Alternate Accounts and Name Changes

Things about the forum and updates will be here.
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Maple
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Alternate Accounts and Name Changes

Post by Maple »

Since this forum has been re-released, alternative accounts (alts) have been "frowned upon" but no action has been taken against them. Since then, however, the use of alts has grown out of control. Though it might be months late, this is the new policy:

No.
(With technicalities, of course.)

For pretty much all intents (and purposes, if you like being redundant), secondary accounts should be avoided. At maximum, each person is permitted two alternative accounts. All excess accounts made before this post are allowed to be kept.

If you're throwing your monitor at the screen because you like changing your name, no worries. Administrators JmTsHaW and Mooncow will change your name at the cost of 200 Chao Points, with much better reliability than the past. Note that if the name change is big enough, we may require you to say your previous name in either your signature or avatar for a month. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis. We'd also like to note, that if you do get your name changed, you don't have the right to reserve the name you were previously known by. You changed your name, it's not yours anymore.

Some other regulations in regards to username changes are:
  • You are only allowed to request a username change once a year.
  • All requests will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis and will be approved/denied at our sole discretion.
  • If a new account is made due to the denial of your request, you will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including the deletion of your account(s).
  • If your account is under 6 months old, you can have your name changed once for free.
Furthermore, punishments will now span across accounts.

For example: If you are issued a warning on one account, the same warning will be applied to your other accounts.

New accounts made during the duration of a warning will also be issued the same warning. The same concept applies to verbal warnings, chatbox suspensions, etc.¹

¹Chao Point reductions are excluded.

JmTsHaW edit: Note that if you do decide to get your name changed you will not be able to have it changed again for an entire year, so please take time when considering a name change and try not to act on impulse!
"stop talking about your dried up fruits."
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Re: Alternate Accounts and Name Changes

Post by Crash32 »

"You are only allowed to request a username change once a year."
so essentially this rule is saying
"If that name change doesn't work out well for you - too bad - we can't bothered changing it back, I already changed it for you 11 months ago. Go suck it up."

I also find it funny that probably 6 months or so after I joined I made a topic asking if alts are allowed, and I got a big yes. I've never once seen anyone frown upon them. Everyone became used to having a bunch of alts all over the place, and now all of a sudden it's changed to "No." What if someone already has 4 accounts and they'd like to have a fresh start or something? The rules are going to end up getting bent pretty often??

...anyway so why no?
Blade Genexis
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Never stop fighting for what you believe in.

Post by Blade Genexis »

Requests for name changes can be made as often as you want, but they will only be approved once a year. As usual, common sense plays a part here. We try to be as specific as possible, either way. The rule will be updated accordingly.

To answer your last question- The rule simply wasn't in writing before. Now it is.
Without change, there can be no progress.
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: The Sun will rise tomorrow.

Post by Prince Ricard »

I'm gonna have to agree with Crash here.
Sable
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Sable »

i agree with crash and titu as well, i think it should be lowered to six months
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

This is a comprehensive, fair, and forgiving policy, considering that alts on many forums result in an automatic ban and that username changes are allotted once--not annually--once--if at all.
Crash32 wrote:"If that name change doesn't work out well for you - too bad - we can't bothered changing it back, I already changed it for you 11 months ago. Go suck it up."
It means that we'll be expected to be responsible for the choice we make for one year. I don't think it's a lot to ask. I highly doubt the staff is just inventing intricate policy to decrease what they have to do; seems like they're preventing confusion and unnecessary or rampant name changes.
What if someone already has 4 accounts and they'd like to have a fresh start or something?
This crackdown would indicate fresh starts are a thing of the past, I assume. Limiting alternate accounts and tying punishments to all of a person's accounts defeats their purpose, and will probably discourage their creation in the long-term. It also cuts down on shenanigans and bad posting habits because it is a reminder everything you do is tied to accounts identified as yours. I don't presume to speak for the staff, but these are benefits I could perceive.

More on point, and now I'm addressing the staff: you struck a good balance between lenience and authority. I support the changes.
Last edited by Lamby on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Maple
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Maple »

Crash32 wrote:"You are only allowed to request a username change once a year."
so essentially this rule is saying
"If that name change doesn't work out well for you - too bad - we can't bothered changing it back, I already changed it for you 11 months ago. Go suck it up."
No, essentially the rule is saying that you can only have your name changed once a year. I'm not sure why having a different name won't "work" for you, as you are the one that chose it. Though, if for some odd reason, there is backlash from the community about your new name I'm sure you could work something out with JmT or Mooncow and have it changed back to what it was previously.
Skyralie wrote:i agree with crash and titu as well, i think it should be lowered to six months
I don't see why someone would require their name to be changed more than once a year. You don't go around offline saying your name is something else every 6 months, do you? You chose the name you use on this forum, and you should try to stick with it. If you don't like it, you can have it modified once a year.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

Gonna side with mapes here. There's no reason for anyone to need to change their username more than once a year. I was on a forum once where you got one name change *period* and once you changed your name you were stuck with it. And on top of that, if you tried to make an alt account, both the alt and your account got banned.

This is the most lenient forum I've ever been to.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
NachoThePikachu
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Never let the world change your smile.

Post by NachoThePikachu »

If a request for Username Change is Denied, How do you know? Do you get a Pm saying it's denied?

I think I requested a name change a while ago, It hasn't changed yet, and I didn't get any response/Feedback on whether or not it was approved... Then again, I didn't know The 200 Chao points pay up was required, so I didn't pay my points, Should I pay the points? Or do I wait for some Pm saying I was denied or accepted before hand?

I'm just really confused, And I was hoping to get my username changed too. :(
☆~Bow down to the Banana Lord~☆
Add me on Discord! ☆ NachoThePikachu#0622
TwitterDeviantArtTwitch
Ivo-goji: Of course. Bananas are always the answer. How foolish of me to think otherwise.
Wolf
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao

Post by Wolf »

i think we should have to pay 20,000 cp :^)
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

Maple wrote: I don't see why someone would require their name to be changed more than once a year. You don't go around offline saying your name is something else every 6 months, do you? You chose the name you use on this forum, and you should try to stick with it. If you don't like it, you can have it modified once a year.
now while this isn't offline, i change my name on steam almost daily
some names that i've done recently that i can remember are

"Crash the Demotrain" when I was only using the Splendid Screen in TF2
"Arena Security #1" or something like that when I was trying to keep idiots away from a sniper duel in the arena
"ENGIE FLY" when joining in when one entire team put on the engie Halloween fly set.
"Mr. Krabs" when I put a cheap raffle on TF2R and then joined a server pretending to be the cheap crab.
"♥Pan Army♥ Crash" (clan tag)
"Oscar the Grouch" to match a friend's name that was Elmo
"Demoknight #1" or something to annoy a guy that joined the server that I was on who was named something similar
"SANIC HEGHOG" should be obvious enough
"no" when some crap was going on on some server
"hi" probably for annoying points
"Fake Crash" was when a steam friend copied my scout loadout, avatar, name and we were trying to confuse everyone.
There are also clan tags that I sometimes have and sometimes don't.

and these are just recent ones off the top of my head
point is, name changes are very common online, and if i could only change my name once a year on steam, it'd be very very inconvenient
SkyGinge
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by SkyGinge »

Wait, so does if making secondary accounts is now frowned upon, does that make Ziroy in trouble for suddenly making a new one?

Also I'm with Pink and Batty in thinking this is a good idea, well done mods, keep up the good work :D
PM me if you have any piece of writing that you want reviewed, I'll do my best to help you out!

Funky stuff:
NachoThePikachu
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Never let the world change your smile.

Post by NachoThePikachu »

I take it that I may not be able to get my username changed. ;~;

That shucks. But it's okay.
☆~Bow down to the Banana Lord~☆
Add me on Discord! ☆ NachoThePikachu#0622
TwitterDeviantArtTwitch
Ivo-goji: Of course. Bananas are always the answer. How foolish of me to think otherwise.
Eevlynn
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao
Motto: these PRETZELS are making me THIRSTY

Post by Eevlynn »

@ Crash: Steam accounts are tied to your original account name, though. A Steam username is basically a Nickname. Even though you can change your username at any time, the account's original name is unchangable. This cuts down on the confusion and helps people find you easily on Steam.

But Steam names work a tad differently than the forums Once you change your forum username, it stops being yours.

Only your friends will notice if you change your name on Steam. On the forums, however, everybody on them will notice. As a result, the forums names are supposed to be a tad more permanent. If you could change it more than once a year, you'd only be creating more confusion than there should be.

The one year rule is also there to make you really think the name change through. It keeps people from picking names that they'll only regret later. We're going to be responsible for the name change for a while, so it's best to make sure it's something worth doing.

The fact that we have any name changing is great, though. The forums, along with things like Steam, don't have to let users change their names. That bit of freedom is great to have, but everything needs a bit of moderation.

@ SkyGinge: I don't know the exact situation with Ziroy, but as long as they have less than two alts, they should be fine.

@ Nacho: If nobody has said anything, that's not a no. Send another request, and you should get a reply. One of the admins might have overlooked your request; it's just something that happens. Don't worry about, hahah. If you ask again, you'll get a message back explaining whether or not it was accepted, and what to do from there.

Oh, and I'd wait until he confirmation/denial before you send in the chao points. No use in sending your points if the request gets denied!

--

I feel that the changes were made correctly. Gives us some freedom when it comes to our usernames, but still restricts some users from creating dozens of unneeded accounts that are just going to sit there.

Great change, might consider taking up that offer in the future. :)
used to be eevee chao

like to pop in every once in a while :)
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Prince Ricard »

Okay, I'm going to use MYSELF as an example here of how usernames can have backlash. When I joined here, I thought, "HMM, THIS IS A SONIC COMMUNITY, I'M SURE THEY'LL APPRECIATE THIS." Well, not only does that idea not strike me as much anymore, but the number of times people have decided to call me "tit," "tity," etc. is just plain annoying. Now, I want a new username, but I'm not quite sure what to change it to, and I don't want to risk an unforeseen implication of it and having to deal with it for a WHOLE YEAR. A year is a long ****** time, okay?
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Crash32 »

@eevee
yes i understand that
i'm just pointing out how often i change my name on there

and tits ultimate above me makes a great point
Snowy
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: Never look at your life as something insignificant.

Post by Snowy »

What Ultimate said... I was struggling for over 3 days thinking for a user name to change too.
Maple
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Maple »

I'd like to point out that drastic name changes still aren't an option. The situation with Skyralie (Riku) was special, and a name change such as that will most likely not happen again.

@ ThisIsTheUltimate: You could easily have your name changed to just "TheUltimate" and I'm sure there would be any backlash. Also, what you used really isn't an example of what I said. I said I don't see how changing your name would cause backlash, where you said not changing your name is causing backlash.
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Prince Ricard »

i don't know if it will but i didn't know it would the first time did i
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

A little tidbit of wisdom: (not just for Titu but for users in general)

Unless your name was something completely stupid like "blazeismywaifu" or "herpderpderpderp" the rude nickname you get based off your username is not because of said username.

Most nicknames come about if you're obnoxious or an overall terrible poster and people have decided that they don't like you. If you're rude, annoying, and just plain unlikeable, people are going to not like you and if you continue to troll and be annoying when someone tells you to stop, they'll lash out at you in any way they can.

I call you Titu because your name is too dang long and Titu is a clean, easy to remember shortening of it. All long names are going to get shortened. That's why most nicknames exist.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

I fail to see how changing your name more often is going to prevent possible harassment. That said, there are still users that have different accounts today who are still referred to by their old usernames or other names. There were name changes before this policy that were completely ignored by the user base. If you're being referred to by insulting names, the cause isn't your name but an issue between you and that person.

That said, even if it did make a difference, it still does not diminish the need to crack down on the rampant and unnecessary activity.

Edit: Late.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Prince Ricard »

There are users here who are far more obnoxious than me. Do they get their usernames made fun of? I think not.

And let's say I've tired of my username entirely. Must my new username still resemble my old one?
Pic. v2.0
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Pic. v2.0 »

Who makes fun of your name, cuz I'll pounce der ***

And are the name complications fixed? Because JmT denied me cuz of a complication
Twerk

(10:06:43) Pic._v2.0: DUMP BUCKETS OF PISS ON HER WHEN SHE IS SLEEPING
(10:07:02) Pic._v2.0: AND THEN PUT HER HAND IN HOT WATER
(10:07:13) Dr._Roivas: pic is a fan of urine related vengeance
Prince Ricard
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Prince Ricard »

piccolo289 wrote:Who makes fun of your name, cuz I'll pounce der ***
see topic: create a nickname for the user above, anytime anyone got angry at me
despite the fact i've made it perfectly clear before that it annoys me to the extreme
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: The War Against Roaches is over...

No fun allowed.

Post by CasualCollision »

I find this whole 2 alts at a time thing to be over controlling and honestly kind of stupid. Why again is it a big deal to have several alts, regardless of how silly or pointless they are sometimes? It's just as frowned upon to make alts too frequently as it is to make nooby, naive, and childish posts. Do we limit or prohibit those too? Furthermore, how're they out of control? When has somebody RECENTLY abused alt creation OTHER than Ka Night impersonating Riku? I'd like to see some evidence of alternate accounts being as rampant as you make it out to be. It being frowned upon shouldn't be a valid reason to prohibit something if it isn't necessarily harassment.