What's going to happen to CI

Use this area to post if you need something to do with the forum. Stuff regarding forum discussion will also be here.
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

What's going to happen to CI

Post by ChillyChao »

The site is inactive with very few active members and no posts for days sometimes, the more active users left with the off topic forum removal, and we have been promised some cool things that we haven't gotten yet.
Seriously, what is going to happen to Chao Island at this point.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: What's going to happen to CI

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

My predictions:
1. The main site will remain online for as long as Mooncow can be bothered to pay the server fees.
2. The forums will continue to languish with minimal activity, split about half-and-half between oldbies explaining Chao-related stuff to newbies and spam with the rare noteworthy post on something else.
3. Most of the socialization related to this site will take place via Discord or whatever the next big thing in modern social media is.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

Honestly, I'm willing to bet Chao Island will remain a thing until the internet gets shut down. Or the world ends. Or both.

As for the forums, they'll probably just remain as they are now, occasionally seeing some action but mostly being quiet. Seeing as though they pretty much constantly have about 100 guests viewing them, there will always be people reading the forums at the very least, but maybe that'll also hit an eventual decline.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^Well, it would probably take the end of the world as we know it to permanently take down the Internet. It is after all, one of the biggest, most redundant things humanity has ever built.

That said, unless Mooncow has put contingencies in place to ensure there's someone to continue paying for the site's upkeep after he's gone, I suspect Mooncow's eventual death will place a time limit on this place's continued existence. Fortunately, we've got a few decades before we have to worry about Mooncow dying of old age... less fortunately, given his lurking in the background style of administration, in the event of his untimely death, we might not know until it's too late to prevent the site from following him to the grave.

Over at twistypuzzles.com, the long time admin recently handed the reins over to a team of four trusted and highly respected community members in the hopes of avoid just such a situation... Admittedly, that community is much older on average(some of the regulars over there have been solving and/or designing puzzles longer than I've been alive).

Sorry if the post is a bit morbid, but I'm trying to be realistic about things, and for a fansite run by a single person, the site's existence is pretty much tied to that person being alive and able to pay the server bills.
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Post by Roaxes »

Most of the active members tend to be at the Discord rather then the forums nowadays. (Heck a lot of them haven't even used the forums tbh, they just use it as a way to gain access to the discord)
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog