Video Game Championships

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Video Game Championships

Post by chaoadventures »

Manectric is also every other fast electric in that example though, like Raikou and Thundurus-T.

4 turns are over pretty quickly, but most Doubles matches are like 8 turns, so by turn 5 the damage is already done, even if they Protected you either have an advantage
or you don't. Also, Paralysis only cuts Speed by 25% (I seriously could have SWORN it was 50% for both.) so Tailwind is still better.
"I've won and lost games due to crits, it's just part of the game and something you have to suck up."
HAHAHAHAHA, NO. Battle/Shell Armor. You can also EV yourself to survive some of those. This is also why you have to hit your opponent first, before they get a Critical Hit.
"And wow, luck, that's pretty much half of what pokemon is all about."
You are correct. BUT.
In Pokemon, EVERYTHING can be stopped, Including luck.

There are two things you can do while making a team and assessing threats.

1. Ignore Them, if you ignore M-Kangaskhan exists, it's gonna show up one day and you can't do anything about it now. This also applies to luck.

2. Fight Them. If your team beats M-Kangaskhan, you win (Within this example.). You have beaten the strongest Pokemon, but if Rock Slide flinches and Thundurus starts spamming Swagger,
"That's no good."

You can stop flinch and stop status and use all moves that don't miss with a team that works.
And if you can do that. You win the Duel. Not just 1 match in set of best 2 out of 3.

You win both.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

Speed is cut by 50% I think, but the chance to not attack is 25%. I think you got them switched around :P

You have very short double battles.

How many viable pokemon are there with Battle/Shell Armor? If I'd have to answer that, I'd say Drapion and Mega Slowbro are the only ones. Mega Slowbro is a great pokemon btw, reminds me that I have to build one. The other pokemon that get it are good, sure, but can't compete with all the OU monsters in enough situations.

1. That's a pretty bad decision, but eventually, your team can't cover everything. It's why the uncommon methods to win are usually the key. That's called "anti-meta".

2. You can fight a bunch of them at once, but never every single one of them. If I'd try to rock slide a Thundurus to prevent Swagger, there's a few things that can happen. Rock slide has to hit. If it hits and doesn't kill, a flinch would be nice. Still not? Swagger can miss. No? Hopefully I'll break through confusion.

So what to do to prevent all of that? I'd need an accuracy increasing item, perhaps. I'd need to get some evasion for swagger to miss, or put up a safeguard. Maybe I need a power boost like a band or life orb to KO a Thundurus, but then I can still miss. There's a lot of factors you have to consider, but when making a choice, you usually go by everything that's the most likely. You count on rock slide hitting, but not on flinching. You count on Thundurus landing the swagger, but never on it missing. The confusion is a straight up gamble.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... ndition%29 Annnd I'm starting to stop trusting Bulbapedia as much.

Aren't all 4 vs. 4 doubles matches like that? Either way I still got the advantageous position I wanted.
Tobi wrote: but can't compete with all the OU monsters in enough situations.
Wait. Hold on. Are you playing Smogon Doubles?
Tobi wrote:How many viable pokemon are there with Battle/Shell Armor?
Either way that's why the other options are there.

I know what Anti-Meta is. That's why Smogface's bans are so stupid. I'm actually playing Anti-Meta right now by stopping Thundurus.

Also, Whimsicott Safeguard. Swagger Problem Solved.

Boosting Evasion is like saying hoping Rock Slide misses, is a strategy to stop Charizard from getting KOed from Rock Slide.

I count on Thundurus hitting my Garchomp with Swagger and it eating it's Persim Berry. Reliability's nice, but if your stuff misses it doesn't matter anymore.
I mean, Charizard-Y Overheat beats Aegislash, but it doesn't when it misses. I might hit every time, or it might NEVER hit.

Not strong enough? Helping Hand.
Flinches? Tailwind.
Swagger and Thunder Wave? Safeguard Whimsicott.

- - -
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

I'm just using OU as a term because it's so generalized. Also, Smogon doubles is a myth and I don't believe in it.

Whimsicott solves a lot of things. I think it has the fastest taunt? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's more like a pre-caution than anything else, I wouldn't rely on evasion unless I build my pokemon around it. It's just an example of what you can do.

Myeah but if your rock type move misses Thundurus, you get a second swagger in your face. I personally wouldn't swagger physical opponents too soon.
It's why I don't like to run Overheat. My Arcanine missed Overheat way more than I expected, but I need it on Arcanine for a strategy.

Any non attacking move? Taunt. Taunt everything. Taunt is love. Taunt is life. TAUNT.

I'm also going to make this whole thing very ironic and end up not running Pachirisu in the upcoming Pikachu Cup :P
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

Who Swaggers twice? That's why I use Smack Down or when the going gets tough, Wide Lens Rock Tomb. So Garchomp instead Dragon Claws Thundurus.

Whimsicott is the fastest Prankster. Ever.

Are you going to use the XD Follow Me Eviolite Electabuzz, which is legal for some reason? I was actually gonna compete in that Competition but, my Earthquake Electivire strategy didn't work as well as planned during testing.

- - -
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

People who want to guarantee confusion and want to gamble even harder. And well, if you run wide lens, you don't have the persim :P

Yeah exactly, which means it gets priority on top of all the moves it learns and will be the fastest. I should make a second Whimsicott because the one I currently have has beat up.

Well from what I've seen you can run Stunfisk for stab ground attacks and Elecitvire for earthquakes. There's no mold breaker (aside from Mega Ampharos without earthquake) so there's no way going around all the Rotom forms, Emolga and Eelektross, unless you use gravity. Then again, gravity will take down your partner too so you can't have Rotom, Emolga or Eelektross next to you, so they need to protect in order to be safe. That doesn't work if Electivire is scarfed.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

But, if you used the Persim you can use a +2 Dragon Claw on Thundurus.

The main problem I had was Electivire being Will-O-Wisp'd by Scarf Rotom. Since, Emolga's Taunt isn't fast enough, the only thing I can do is give Electivire a Lum Berry.
But, if I put a Lum Berry on it then it doesn't have the White Herb I gave it anymore and the problem now is Luxray's Intimidate. And after playing some matches where neither happened, Electivire's Earthquake also didn't hit as hard as I intended.

As for Stunfisk, I didn't try it because it didn't look like it wouldn't hit hard enough to make up for its speed.

- - -
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

I;m currently breeding my team and accidentally bred a shiny Pichu, but it has Static. Do you think it would matter to use it anyway, because it doesn't have Lightning Rod? It's not like people will use electric attacks anyway.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

If it wasn't Shiny, I'd keep breeding, because if someone uses Discharge, like I did to activate an ability you'd get a boost too. And someone can't just Thunderbolt themselves to stop
that problem. But, it still wouldn't be much of a problem. Then there's also the fact Static doesn't do anything.

- - -
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

Well the point is that I will choose between using a shiny for some street cred ;) or lightning rod for the off-chance someone decides to use an electric attack around electric type pokemon, especially if they are ABLE to have lightning rod.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

Now that I think about it, the shear threat of having Lightning Rod should probably keep them off your lawn.
Then I say go for the Shiny, unless it has imperfect IVs/wrong Nature.

- - -
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

The nature is good and the IVs are 4 perfect, and that's fine with me. I was gonna use a different one with the same IVs anyway, so I'm just gonna gamble on fear and use a shiny to look cool :P
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/worlds/2015/

Link to the VGC Worlds Twitch stream.

- - -
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

Day 1 highlights.

That one guy I don't remember, that kept Earthquaking himself and sabotaged his own Ferrothorn.

Wanna fight Mewtwo? How about a team of 6 Mewtwo? Well, you're not gonna see any of those here! - VGC introduction video voice.

Who knows, maybe some Pokemon was too OP and got Nerfed. - D1, commentating on Pokken Tournament. That was notable because it sounds weird saying and hearing those terms out loud.

One more thing:

The girl singing 1-2-3-4 Wipe your hands. during the intermissions. Also, the fact we'll never get to find the songs they played, just like last year.
Last edited by chaoadventures on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- - -
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

Didn't even know there were livestreams for that. Oh well, I usually watch the ones on youtube. Earthquaking yourself sounds bad, especially when doing VGC.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

I think the guy hit quaked himself twice, too.

Here's some of the matches that were played, I think most of them weren't on the stream I posted, There's also strings Japanese all over it because it was from a different Japanese stream
and SOMEONE thought it was a good idea to put the chatbox messages over the video. You also have to know what most of the moves look like because, Japanese.

- - -
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

If they allow region names to be used on a pokemon depending on it's region they should allow nicknames too, because seriously I can't ****ing believe that people have actually gotten used to what certain pokemon are in japanese because they've encountered it so often on battle spot that they remembered it. If your game is english, it should show all pokemon with english names, etc. Final. God >:I
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

^Technically, you'd never know what country your opponents are from unless you checked the names. That matters because the Japanese meta-game is slightly different.

Day 2 Highlights

I got that Mewtwo quote wrong.

Do you feel like fighting against Mewtwo?

What about 6 Mewtwo?

Well, you won't be doing either here.
-
"I'm sorry, it's commentating, what am I supposed to do?" -Jonathan Indovino, after giving a commentator's curse to a Fully Paralyzed Cresselia (Alberto vs Blake)
-
"I just enjoy eating dang slices of pizza." I don't remember who said that, but the commentators kept referencing it, and it was funny.
-
chuggaaconroy showed up. I don't watch Let's Plays but, that was probably pretty cool for those who do.
-
"Shadiest clown I've ever seen." While the players were taking a break, the commentators were looking at Global Link statistics, and discussing Conkeldurr.
I've honestly never noticed how much of a shady clown Conkeldurr was until this day.
-
After an Intermission, the commentators voices weren't being broadcasted, so the intermission music kept playing while they talked.
-
I'd say something about the Top 8 and Top 4 Matches, but in general, they were pretty good.

- - -
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

Day 3 highlights
-
I missed the on-stream finals. WONDERFUL. (This is counts as a notable event right? RIGHT?)
-
instead of having continents floating around the normal link battle stage, the stage is blue instead of green and there's a globe in the back and it looked awesome.
Definitely one of the best reasons to try to get to Worlds.
-
The 2015 Masters Division Video Game World Champion is, well, if you want find out you can check Serebii's news or watch the Japanese streamed videos. Congratulations, to that guy anyways.
-
2016 Worlds will be held in San Francisco, California. Worlds just went from me needing a flight, to an Uma Train Trip.
-
EDIT: They're doing a re-broadcast of the stream on the 25th, for day 1 and day 2. And then Day 3 on the 26th. I wish they would just give everyone their archives instead.

I'm gonna go watch the archived videos with unintelligible Japanese floating across them now.

Another Edit: The Japanese archive can only be described: 88888888888, this is the only thing I can read and it makes no sense at all no matter how you slice the pie.

- - -
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

I heard something about a heart swap Smeargle.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

OH YEAH. That was Day 1, I missed that match the first time.

So, there was a Geomancy Smeargle. And the same person had a Aurorus with Hyper Voice, and used Psych Up on their own Smeargle.
Then Mega Salamence came out, and Smeargle used Heart Swap on it.

Best execution of Doubles Shenanigans I've ever seen. Didn't work Game 2, because that plan was extremely obvious after that.

- - -
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

Yeah that's the issue with such cool strategies, they only work once. Even when facing a new opponent, they might know what you're up to already from seeing other matches.

EDIT: I want to know your opinion on this, because I personally agree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz5SgEQKZuY
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

From what I can see, VGC's lack of variety, is probably caused by no one trying to actually stop anything.

If you try to stop Landorus-T, you bring something with Wide Guard, Aegislash.

If you want to stop Aegislash you bring Heatran.

If you want to stop Heatran. Guess what, you bring Landorus-T.

If you want to stop everything we haven't already you bring Kangaskhan.

That looks like trying, but it isn't.
Instead of bringing whatever "solves" that problem, there should be something that solves multiple problems.
For example, Close Combat M-Gallade beats both M-Kangakhan and Heatran.

Thing is, I honestly should have seen this coming, after seeing the best stuff on teams for XY Battle Spot.
Additionally, everyone seems to be doing what I attempted during XY; use what everyone else is using.

Not in the way Tyranitar/Excadrill/Salamence was used. But, by practically using the same team, which is,
Kangaskhan/Thundurus/Heatran/Landorus-T/Cresselia/Amoongus. This is literally Shoma Honami's team, but it's how you're supposed to use the base,
other people just replaced random parts. (Not really, but effectively.)

This is not necessarily bad, but it makes the game effectively "Blitz Chess with Luck and a Low(er) Barrier of Entry".
Which has also previously been achieved by Gold and Sliver (Seriously). From a spectator's view point that's boring. From a competitor's, slightly less so.

Although, eventually, someone will break the cycle with something so freakin' amazing and crazy, it destroys everything on the Top 8 teams.
Okay, maybe not like that. but if everyone keeps using the same stuff, an anti-meta game will be developed. It probably would be have been best to
play also with predictions of the teams at Worlds, so instead of having these weird, universal mirror matches, you can capitalize on the foreseen mirrors.

In other words; too many people playing meta, not enough playing anti-meta and those who play it need to try harder.

Personally, I'm fine with most Legends since they kinda kill each other by existing in the same format. Swagger, as a TM however...

ALSO, smogon is worse than I thought.

- - -
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

I kinda hate using legendaries, or at least, the over used ones. Landorus-T especially. People should go into VGC and run disable and/or wide guard.

People sure need to run a lot more anti-meta, but people are scared to do so because anti-meta doesn't mean that your team will be able to get very strong.

Gallade should definitely get more play. I got my ass kicked by a scarfed Gallade, granted he had Night Slash and I had a mono ghost type team.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

^I've actually never found of anyway to pull off disable well.

Rules for VGC remain the same for the 2016 Championships!

In other words, Battle Spot Doubles.

This text never happened. Start all over with new cards and reset all damage to beginning levels.
Limit 1 per deck.
Last edited by chaoadventures on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

- - -