Pokemon Sun/Moon trailer and advice

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Pokemon Sun/Moon trailer and advice

Post by Mooncow »

So I decided to randomly see what's up with the new pokemon game and turns out a new trailer was released today with the starter pokemon! And release date is November 18th 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn25hijDL7c

So I think now would be a good time to ask for advice from everyone - the last pokemon game i played a lot was Leaf Green/Fire Red which was great. I don't know much about the newer games, but are the mechanics the same? (EV's, IV's, etc)
Is everyone in the same boat for this game where it's brand new pokemon no one knows?

Before anyone jumps on me, I didn't just post in the main Sun/Moon topic because i'm looking for specific advice, and we don't really need to cram everything related to the new game into one topic, or there would be no activity on this board :herocool:
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Goat
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: Actually more of a Gadfly

Re: Pokemon Sun/Moon trailer and advice

Post by Goat »

IT WAS HAWAII

TRAINER CUSTOMIZATION IS BACK

https://youtu.be/2r0_F-_ClcQ

ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

Mooncow wrote:So I think now would be a good time to ask for advice from everyone - the last pokemon game i played a lot was Leaf Green/Fire Red which was great. I don't know much about the newer games, but are the mechanics the same? (EV's, IV's, etc)
I'm not sure on the EV and IVs, as I'm not a competitive player, however it should be noted that a new type, Fairy, was added in X/Y. The new typing has changed weakness/resistance of several pokemon.
Fairy was made to fight back Dragon, which was becoming a over used powerhouse with only 2 type weaknesses (Dragon and Ice), and it's becoming a common type in competitive play.
Fairy is super effective against Dragon (dragon type moves don't even hit fairy types), Dark, and Fighting. Fairy is weak against Poison and Steel, however.

Also in X/Y, a new evolution mechanic was introduced. Known as Mega Evolution, it's a faux evolution that occurs in battle. It's restricted to one pokemon per battle, and the evolution lasts till the end. While mega evolved, pokemon change shape (but not as drastic as real evolution), abilities, and some times even typing. This mechanic has saved several pokemon that were barely ever used, such as Mawile and Kangashan. Currently there are 46 pokemon who can mega evolve, and 2 of them have 2! versions. (that makes 48 megas!)

EV and IVs are a bit easier to train/hunt for, I might want to add.
In X/Y, a Training Area was added on, where you can train pokemon in the EV of your choice. There is no leveling, so you could actually EV a lv 100 with it. (granted you would need to reset the EVs, then start from scratch)
Then in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, the DexNav was introduced. (R/S/E's Navigator was given a overhaul) The DexNav can be used to hunt shiny pokemon, and when you see more and more of the same pokemon, more info will be shown. When at a high enough level, the nav will show when a pokemon has great IVs. (Doing this I got a Absol with good IVs. ....now if I could locate it among my other absol..)
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

I'm already enjoying how this game looks more like Pokemon Colosseum and XD.
Mooncow wrote:So I think now would be a good time to ask for advice from everyone - the last pokemon game i played a lot was Leaf Green/Fire Red which was great. I don't know much about the newer games, but are the mechanics the same? (EV's, IV's, etc)
Is everyone in the same boat for this game where it's brand new pokemon no one knows?
EVs and IVs are almost completely the same! The changes are: Making it easier to pass down IVs by breeding and EVs now cap at 252 instead of 255 (which were useless extras anyways),
and Legendaries now always come with 3 perfect IVs. In Diamond and Pearl, new items for EV training were added. The "Power" items add 4 EVs to any EV gain, it even comes before a Pokerus boost.
By using Super Training you can do 2 things. Raise your Pokemon's EVs and more importantly reset them (and view the direct numbers in the process).

If the last game you played was Firered or LeafGreen, then you didn't get to see the Physical/Special split from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. So now every Fire type move isn't automatically a Special move,
meaning Fire Punch is Physical now. This has weakened and improved several movepools for some Pokemon. (For example, Alakazam doesn't have a (good) Fire attack now, but Machamp does.)

One new type got added (Fairy), and the type chart changed a bit. (Steel no longer resists Ghost and Dark, among a few other smaller things.)
Just like in Gold and Silver, attacks and Pokemon types changed retroactively. Attacks like Charm and Moonlight are now Fairy, and Pokemon like Clefairy, are well... Fairy.

There's also Hidden Abilities, which were added in Black and White, allowing Pokemon like Charizard to use newer abilities, or just to add to the normal maximum of 2 abilities.

Then there's Horde Battles. Wild Pokemon Battles with 5 opponents! (And just a generation of games before X and Y, Triple and Rotation Battles were added).
These usually include 5 Pokemon of the same species, that work together, but not always. Sometimes Pokemon like Plusle and Minun will be in the same horde, in addition to some other things.

Due to this, many people use hordes for EV training, even though Super Training was introduced the same game.

And yes, nobody knows the new Pokemon. Except Magearna. Which was revealed before anything else.

And I think Shadria covered everything else.
ShadriaFan wrote:There is no leveling, so you could actually EV a lv 100 with it.
I think they changed the way they calculate EVs in Black/White, so you could do this anyways. I think it gets recalculated every battle or something like that.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

Also, the advent of internet connection has opened up some new things.
Wonder trade exists as a ridiculous lottery of getting really lame things or insanely and obviously hacked things, where you put something up for trade and then get randomly matched with someone else putting something up. It is pretty entertaining, although it is best to assume nothing from it is legitimate.
And then there is the ability to trade and battle with people, which are to be expected.

But they could totally introduce some new mechanics or such (I would assume nothing as big as Megas or Fairy type, but who knows) and put us all in confusion for a bit.

For the trailer itself, I thought it was a reasonable blend of real world stuff, although it was definitely oriented for a kid audience. Hawaii is cool though. It will probably be like Hoenn, with half the map being water, though.
BlackLuigi7
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: My ego will blot out the Sun.

Post by BlackLuigi7 »

Reminder that unattended children will be sold as slaves.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

The starters look pretty meh, but it's early days. They might become more loved from the anime, fan art and several other things. Probably going to go for the Fire or Water starter.

The location looks cool, very tropical and reminds me of Hoenn in a way. Hopefully gives off the same feel of going from a tropical forest to a modern city and then to a mountain/volcano dealie.

I'll still get it and finish it. Pokemon is always something I love to play and complete, always has great music and feels, and if the locations are up to scratch, we could really have some fun locations to explore.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!