[SA2B] Stat Grades and Inheritance

This forum is now locked! Thank you for all your contributions. A new Wiki system for future contributions is being worked on.

(A forum for those who are able to contribute information for the main website, and help the website become the #1 source for Chao!)
Warning! This topic is 12 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tayrtahn
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

[SA2B] Stat Grades and Inheritance

Post by Tayrtahn »

This thread intended as a branch off of this thread so as not to hijack it completely.

I recently got my own copy of SA2:B after playing the Dreamcase version for years. Since I was starting completely fresh, I decided to write down the stat grades and family trees of my chao from the beginning, in order to gather information about inheritance and such.

I noticed some oddities in some of the stat grades. Here's the data:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Steel, a silver chao from the TCG had ECBDC, which raised to ECADC at adulthood.
Grace, a shiny purple chao from the black market had BCAED, which raised to ACAED at adulthood.

Steel and Grace had two children, both snazzy shiny jewel chao:
Primus was born with BCADC and raised to BCACC.
Secunda was born with BCAEC and raised to ACAEC.

Primus and Secunda have so far had two children:
Shine, a silver chao, was born with ECACC.
Gleem, a shiny normal chao, was born with ACACD.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Notably, Shine's parents both had B's in swimming, but Shine wound up with an E herself. I suspect this came from Steel, as he's the only member of the family with an E in swimming.
Also note the appearance of a D in stamina on Gleem, presumably passed down from his "grandmother", Grace.
I'm just now noticing that while Gleem was able to inherit the A in swimming that Secunda gained at adulthood, both Primus and Secunda inherited the B in swimming that Grace had in childhood (rather than the A she gained as an adult).

From this information, I suspect the following:
When a chao is born, it can inherit stat grades from either of its parents as well as its parents' parents. This means there are 6 possible values to inherit for each stat. Fusion has said that chao carry two fixed, inherited values for each stat grade, which are not changed as the chao's own grades improve.
"New" chao (bought from the black market, the starters for each garden, etc) have these inherited values too, but the game just initializes them to the same values as the chao's own stats. However, these values are not changed when the chao evolves. This explains why Primus and Secunda inherited B's from parents who had E and C themselves.

So, the children of Steel and Grace have the following "gene pool" for stats:
ECBDC - father's father [Faked]
ECBDC - father's mother [Faked]
ECADC - father [Steel]
BCAED - mother's father [Faked]
BCAED - mother's mother [Faked]
ACAED - mother [Grace]

And I wound up with BCADC and BCAEC, which make sense.

The children of Primus and Secunda then have:
ECADC - father's father [Steel]
ACAED - father's mother [Grace]
BCACC - father [Primus]
ECADC - mother's father [Steel]
ACAED - mother's mother [Grace]
ACAEC - mother [Secunda]

And I got ECACC and ACACD, which make sense.

This would of course be more interesting if the grandparents weren't the same chao...

Is anyone still following me at this point?
So far, this model seems to work as a decent explanation of how the system works. I will continue to track my chao's lineage and see if the model holds up. Happy breeding, folks!
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Re: [SA2B] Stat Grades and Inheritance

Post by Fusion »

Keep in mind that whilst it's possible that the eight pairs of grades in a chao's DNA are always set to the eight grades of each parent at the time of breeding, it's also possible that they're randomly picked out from all of the grades available to the parents. In other words, there might be a chance for grades to be kept from great-great-grandparents, and so on.

Something like this would probably be easier done with memory editing or a tool like my editor, where you can see the exact DNA grades that all of the chao have. It can still be done this way, though.
Tayrtahn
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Re: [SA2B] Stat Grades and Inheritance

Post by Tayrtahn »

That's a good point. The extra set of grades may pick from the whole pool just like the chao's actual grades do. How confusing. So if you're unlucky enough, it would be possible for a chao's great-great-great-(etc)-grandparents to still contribute some E grades when breeding. Bleah.

And yeah, the memory editor would be great for testing this kind of thing. 'Fraid I don't have SADX for PC though, so I'll have to keep investigating this the hard way. If anyone wants to check it out with the memory editor though, I would certainly welcome that.