Potential massacre foiled at Pokemon World Championship

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Potential massacre foiled at Pokemon World Championship

Post by Tobi »

Apparently two teenagers that were let into worlds were planning on taking firearms after online threats. They didn't just go in with a simple gun, no, the took a rifle and a shotgun with them, with tons of ammunition. Due to them talking about the shooting on social media, as well as posting pictures, someone didn't trust it and decided to report it. They Boston Police managed to retrieve the firearms before any shooting happened.

Sources:

http://bpdnews.com/news/2015/8/23/keepi ... ampionship

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... kemon.html

https://twitter.com/bostonpolice/status ... 2913766400
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Potential massacre foiled at Pokemon World Championship

Post by chaoadventures »

I actually heard about this, but forgot.

Why would anyone do this in the first place anyways?
Before that, I have to question this bigger question to ask. What idiots go around saying they're gonna shoot some people, not expecting to get arrested?

Who ever reported this needs a reward.

Regardless, I am very happy they didn't get away with this.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

Maybe they got beaten by certain people and want to get back at them. Maybe they just thought it would be fun to shoot people. It's a mystery so far.

I think people took it as a joke, because it's absolutely absurd something like that would happen. Good thing someone didn't trust it. These things just need to be reported at all times.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I wonder how long before the Witch Hunters try to spin this as proof that Pokemon is evil and corrupting our youths.

As to why the perpetrators revealed their plans on the public Internet(which makes announcing your crimes over a megaphone seem like confiding in a few close friends), maybe they were just stupid or maybe there was a part of them that felt enough guilt to hope they got caught before they could hurt anyone. It isn't uncommon for someone to think in a fit of anger that they'd like to kill so-and-so, but it takes a lot of nerve to actually shoot someone once the initial anger has subsided, and I'd argue that most lose their nerve long before getting an opportunity to pull a gun on their intended target.

Also, while this is Pokemon-related, anyone else think something like this should go in General where even non-Pokemon fans will see it and can comment?
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Now that you mention it, I think it should a little bit. It's effectively is just a gathering of people at competition that were about to get shot.

As for that witch hunter thingy, any game with Violence on the ESRB rating or a competitive fighting game probably has a higher chance of being argued against.
Pokemon has "Mild Cartoon Violence" and "Comic Mischief", that's pretty hard to fight.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

chaoadventures wrote:As for that witch hunter thingy, any game with Violence on the ESRB rating or a competitive fighting game probably has a higher chance of being argued against.
Pokemon has "Mild Cartoon Violence" and "Comic Mischief", that's pretty hard to fight.
This has nothing to do with Pokemon's ESRB ratings. It has to do with the media claiming that the games in some way influenced the two kids clearly in poor mental states to attempt what they did. This both provides a scapegoat so the focus isn't directed at the ol' "we as a nation can't provide people with the proper healthcare they need if their mental states are unbalanced" problem as well as have a juicy new gossip topic to get clicks/views from. It's the same reason heavy metal/violent video games/even things like dungeons & dragons when it was rising in popularity in the 70s were/still are labelled by social media as the reason these people commit the things they do. It's an easy target, even if they have nothing to do with the actual problem (like the Columbine Shooting).

Frankly it's disgusting and I hope the kids can find the help they need to solve this problem they have, instead of just rotting in a prison cell for almost committing a horrible mistake.
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Not to mention that there are people who literally think Pokemon is all about satanic summoning rituals and using summoned demons for wicked purposes, and even among the less crazy critics are those who believe it promotes animal cruelty. People have been accusing popular media for all the world's ills ever since the printing press put books in the hands of the common folk and probably long before even that. I'm prety sure both Jazz and Rock and Roll have had their turns as being called "The Devil's Music", I'm sure Dungeons and Dragons and the entire Tabletop RPG genre of games have been accused for causing anti-social behavior despite the fact that playing such games is inherently a social activity, and I'm sure every popular fantasy novel with any mention of magic has at least once been accused of promoting witchcraft. Hell, Super Mario has at least once been blamed because some kid went out and stomped some turtles to death after playing Mario.

Simply put, there are a disturbing number of people who fail to understand that a psychologically healthy individual can distinguish between fantasy and reality, and that for many people, the ability to act out fantasies involving things that would be abhorrent in real-life actually helps keep those darker impulses at bay. If people where really as easily swayed to criminal acts by the media they consume as these people seem to think, the fact that popular FPS franchises like Halo and Call of Duty sell millions per installment should translate to tens of thousands of mass shootings each year committed by people who played these games, yet the total number of intentional homicides for the United States is on the order of 15,000 annually, a figure that would suggest that less than 1% of those who play violent video games are murderers even if every murderer played violent video games.