Help! The Peridot egg never appears in the Tiny Chao Garden!

Use this area to post if you need something to do with the forum. Stuff regarding forum discussion will also be here.
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
DarkFlyFlyChao
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: I'll be your satellite!

Help! The Peridot egg never appears in the Tiny Chao Garden!

Post by DarkFlyFlyChao »

Hello everyone! :chaohappy:

Now, before I begin, I know, this topic has been covered before, but hear me out.

As you can see from the title, I have managed to collect 16000 rings in Sonic Pinball Party and I planned on buying a Peridot egg. The thing is... It doesn't appear. It just doesn't. I have been trying for 4 hours now and there's still no Peridot egg in my TCG!!! :darkno:

My questions are:

- Is it true that some Sonic Advance games will never have a certain jewel egg or is that a rumour? Has anyone of you looked into the code of this?

- I have read on the Chao wiki that the Topaz egg has the odds of 0.125% of appearing. I get the Topaz egg quite frequently. Do the games have different odds? Is it maybe dependant on something else entirely? And even if the odds are 0.125% of getting a Peridot egg, statistically speaking I should've seen it during the 4 hours of trying! Why doesn't it show up at all? How come someone else on this forum who made a post about the same topic had different odds for the eggs?

Answers are highly appreciated! :herosway:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image My Chao series http://bit.ly/1Y19722 Image
DarkFlyFlyChao
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: I'll be your satellite!

Re: Help! The Peridot egg never appears in the Tiny Chao Garden!

Post by DarkFlyFlyChao »

:omochao: UPDATE :omochao:
I FINALLY got the Peridot egg! :chaohappy:
So now, I tried to approach the problem more "scientifically"!
If my math is correct and if the odds are 0,125%, the chances of the egg appearing after 800 tries should be very high. I counted the tries. I got the egg after 202 tries!

I guess that I had been very unlucky yesterday...

This whole ordeal also tells us something. Maybe the odds of the egg appearing:
- Change by region (I am playing on a PAL game)
- Change by game (I'm playing Sonic Piinball Party)
- Change because of other factors that are currently unknown

It'd be very interesting to see the reason why the odds seem to be differently distributed. Maybe we have to change the information that is on this Chao wiki, respectively. It's an interesting find, too. If anyone found out anything new about it, let me know!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image My Chao series http://bit.ly/1Y19722 Image
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Sadly, to really know what's going on, you'd probably have to disassemble/decompile every game with a TCG and then siff through the result to find the code responsible for selecting the next egg. And even if the coded probabilities match the commonly published ones(though, in all fairness, they're probably coded in chances out of 256 instead of as percentages because computers), there might be some quirk in how the GBA Sonic games generate random numbers that makes the probabilities that actually show up different from the ones coded... And there might even be a quirk in the PRNG that, if known, could be manipulated to essentially stack the deck in favor of the target egg*.

*For example, for Golden Sun: The Lost Age, another GBA game, people figured out that the PRNG used for determining item drops in random encounters was actually based on number of actions performed in battle, reset to zero whenever the game was cold booted, and while the rarest drops required the battle to end with the PRNG at 1, it could be bumped up by using a Djinn to kill the enemy with the targeted drop, and as a result, what was meant to be a random process the player couldn't manipulate became a logic puzzle in how to kill a given group of enemies from a random encounter in an exact number of moves, and players of that game also figured out how to manipulate the PRNG used to determine what the in-game blacksmith would forge from a given piece of ore.

Of course, even the downloadable TCG would produce a lot of code to siff through if disassembled/decompiled, and as hard as reading another human's cod e can be, even with proper internal documentation, reading a computer's attempts at converting machine code back to some human readable is even harder, and there's no internal documentation at all.
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

Post by UltimaNumber »

Here's what I'm gathering from my tests. The odds ARE there, but to WHAT egg is random every time you boot up the Tiny Chao Garden. As for if the odds are correct, that I'm not sure. It does seem that Normal-Emerald are more common than Garnet-Onyx, and that one from each group just refuse to show up, especially in the rare group.

I'm trying to look up the odds and whatnot, but this is not something that can be done easily. GBA disassembly is too tough to read
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs