Inject Custom Chao into TCG ROM (.chao to .gba)

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 3 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
PlantedWave5190
Egg
Egg

Inject Custom Chao into TCG ROM (.chao to .gba)

Post by PlantedWave5190 »

Here's my idea for Chao hacking: Why not make a program capable of injecting a .chao file into a Tiny Chao Garden .gba multiboot ROM?
We can pick any Chao we want (as long as it's a .chao file) and inject it into one of the many different TCG ROMs.

Here's how the process goes:
1. Create a program capable of injecting a .chao file into a TCG .gba ROM

2. Pick any Chao from SADX/SA2B PC via Fusion's Chao Editor and export it as a .chao file.

3. inject said .chao file into any TCG ROM.
Make sure the ROM matches the region of your consoles and/or games, as Chao are region locked.

4. Use GBA Link Cable ROM Sender on softmodded GC/Wii and send injected Chao in TCG ROM into GBA connected via official OEM Nintendo cable in GC port 2.

5. Connect GBA to GC/Wii running SADX/SA2B and transport Chao from said GBA.

It can be any .chao file, as long as it isn't broken.
As for the TCG ROM, the ROM and minigames can variate between different GC games by Sonic Team.

Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (Plus) - Title screen, Janken minigame (JP, US, EU)
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - Janken minigame (JP, US, EU)
Sonic Adventure DX - Chao Search minigame (JP, US, EU)
Nintendo GameCube Software e-Catalog - Title screen, minigame unknown (Japan only)

No, TCG in Sonic Advance 1, 2 and Sonic Pinball Party on the GBA do not count. Only the multiboot versions of TCG will work.

Any questions? I'm all ears!
Last edited by PlantedWave5190 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Inject Custom Chao into TCG ROM (.chao to .gba)

Post by chaoadventures »

I like the idea but it also seems a tad convoluted?

I feel the biggest problem is it's specifically for people with GBA-GCN link cables (second biggest problem is figuring out how the TCG multiboots are built.)

It would be easier, more accessible, and more helpful I think if we just had a way to edit the Gamecube SA2B and SADX chao garden save files directly, because that would make it more useful for emulator users and physical players without link cables or GBAs, and I think we just know more about the chao garden save files.

Froody's save editor edits the console (and PC) saves directly (and import/exports .chao files) for SA2 I'm pretty sure but I haven't tried it myself.

Anyways the idea does sound nice, if not a little limited in usage by design (no TCG mini games from the physical GBA games). I like the thought of being able to get any downloadable TCG.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.