SA2B GC Chao Editor?

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
epcthunderfist987
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: They ruined my home!

SA2B GC Chao Editor?

Post by epcthunderfist987 »

I'm trying to get specific Chao but their color eggs won't show up in the Black Market. Is there some sort of Chao Editor for the Gamecube version of SA2B?

Also, I only have ONE memory card. I don't have money to buy a second one off the internet or some used game store, so that path's out of the question.
Crappi's Codec frequency: 149.87

Lyn's Codec frequency: 140.64
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: SA2B GC Chao Editor?

Post by chaoadventures »

Nope.

Closest thing is finding a way to transfer a chao save file from GC -> GBA -> PC and then editing the GBA save file with a hex editor.

However, at that point, you might as well have bought a new memory card because a GBA to PC cord probably costs more, along with being more complicated to use in the first place.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
epcthunderfist987
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Gosh dang...

Wait there's a GBA to PC cable?

How much do they go for?

chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

I don't remember, but likely way more than just a memory card.

They're also much rarer since they stopped being made a long time ago (not to mention were never sold by Nintendo themselves).
In fact, I can't even find the online shop listings for one anymore that I found a few years back.

- - -
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Plus, you might need a GBA GameShark or Action Replay for the GBA-USB cable to work, and even if the hacking device isn't needed, the software for letting a PC communicate with a GBA might not work on newer versions of Windows(and might never have gotten a OSX or Linux port).

If I'm not mistaken, there are ways to use a Hacked Wii to transfer data from a GCN Memory Card to PC, but again, if you don't already have everything setup, the materials needed to set things up might make scrounging up money for another memory card the cheaper option.

If you have a powerful enough PC, you might be better off just saving up for the steam version of SA2 or emulating SA2B under Dolphin for all the complications involved in hacking on hardware for a system that's too old to be considered "modern" but not quite old enough to be considered "retro".
azureprism
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: without memes i will die

Post by azureprism »

I remember reading something about getting the hombrew channel on the Wii, using it to extract a Chao save from a memory card, then copying it to an SD card and then altering the data with a hex editor on a computer. I wanted to try it a while ago to change some Chaos Chao, but I have no clue where my Wii is after my father moved houses.
Moogle
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Moogle »

I use this method, tedious but can get you a lot of cool chao, even with random textures! Unessasary tutorial incoming (cheapest method I think) :chaohappy: (assuming you have these things already lmao)

Needed things; :darksurprise:
  • DS FlashCart (super cheap on ebay / wish, I got mine from wish and it works perfectly)
  • DS Phat/Lite (duh)
  • A PC that can run VBA or any other GBA emulator
  • GBA Link cable
  • Advance 1/2 or Pinball Party
  • Depending on your FlashCart; a 2GB MicroSD or bigger
Step 1) (assuming you have already set up the flash cart) Download this : http://filetrip.net/f3228-GBA-Backup-Tool-0-21.html : extract the files and put it on the root of your MicroSD card

Step 2) Insert the copy Advance 1/2 or Pinball Party

Step 3) Turn on the DS and wait for the FlashCart to boot. Onces it's done select the GBA Backup tool

Step 4) Once it launches you have a simple menu. Follow on screen instruction to back up the save.

Step 5) Turn off the DS and remove the MicroSD card from the FlashCart and put it in your PC

Step 6) Rename the save so it matches the ROM or viseversa (Make sure the rom you are using matches the region of the save!) :herosurprise:

Step 7) Run the ROM on your chosen emulator and get to the TGC

Step 8) Go to Tool>Memory Viewer. A window will pop up with numbers and letters everywhere

Step 9) Use this guide: http://chao.awardspace.com/white.html : It will tell you everything you need to know so credit to the peeps who wrote this and shiz. Use the correct codes for the game you are using

Step 10) Save and exit to rewrite the save file. If you renamed the save file instead of the ROM, change the name back to what it was before. Otherwise the save will not work :surprise:

Step 11) Put the save back on the SD card and get to the backup tool again

Step 12) This time press R then press A to restore the save

Step 13) Run the game on your GBA and link up to SA2B/DX

Step 14) Enjoy this chao awesomeness! :chaohappy: :darkhappy:

Example of what you can get:

A Tails chao with a pretty cool looking purple and black texture
Last edited by Moogle on Sat May 12, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

Edit: ^I, uh, that works too.

You can indeed use Wii homebrew to transfer and edit saves, using an SD card, but quite frankly after installing homebrew on my Wii, that's barely worthwhile if you want to go through all
the hoops it takes just do that and nothing else.

- - -
Moogle
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Moogle »

Oh and if you can't do any of the mentioned methods, you're out of luck. The only options you have would be to buy a new memory card or buy the steam port of SA2B/DX and use a chao editor
:darkno:
epcthunderfist987
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

I have no money, so I guess I'm completely out of luck on this. Gosh dang it... Wait a minute! I know someone who actually works for Nintendo! They might be able to help me get a second memory card! I cannot believe that I forgot about that. They helped my get my 3DS. And then the replacement one that I got after my first one was broken by a seven year old who I foolishly let use my 3DS just so he could try freaking Yo-Kai Watch. I still have no idea why I was given that for christmas when I asked for the 3DS version of Sonic Generations.

VileplumeGamer
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by VileplumeGamer »

Moogle wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:34 pm I use this method, tedious but can get you a lot of cool chao, even with random textures! Unessasary tutorial incoming (cheapest method I think) :chaohappy: (assuming you have these things already lmao)

Needed things; :darksurprise:
  • DS FlashCart (super cheap on ebay / wish, I got mine from wish and it works perfectly)
  • DS Phat/Lite (duh)
  • A PC that can run VBA or any other GBA emulator
  • GBA Link cable
  • Advance 1/2 or Pinball Party
  • Depending on your FlashCart; a 2GB MicroSD or bigger
Step 1) (assuming you have already set up the flash cart) Download this : http://filetrip.net/f3228-GBA-Backup-Tool-0-21.html : extract the files and put it on the root of your MicroSD card

Step 2) Insert the copy Advance 1/2 or Pinball Party

Step 3) Turn on the DS and wait for the FlashCart to boot. Onces it's done select the GBA Backup tool

Step 4) Once it launches you have a simple menu. Follow on screen instruction to back up the save.

Step 5) Turn off the DS and remove the MicroSD card from the FlashCart and put it in your PC

Step 6) Rename the save so it matches the ROM or viseversa (Make sure the rom you are using matches the region of the save!) :herosurprise:

Step 7) Run the ROM on your chosen emulator and get to the TGC

Step 8) Go to Tool>Memory Viewer. A window will pop up with numbers and letters everywhere

Step 9) Use this guide: http://chao.awardspace.com/white.html : It will tell you everything you need to know so credit to the peeps who wrote this and shiz. Use the correct codes for the game you are using

Step 10) Save and exit to rewrite the save file. If you renamed the save file instead of the ROM, change the name back to what it was before. Otherwise the save will not work :surprise:

Step 11) Put the save back on the SD card and get to the backup tool again

Step 12) This time press R then press A to restore the save

Step 13) Run the game on your GBA and link up to SA2B/DX

Step 14) Enjoy this chao awesomeness! :chaohappy: :darkhappy:

Example of what you can get:

A Tails chao with a pretty cool looking purple and black texture
i made a backup of my game, but i can't make a SAV? also my backup won't open in VBA
EDIT: turns out it wont detect my cartridge somehow, i have literally tried everything to fix this and nothing is helping, it's acting like my game isn't in my DS
epcthunderfist987
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

unfortunately, I don't have the money to drop on those things. I do have a GBA, though, even if then L/R/Select buttons don't work anymore. I've supported emulation in the past, but I refuse to play the ROM versions of games using my GBA. Also, I don't have a computer that can be used for that stuff, as I only own a Chromebook laptop.
I get that you're trying to help, but I need to find an option that's completely free.

Swate
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Striving to fully understand Chao

Post by Swate »

VileplumeGamer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:11 pm i made a backup of my game, but i can't make a SAV? also my backup won't open in VBA
EDIT: turns out it wont detect my cartridge somehow, i have literally tried everything to fix this and nothing is helping, it's acting like my game isn't in my DS
It could possibly be that your cartridge is bootleg. Bootleg cartridges store save files in a different spot to where a legit cartridge would normally store it, which leads to complications when a DS cartridge attempts to connect through to it. This is also why bootleg Pokemon GBA cartridges can't be used to transfer Pokemon to a DS game; it cannot sense that there is even a game of any sort in the GBA slot, because it is looking at where the save file should be.

If you bought it from a legitimate retailer a long time ago then chances are your cartridge is fine. But otherwise, check things like if there is a little gold star "Nintendo Seal of Approval" on the label, if the label is not blurry and if the cartridge itself has the Nintendo logo on it. Also see if the colour of the cartridge plastic is any darker/lighter (usually darker in my experience) than other cartridges you have, and see if you can spot your label's exact artwork online on other people's copies. There can be a few different looks depending on region.
heck yeah chao :cool:
VileplumeGamer
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by VileplumeGamer »

Swate wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:00 am
VileplumeGamer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:11 pm i made a backup of my game, but i can't make a SAV? also my backup won't open in VBA
It could possibly be that your cartridge is bootleg. Bootleg cartridges store save files in a different spot to where a legit cartridge would normally store it, which leads to complications when a DS cartridge attempts to connect through to it. This is also why bootleg Pokemon GBA cartridges can't be used to transfer Pokemon to a DS game; it cannot sense that there is even a game of any sort in the GBA slot, because it is looking at where the save file should be.

If you bought it from a legitimate retailer a long time ago then chances are your cartridge is fine. But otherwise, check things like if there is a little gold star "Nintendo Seal of Approval" on the label, if the label is not blurry and if the cartridge itself has the Nintendo logo on it. Also see if the colour of the cartridge plastic is any darker/lighter (usually darker in my experience) than other cartridges you have, and see if you can spot your label's exact artwork online on other people's copies. There can be a few different looks depending on region.
the problem is, i am 99% sure my game is real because i bought it from a legit ebay seller, also if i try and do it with a game i bought from a local game store that DOES NOT sell fakes, it still doesn't work