Unexplored nevative chao behavior

This forum is now locked! Thank you for all your contributions. A new Wiki system for future contributions is being worked on.

(A forum for those who are able to contribute information for the main website, and help the website become the #1 source for Chao!)
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
The_Awesome_Chao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Unexplored nevative chao behavior

Post by The_Awesome_Chao »

If you abuse your chao very very very hard they will run around and scream.

If a dark chao is abused he may through a tantrum and make strange noises

If a dark chao HATES your character he/she may walk up and start kicking you and if you run away it will through a tantrum

So I'm sure you have heard of the bully Chao myth? Well one time I decided to expirement on my chaos chao by beating him up with shadow and petting my SSSSS chao in front of him. And whenever he tried to eat I took it (with shadow) and gave it to my sssss chao. All the usual things abused chao do were happening but all of a sudden he charged my sssss chao and then they both started doing that thing that chao do when the push the ball in the sadx chao race (it looks like the were hitting each other) then they ran in opposite directions. Whenever I placed them near eachother the other stops what he is doing and leaves. It seems it may be possible to make chao dislike eachother and I think this should be looked into.

This was done in sa2b. My chaos chao was hero and my SSSSS chao was dark.

The reason this is so unexplored I think is because expirienced chao raisers are afraid to abuse their chao. But I think someone should look into it.
Chao Professor
Motto: It's thinking...

Re: Unexplored nevative chao behavior

Post by Chao Professor »

This is very interesting. I don't suppose you could post a video of this behavior in action? I would love to look in to this. Like you said, I'm afraid to abuse my chao. I love them :sway: I knew about dark chao throwing tantrums, and I also knew about chao punching and kicking your character. But I have never seen or heard about chao punching EACHOTHER in the garden. A video would be very greatly appreciated :chaohappy: Thank you for your research
Image It's still thinking...
The_Awesome_Chao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Chao Professor wrote:This is very interesting. I don't suppose you could post a video of this behavior in action? I would love to look in to this. Like you said, I'm afraid to abuse my chao. I love them :sway: I knew about dark chao throwing tantrums, and I also knew about chao punching and kicking your character. But I have never seen or heard about chao punching EACHOTHER in the garden. A video would be very greatly appreciated :chaohappy: Thank you for your research
I will try to get it to happen again but I'm not sure how to post my own vids ( I take them on my iPhone)
Shining Chaos Chao
VIP
VIP
Motto: beer, sleep, game, repeat.

Post by Shining Chaos Chao »

I've tried stuff like this before and got no results except for the usual unhappy/stamping/etc animations, and a few cases of chao attacking characters.

Not discounting the possibility of "bully chao", but I've never seen any chao react to another chao at all except for the standard stuff (mating, singing, dancing, instruments) - the vast majority of the time chao are alive they are completely unaware of the presence of other chao.
Even chao appearing to do stuff together (chasing the same ball, watching TV, listening to radio) are still in their own little worlds and aren't reacting to each other.

Chao attacking one another would be one item on a very short list of activities chao truly engage in together.

TC has piqued my interest - but a video in action would really help me justify the amount of time it would take to test this.
If you do manage to do it again, don't forget to record as much information as you can - ie. personalities, ages

Edit: Please confirm which version of the game this was done on - The game has been ported a thousand times now and I'm not sure which one/ones are/aren't called "SA2B"
The_Awesome_Chao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Shining Chaos Chao wrote:I've tried stuff like this before and got no results except for the usual unhappy/stamping/etc animations, and a few cases of chao attacking characters.

Not discounting the possibility of "bully chao", but I've never seen any chao react to another chao at all except for the standard stuff (mating, singing, dancing, instruments) - the vast majority of the time chao are alive they are completely unaware of the presence of other chao.
Even chao appearing to do stuff together (chasing the same ball, watching TV, listening to radio) are still in their own little worlds and aren't reacting to each other.

Chao attacking one another would be one item on a very short list of activities chao truly engage in together.

TC has piqued my interest - but a video in action would really help me justify the amount of time it would take to test this.
If you do manage to do it again, don't forget to record as much information as you can - ie. personalities, ages

Edit: Please confirm which version of the game this was done on - The game has been ported a thousand times now and I'm not sure which one/ones are/aren't called "SA2B"
the game cube version and I can post vids because I don't know how :darkcry:
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

pRe: Unexplored nevative chao behavior

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Perhaps this video will help you get videos from your iPhone to YouTube. Though, for quality results, you'd be better off purchasing a capture card so you can record directly from the gamecube's A/V out to your PC's hard drive.

Too bad fully disassembling games that won't fit on a floppy disk is so impractical. The code for every Chao behavior is right there, but even if you managed to separate all the hard-coded data from the compiled machine code and disassembled said machine code, tracking down and understanding every bit of the disassembly that relates to Chao behavior is a task that would drive most people insane.
Palmpoa Commander
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Palmpoa Commander »

there is no code for this. Chao behaviour is dependent on 'flavoured' bounding boxes, so a chao can't react based off its own experience to the behaviour of a player to another chao. For example, a chao getting petted creates an area around the chao that will inform other chao objects that the player {not the chao} is petting now.
Shining Chaos Chao
VIP
VIP
Motto: beer, sleep, game, repeat.

Post by Shining Chaos Chao »

Palmpoa Commander wrote:there is no code for this. Chao behaviour is dependent on 'flavoured' bounding boxes, so a chao can't react based off its own experience to the behaviour of a player to another chao. For example, a chao getting petted creates an area around the chao that will inform other chao objects that the player {not the chao} is petting now.
Not that I don't believe you - it makes perfect sense - but has anyone written anything in depth on this you can link me to? Would be a good read, even if it's not directly related to what this topic is about.

Looked in the hacking forum but couldn't see anything not about the standard evolutions/textures/etc
Mayo
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: Hey hey! This is SapphireChao

Post by Mayo »

The_Awesome_Chao wrote:they both started doing that thing that chao do when the push the ball in the sadx chao race (it looks like the were hitting each other) then they ran in opposite directions.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that animation may come from an animal (can't remember if it were from the Bear or Gorilla, but they can trigger a forward movement + arm flailing randomly), from my judgement, it looks like a coincidence of animal-based animations in one place.
Although, I did do some testing of one Chao being spoiled and another abused, the abused Chao (which was aligned Hero) started crying when I was nearby, but didn't seem to interact with the spoiled Chao. I still think the game programs Chao to interact with the caretaker more so than with other Chao.
The_Awesome_Chao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

This only happened once. But I am sure it was a fight. One moved towards the other like he wanted to mate. But his hands were raised and their were no flowers. When he reached his target both chao did the go go dance facing eachother. After that they seperated and never interacted again.