some observations I made about chao hidden stats (sonic adventure 2 battle pc)

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 3 years and 5 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
vegan
Egg
Egg

some observations I made about chao hidden stats (sonic adventure 2 battle pc)

Post by vegan »

hello everyone,

I was interested to see the effects that hidden stats have on chao behavior and I made some interesting observations that I don't think have been documented anywhere yet. here's everything I found so far:

Abuse:
All types of abuse (except for taking food away) increase anger/urge to cry/fear/surprise/dizziness by a (probably) random value between 50 and 150. The average increase for all stats is usually around 100 from one instance of abuse.

Taking food away by picking it up instantly increases a chao's anger and urge to cry values to the max of 200, with no other stats being affected. However, causing the chao to separate from the food by petting them, picking them up, or abusing them does not.

A chao's personality values do not seem to have any impact on the amount of points towards the negative emotions they gain from abuse. All chao I tested got values between 50 and 150, with an average of about 100.

Relax:
A chao's relax value will gradually increase to the maximum of 200 while you pet them, regardless of which character does it. After stopping, the value decreases to 9 over a few seconds.

The relax value instantly increases to 200 upon being picked up, even if the chao hates the character and squirms in their hands. Upon being let go, the relax value gradually decreases in small increments every few seconds.

Having a relax value above 9 makes it impossible for the emote ball to turn to a heart upon being pet or picked up. This means that the chao will not gain happiness, character bond, alignment, etc. from being pet or picked up with a relax value above 9.

Petting a chao and then stopping will always make the relax value decrease at a much faster rate than waiting for it to decrease naturally, such as after being let go at 200 relax. This makes rapid pets probably the most effective way to increase your bond with a chao.

When a chao's relax value has reached 9 after being pet, they will stop doing the "relaxed" expression (where they close their eyes and smile while sitting still) and do something else.

Boredom:
Upon deciding to watch chao tv (and given that the tv has not already been turned on), a chao loses about 5000 boredom. While watching, boredom does not further decrease, and in fact increases due to the natural background boredom increase.

Chao will not lose any boredom after deciding to watch TV if a chao other than themselves has already turned on the TV, and will still not lose any boredom while watching. I think this is probably a bug.

On deciding to chase the ball, boredom decreases by about 6000. Catching it decreases boredom by another 2000. However boredom will not go below 2000 from chasing the ball.

Energy/Tire:
Chasing the ball also increases Tire in increments of about 200-300 every few seconds, but does not affect the energy stat.

Swimming with no swimming skill will decrease energy by 6000 after a few seconds. If the chao is still swimming after another few seconds, it will go down to 0. This decrease in energy scales with how much swimming skill the chao has, higher skill = less energy loss.

Upon running out of energy, the chao will attempt to exit the water.

At 9500+ energy, chao will start going to the pool to swim. They do not seem to ever intentionally go swimming below 9500 energy, even if they have very good swim skill or are swim type.

Chao will accidentally go into the water quite often in the hero garden below 9500 energy, and they will only ever leave when they run completely out. Even if they have the tiniest amount of energy left, they will stay in the water.

Energy seems to be directly related to swimming, as I have not found any other way the value is relevant. I could be wrong, but I don't think chao behave any differently than normal at 0-9499 energy.

Miscellaneous:
Rocking a chao back and forth in your hands seems to have absolutely no impact on any of their stats.

Chao don't seem to do anything to lower their lonely stat, and player actions do not have an impact on it either. But there don't seem to be any negative effects even at maximum loneliness.

I could not find a way to increase stress or nourish.

playing with the jack in the box does not impact chao stats as far as I can tell, but I think they decide to play with it when they're bored. possibly another bug

I'll probably try some more stuff out soon and see what I can find. hopefully this information is useful to some of you. thanks for reading
Nostalgia Ninja
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao
Motto: Join the Wiki Team today!

Re: some observations I made about chao hidden stats (sonic adventure 2 battle pc)

Post by Nostalgia Ninja »

Hi, quick question about these observations, Does this apply to vanilla gameplay? if so what was your testing methodology what tools did you have a look with? I'd like to know to see if I can verify this information and do a writeup on the Wiki, if possible.
Join the Chao Island Wiki team today! All information and assistance is welcomed. :chaohappy: