So there's these trains...

Forum games such as "corrupt a wish" and "rate the above poster" can be played in this forum.
This is also the area for casual chat topics.
Chao Points and post counting are disabled in this forum.
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

So there's these trains...

Post by chaoadventures »

"Okay now, a train traveling at 460 watts from England by the circumference of the city of Wisconsin, terminating at the air speed to ground-base ratio, what city in France would the trains collide?"

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Pufflehugs
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Re: So there's these trains...

Post by Pufflehugs »

There's no telling where it'll collide when the tracks are so hard to draw.
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

Right so let's assume the train has a mass of 103,700 kg because that seems like a reasonable mass for an England ground-base train.
The city of Wisconsin is no doubt Milwaukee. Even though Madison is the capital, let's be real - no one talks about Madison. Anyway, to find the circumference of this not-circle shapes city, all we have to do is know the square kilometers it covers (250.71 km^2). Because square implies l=w, we can, obviously, just find the square root of it to find the length of Milwaukee: 15.83 km. We then cut that in half and substitute it into C = 2(pi)r = 99.46 kilometers. Now we have our distance.
Anyone that has sat in front of a railroad crossing knows that a train accelerates at a pace exactly slow enough to make you miss your appointment. As I do not have an appointment until tomorrow, it can be calculated by factoring in the distance I must travel that the train must accelerate at 0.0032 km/h^2.
Knowing all these, we can substitute them into the following equation to solve for time, and use that to find the city. Luckily for us, we will not need to convert km and hr to the meters and seconds necessary to find joules, because watts are already known, of course.

P = ([M*A]d)/t
t = ([M*A]d)/P
t = (103700*0.0032*99.46)/460
t = 71.75
Here I applied a classic technique of not writing the units into the equation, preventing them not coming out correctly in the result.

Putting that into Google yields that IP addresses ending with 71.75 are found in the France city of Rennes, which is where the trains will collide.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

English trains don't travel to France.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^So are all chunnel trains French? Or was I being lied to when the latest chapter of Lady Archimedes by White Squirrel(Excellent Harry Potter fanfic by the way, though you'll definitely want to read the Arithmancer first since Lady Archimedes is the second part of that particular epic, and the author's Accidental Animagus verse and various short stories and novellas are also worth a read) when Hermione mentioned that the chunnel had trains?

Also, I'm a computer scientist, not a mathematician, but I'm pretty sure most of the maths in this thread are complete nonsense.