SOS Mechanic in Pokemon Sun and Moon

The Pokémon board, because of popular demand! Gotta catch 'em all!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

SOS Mechanic in Pokemon Sun and Moon

Post by Crazo3077 »

This may end up having a different direction from the initial question, but I haven't had much success getting information about using the SOS Mechanic to catch evolutions in the wild. So that's what I'm going to ask about, using the situation I am in as an example.

My younger brother is still early on in Pokemon Sun and wants a Slowking. I thought it'd be fun to try and get one from a Slowbro, which can be found hanging out with Slowpoke using the SOS Mechanic. Eventually I get a Slowbro to appear, and Frisk says it didn't have a King's Rock, so knocked out the Slowpoke and waited for the Slowbro to call more Slowbro. After five call attempts, which were very inconsistent, I got another Slowpoke.

Was to wrong to think a Slowbro would call for another Slowbro? Would the Slowpoke I knocked out have called for another Slowbro? Or is this not something people have played with enough? I can't find anything online that really helps, but I could be looking in the wrong places.

I have since learned about a place to catch Hariyama, which also can carry a King's Rock, and I could also just use Pick Up, but there isn't an easy way to track when a Pokemon has picked something up, unlike the touch screens in past Pokemon games typically having a display that lets your know.

So yeah. If you know what's up with the SOS Mechanic, let me know. I really am curious.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Re: SOS Mechanic in Pokemon Sun and Moon

Post by Flame »

From what I can tell, it's based on where you're doing it. In terms of that particular SOS mechanic, the higher chance is probably just Slowbro in general, so you'll have a tiny chance of getting a Slowking. I think that no matter what version of the pokemon's evolutionary line it is, it has the same chance to call for the same Pokemon, the only thing that changes is the chances of calling for help depending on the pokemon species; so if a Slowbro has a 90% chance for its appearing ally to be a Slowbro, a Slowking that may appear as part of the 10% still only has a 10% chance to call for a Slowking rather than a Slowbro, for example.

Does that make sense? I think that's how it works.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

It makes sense, but I'm not certain Slowking can appear, and I'm more concerned about finding a Slowbro carrying a King's Rock. Though the focus of my question is more on whether or not the SOS Mechanic can go from having Slowpokes that call for Slowpokes to Slowbros that call for Slowbros. Or if one Slowpoke calls for a Slowbro, will that Slowpoke continue to call for Slowbro, or may it call for another Slowpoke?

It is such a weird idea to express, so I can't think of a clear way to explain.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

In general, a Pokemon that can only be called by another Pokemon can't call itself (or anyone else for that matter), but that's neither here nor there.

The Pokemon called by another Pokemon is completely random (and selected from a set selection, i.e: Chansey calls Chansey, and Elekid and I think Magby, but Ditto only calls Ditto).
You can check an individual Pokemon's call rate (as in the chance of it being called on) on Serebii, Slowbro's SOS is listed as "Rare".

I still don't know where to go to find what something can call, since Serebii's more detailed encounter rates don't make sense to me.

Also I can't tell if you knew, but Frisk doesn't work after the Pokemon with Frisk gets sent out (unless withdrawn), so you might want something more common just in the regular grass to save time
(coincidentally, Hariyama does that). I'd just go to the Battle Tree personally, but that place takes too much time to get a good enough team. Additionally, having a lead Pokemon with Compound Eyes increases the chance of a wild Pokemon holding an item.

Source: Me getting a level -30 Shelgon from Bagon chaining (and never getting a Salamence) and getting a Thick Club Cubone.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.