Need Help with Chao Editor 2 for Dreamcast!

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
ElectricKoatHanger
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: #Kony2012

Need Help with Chao Editor 2 for Dreamcast!

Post by ElectricKoatHanger »

Every time I try to transfer a chao onto a VMU with Chao Editor 2 on it, it always says something along the lines of, "Can't download "Chao Adventure 2 onto the VMU, as this VMU has another game already downloaded onto it". So, basically, it keeps trying to download Chao Adventure 2 instead of just transferring the chao to Chao Editor 2.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Runasutaru
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Be the punching bag!

Re: Need Help with Chao Editor 2 for Dreamcast!

Post by Runasutaru »

Hello there!

I haven't personally run into this error, but the page from which you can download the editor, http://www.deco.franken.de/myfiles/editor2.html, may be of assistance. Despite not quite matching the description of your problem, this part in particular may be able to sort out the issue:
When you release a Chao into the Garden or try to upload a Chao into the editor and the LANGUAGE CODE setting doesn't match the selected language in Sonic Adventure 2, the game will always 'update' the VMU file by overwriting it with a version of Chao Adventure 2 that matches the language used in the game, thus destroying the editor. By selecting a matching Language Code, you can prevent this from happening.
Something else that comes to mind is the VMU's size. It's possible to expand the amount of data blocks available on a VMU by using VMUExplorer. If you have these extra blocks unlocked, it may be worth removing them and trying again, as I've found they can conflict with software that isn't expecting this data increase (Dream Explorer, for example).

If nothing works, please post a screenshot of your VMU's structure — it could help with diagnosing the issue.

I hope this helps!

------------------------------
EDIT: After some troubleshooting on Discord, it seems the issue being had by OP is unrelated to a bad procedure and won't be fixable for the time being. If you, thread visitor, are unsure on how to use Chao Editor 2, please try going through the steps below. Please check out Chao Editor 2's page, too. WARNING: If you have any Chao on the VMU, first boot the game and withdraw your Chao before you follow any of these steps!

1. You will need VMU Explorer for editing the contents of your VMU. You will also need Dream Explorer to play the VMU game (if emulating) or bridge your file transfers from PC to a physical Dreamcast (if I am not mistaken — I have only emulated this process);
2. Open VMU Explorer, select your VMU file, and delete any existing Chao Adventure 2 data on it;
3. Import Chao Editor 2 into the VMU through Import file > select the Editor's file (only the .dci one works for me. If it's not visible, click the bottom-right dropdown) > Open > Save VM > confirm;
------- If you want to edit the filler Chao the editor comes with, then skip straight to Step 6 -------
4. Boot SA2 and go into the Chao World;
5. Take out the filler Chao the editor comes with by default and put your own Chao in. Go to the lobby, save, and then turn off the game;
6. Boot Dream Explorer and run the VMU game. The editor should be gracing your eyes right now. To save your changes, return to the Starting Menu and choose SAVE DATA;
7. Turn off Dream Explorer, go back onto SA2, and withdraw your Chao!
Last edited by Runasutaru on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.