of the slandering and verbal assault that goes on on an almost daily basis.
Last edited by Zacmac74 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was super young when I used this forum and probably said weird or odd stuff. Dont hold me to it!
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

It would be, because people would go here for chao and all together talk about chao.

But I would miss you people and all the fun on here.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
SilverAndBlaze
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao

Post by SilverAndBlaze »

Zacmac74 wrote:I don't even know what side I'd fall on, I dont know if I'm a "veteran" or not. But I do think things may be better without some of the slandering and verbal assault that goes on on an almost daily basis.
I don't know if I am a veteran either, but I do agree that some of the stuff that goes on here cold possibly be avoided if there were all new members.

Luck is just talent spelled backwards. Actually it's not, but it sounded good when I thought of it.
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Sun will rise tomorrow.

Post by Prince Ricard »

I don't know about anyone else, but I joined in December and I'm 13. Not only that, but most people around here at least respect me on some level. I think this place would be terrible if we all left. When I joined, I had to get at least a quick tour from AtomicBat in the Chatbox, and I'm a REALLY good, quick learner.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

If we leave, the newbies would fight with each other.
Linds 269
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Linds 269 »

No
(19:42:34) chaosulitmaster: I find it so creppy that with a IP adress, you can find yuor hoes within a 15-20 mile radius. >.>
(18:57:45) Omelet: I AM INSERTING IT (13:17:50) Omelet: I DID INSERT IT
Ka Night
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by Ka Night »

tldr haze the newbies
(19:20:41) Linds_269: @ LeafNinja: I TOKD YOU TOFL YSE SURPRISE
(21:06:09) Chocolate_Chao: SUCK IT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN
(21:23:05) Riku: superchao didn't choose the brony life; the brony life chose him
(23:40:54) superchao: he is the complete opposite of me so therefor he has to be an ass
(01:29:25) shadow_is_BEAST: @ Mana: you had me at boobs
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

Triert wrote:If we leave, the newbies would fight with each other.
Because we are totally not fighting or preventing them from doing so...
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Gondi
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Gondi »

I am pretty much gone from this forum anyway and the only reason I come back sometimes is to see how close it is to killing itself.