Fusion's Chao Editor 2.3 for SADX and SA2B (2016-01-05)

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
coty-crg
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Re: Fusion's SADX PC Chao Editor (Version 1.0, 2011-01-15)

Post by coty-crg »

EliOceans wrote:Oh my gosh, I love you Fusion. XD

If only my CPU could run this. Just gonna have to wait until my birthday.
>CPU
CPU = processor, bro.
If you mean your computer in general, and are trying to abbreviate "computer," at least say "comp" or something.
~http://crossedshadows.com/GirSig.png <--because apparently 150p is to big. >.>
~Come check out some of my games at http://crossedshadows.com/. They all suck!
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

coty-crg wrote:Of course, I'm guessing that the original PC Chao Garden has a ****-ton of variables, compared to mine.
Yes. It does. If you have the necessary information to read my .chao files, it should be an easy process to import them into your game. However, exporting a chao from your game into SADX and not having a crash or a messed up chao would probably be a difficult task.
coty-crg wrote:Oh, hey! Unreadable data! (I guess I should have expected this).
Well this is sad and depressing. I have no idea what does what, and really don't have the time to experiment with it all. Hm. Not to be rude, but would sending the source of your program do me any good in figuring out what does what?
It would, but I don't want to share my source code. It's possible that I could give you all the offsets where each chao value is in the file, though. Another option is for me to add an "export to .tcg file" or something, which would be specifically for your game. Having two separate files seems like a poor choice though.
EliOceans wrote:Oh my gosh, I love you Fusion. XD

If only my CPU could run this. Just gonna have to wait until my birthday.
Why can't you run it?
coty-crg
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by coty-crg »

Yes. It does. If you have the necessary information to read my .chao files, it should be an easy process to import them into your game. However, exporting a chao from your game into SADX and not having a crash or a messed up chao would probably be a difficult task.
Necessary information would be a nice thing to have. ;)
And for things crashing on import, this would be an easy fix. Just catch whatever variables I don't have, and set them to a default value, before importing.

It would, but I don't want to share my source code. It's possible that I could give you all the offsets where each chao value is in the file, though. Another option is for me to add an "export to .tcg file" or something, which would be specifically for your game. Having two separate files seems like a poor choice though.
(Well now I'm sad and depressed I'm not trusted with code). Anyways.. It would be a bit inconvenient to do that, but it would be doable. I could list off exactly what variables need to be assigned for mine, and I could also do a separate export from the Tiny Chao Garden to yours. With each of our programs adapting to the others' formats.

edit: (actually my format is just an encrypted .ini file, haha)
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

coty-crg wrote:And for things crashing on import, this would be an easy fix. Just catch whatever variables I don't have, and set them to a default value, before importing.
Sure, but not all of the SADX chao data is known and understood yet. I could take one of the chao that SADX creates when you first enter a garden, and use the values from that as the defaults. That doesn't fix the problem, though; those values will still be lost by transferring to your game and back. It could be the chao's personality or anything else that's important.
Renaethecat
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Renaethecat »

When re-ordering my Chao on the list by garden, something weird happened. I was working on my Chao, Fusion's (Yeah, I named a Chao after you. XD) stats, then I decided to rearrange all of my Chao, so it was easier for me to tell how many I had in each garden. After I did that and returned to my game, I had Fusion in my hands, and then he changed to Mel Mel's color and name, but was still a Chaos Chao (Yet had Mel Mel's halo). This happened to all of my Chao in the garden, as well, even though it said that they were all still in their correct gardens. >.< I don't think this is supposed to happen...?

I exited and entered the garden again, and that appeared to fix it, but it was still kind of odd.. I think the Chao in each slot obtained the color and name of the previous Chao who had been in that slot.
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

Were you rearranging them with the cut and paste options? Not all changes show up on the game instantly; the pop-up help windows point this out. This also applies when changing those values by pasting new data into a slot. Leaving the garden and returning will probably fix everything. For best results, rearrange the chao while you're outside of the garden.
EliOceans
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by EliOceans »

Fusion wrote: Why can't you run it?
Slow CPU. Bad/low graphics card (or something like that). And it's pretty old too. This thing can't run very modern programs. But don't worry about it! :D

I might be able to do it on the family's laptop, but that's pretty slow too. Still it can run stuff.

I'll use this when I get my new laptop, like I said. Thanks for your concern.
Pssst. Thanks SonicRainboom for the avatar!
coty-crg
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by coty-crg »

Fusion wrote:
coty-crg wrote:And for things crashing on import, this would be an easy fix. Just catch whatever variables I don't have, and set them to a default value, before importing.
Sure, but not all of the SADX chao data is known and understood yet. I could take one of the chao that SADX creates when you first enter a garden, and use the values from that as the defaults. That doesn't fix the problem, though; those values will still be lost by transferring to your game and back. It could be the chao's personality or anything else that's important.
Yeah..values not being known can be an issue. (since I don't have source to scan over, though, I can't really comprehend exactly how you are going about editing certain variables).

But my point is, they don't need to be in our save files, these unknown values, they could simply be randomly(?) generated each time that file is loaded, and only save what we know.
Drouge
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Drouge »

So I got to play around with this, and I had a glitch.
Adding in the new gardens for Sonic didn't work until I had unlocked both SS and MR. I have yet to try with any other characters.
And yes, I exited both the garden AND game, and this was still the case.

And I have 2 suggestions
1) If you can find a way to keep the filesize down, adding in preview pictures of the chao could be a pretty cool feature (of course, in the installer you could put this as a checkable feature during installation)
2) If it's possible, making chao change evolutionary paths while in the garden would cut own on the headaches I'm going to get while finally starting my project of the shiny chao pictures again.
(such as Hero/run into Dark/Fly, etc)
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

I posted this on Sonic Retro: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=24121
coty-crg wrote:But my point is, they don't need to be in our save files, these unknown values, they could simply be randomly(?) generated each time that file is loaded, and only save what we know.
They could be generated, but data would be lost by doing that, and data loss isn't a good thing. It's perfectly safe to transfer a chao from SADX to your game, but it is not safe to transfer a chao from your game to SADX. I suppose I could still allow it and include a warning message about it. I'm not sure about adding support for your game's .ini files directly, though. Why should your game be given any special treatment? No offence, but it seems dirty in a way to support a random fan-made game. If we came up with some sort of open chao format (perhaps XML?), then your game and any other game or program could add support for that format.
Drouge wrote:So I got to play around with this, and I had a glitch.
Adding in the new gardens for Sonic didn't work until I had unlocked both SS and MR. I have yet to try with any other characters.
Interesting. I will look into this. Thank you.
Drouge wrote:1) If you can find a way to keep the filesize down, adding in preview pictures of the chao could be a pretty cool feature (of course, in the installer you could put this as a checkable feature during installation)
2) If it's possible, making chao change evolutionary paths while in the garden would cut own on the headaches I'm going to get while finally starting my project of the shiny chao pictures again.
(such as Hero/run into Dark/Fly, etc)
I have already considered both of these ideas; thanks for bringing them up. I've already made some progress on having things change instantly instead of requiring that you leave the garden and come back.
Drouge wrote:my project of the shiny chao pictures
What project is that? I plan to write a program soon to automate screenshots of every evolution/colour combination in high quality for the Chao Gallery.
coty-crg
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by coty-crg »

They could be generated, but data would be lost by doing that, and data loss isn't a good thing. It's perfectly safe to transfer a chao from SADX to your game, but it is not safe to transfer a chao from your game to SADX. I suppose I could still allow it and include a warning message about it. I'm not sure about adding support for your game's .ini files directly, though. Why should your game be given any special treatment? No offence, but it seems dirty in a way to support a random fan-made game. If we came up with some sort of open chao format (perhaps XML?), then your game and any other game or program could add support for that format
Yeah I guess that's understandable. (add me on msn so we can talk a bit more about this)
Speeps
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher

Post by Speeps »

I don't know if this is fixable, but normal chao on extreme second evolutions seem to go transparent, this doesn't affect other chao.
MoonMintFox
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by MoonMintFox »

Yay, I'm downloading it!
I hope it's easy to use :3
(22:21:58) Linds_269: Someone beat Amy's vagina count
(22:22:02) Linds_269: hurry
avatar by CHOCO uwu ty New account is Ravenyte. :>
Twiddle
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Twiddle »

My father just ordered SADX PC so I should probably have it in about two months. I've finished all of the character's stories on the GameCube, with the exception of Big. ...Those fish are scary...
This program looks fun. I really can't wait!
Tobi wrote:Image
Tobiiii~, this image should be used whenever somebody says something unbelievably strange. |v|
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

^Sure, awesome XD It's really a deeeeeeeeeeeeeerp face XD
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
MoonMintFox
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by MoonMintFox »

I can find the file on my computer! I downloaded it and everything! And when I edited the chao's stats, it makes no difference!
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

Did it even say it found the game?
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
MoonMintFox
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by MoonMintFox »

Ah, i found it. Nevermind.
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

So are you able to use my editor with no problems now, MoonMintFox?
Drouge
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Drouge »

Drouge wrote:So I got to play around with this, and I had a glitch.
Interesting. I will look into this. Thank you.
More info: I went in first thing after Emerald Coast, and tried unlocking the rest of the gardens. Nothing happened until I went to the Mystic Ruins and manually went to the garden via minecart.
Drouge wrote:my project of the shiny chao pictures
What project is that? I plan to write a program soon to automate screenshots of every evolution/colour combination in high quality for the Chao Gallery.
The one to get screenshots of all the first evolution chao as shiny. Though the program would take a load off me.
Twiddle
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Twiddle »

You got SADX PC!
Stored it away on the PC.

You got CHAO EDITOR!
Stored it away on the PC.

I never could figure if PC stood for Personal Computer or for Pokemon Center. |.|
MoonMintFox
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by MoonMintFox »

Fusion wrote:So are you able to use my editor with no problems now, MoonMintFox?
Yup! I have a few suggestions, but for some reason I forgot some of them...

1) Is it possible to make it so you can have non-mean-or-chaos-chao eyes for a dark chao? I tried giving my dark chao "closed up" eyes, but when I exited and re-entered the garden, the eyes were the same and the editor said the eyes were "mean". I'm wondering; is this a bug, or is it something that can be added on?
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

JmTsHaW wrote:I don't know if this is fixable, but normal chao on extreme second evolutions seem to go transparent, this doesn't affect other chao.
This is a known issue. I don't think it's easily fixable; it's just the way the game works. I might add a note about it though. Giving the chao a different colour fixes it fine.
MoonMintFox wrote:Yup!
Excellent. I'm glad it's working for you.
MoonMintFox wrote:but for some reason I forgot some of them...
Let me know if you remember the rest.
MoonMintFox wrote:Is it possible to make it so you can have non-mean-or-chaos-chao eyes for a dark chao? I tried giving my dark chao "closed up" eyes, but when I exited and re-entered the garden, the eyes were the same and the editor said the eyes were "mean". I'm wondering; is this a bug, or is it something that can be added on?
I wasn't aware of this, but I can reproduce the issue. I'll see what I can do about it.

In other news, I have been putting together a chao army of clones:

Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

^Something is missing in your garden. The fountain perhaps?
JmTsHaW wrote:I don't know if this is fixable, but normal chao on extreme second evolutions seem to go transparent, this doesn't affect other chao.
This also happened with my chaos chao.
Gaon
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Gaon »

this is like a pokesav, but with chao, because with pokesav you can hack pokemon's stats, and your SADX PC chao editor can hack textures and stats of the chao, pretty cool huh

(Edit: I am Proficent :cool: )