How do chao models work?

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
mothnox
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

How do chao models work?

Post by mothnox »

Specifically, in regards to how they change with gradual evolution. I've been looking around, but I can't find any information on how it works, and it'd be helpful to know for a project I'm working on.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been here. Old art is old.
Chao Recipes

Made:
Silver Chao:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39884
Cream Chao viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41342
Still Updating:
Bird of Paradise Chao: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39463
Future Projects:
Knuckles Chao
Tails Chao
Rouge Chao
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I don't know much myself, but it's my under standing that there are base models for each alignment of baby chao and then for every first evolution, including Chaos and Character Chao. No idea how the game modifies these to get the wide variety of gradual evolutions, though I know it's possible to hack a Chao to achieve evolutions beyond what's possible through normal game play. I also have no idea if hacking allows applying gradual evolution to the usually immutable Chaos and Character Chao.

I might be misremembering, but I think I once read somewhere(was probably either her or Sonic Retro) that Chao models are stored differently from other model data in the Adventure games.
mothnox
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Re: How do chao models work?

Post by mothnox »

Pretty sure I've figured it out (or at least something that's functionally very similar), so I'll post it here in case anyone else goes searching for this. From what I can tell, it's probably the same idea as shape keys in Blender. Here's a link if anyone's interested. Haven't looked into it too much, but I think it should be possible to export them to Unity as well.
Chao Recipes

Made:
Silver Chao:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39884
Cream Chao viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41342
Still Updating:
Bird of Paradise Chao: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39463
Future Projects:
Knuckles Chao
Tails Chao
Rouge Chao