Chao Garden Texture Editing - Green Patches?

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Eciton
Child Chao
Child Chao

Chao Garden Texture Editing - Green Patches?

Post by Eciton »

Hello all,

Googled around the internet for a bit but couldn't find information about this so thought I'd try here.
I'm trying to make my own texture mod for the Chao Garden, however I'm currently unsure how to get rid of these green patches that show up on the ground of the neutral garden. I'm guessing that it isn't an image (.dds) like the other texture files and is instead some other kind of file, but I just can't find where the game gets this from. Does anybody know what this is? And if so, what tools can I use to edit it? Thanks for any info :)

The texture for the ground is supposed to be sand, so the sandy colours are correct but the green patches are not
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Chao Garden Texture Editing - Green Patches?

Post by chaoadventures »

To my knowledge some models in SA2 have colors applied to the model themselves and the Chao Garden's grass is one of them.

I have very little experience with model editing though, so I can't help with removing them but it should be possible.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Eciton
Child Chao
Child Chao

Re: Chao Garden Texture Editing - Green Patches?

Post by Eciton »

chaoadventures wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:35 am To my knowledge some models in SA2 have colors applied to the model themselves and the Chao Garden's grass is one of them.

I have very little experience with model editing though, so I can't help with removing them but it should be possible.
Thanks for your input, I thought it might be something like that, anybody know how I might be able to edit this? I've seen other chao garden texture mods remove it so I know it can be done somehow haha

EDIT:

I thought I'd add that I've found a way to fix this issue! I wanted to write it here just in case somebody else has this issue.

I had a look through the files of other chao garden mods and through ChaoGardenBuster's Desert garden mod I discovered that well known modder Exant64 had created a .dll file that removes something called "Vertex Colors" which seems to be the colours attached to the garden model that do not appear in the normal texture files. Unfortunately I can't find a download link to the .dlls from Exant64 but if you download the desert garden mod or other mods using this .dll then you can copy them into your own mod by adding the .dll file into your mod folder as well as the line "DLLFile=VColorNeutGarden.dll" into the mod.txt file (use Dark or Hero garden .dll for those gardens) then it should work and remove the patches of colour. Image attached. Thank you ChaoGardenBuster and Exant64 for these contributions!