A somewhat strange suggestion.

Have you spotted a mistake, error, or just want to improve Chao Island? Post it here!
Warning! This topic is 11 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

A somewhat strange suggestion.

Post by Rajikaru »

An "In my opinion" button.

When clicked, automatically puts "ᴵᴹᴼ" at the end of your post.

Might not be possible, but it'd still be a nice addition so people can make their posts less assertive in terms of opinions.

Example:
without button

Code: Select all

Game Grumps is by far one of the best youtube channels ever.
with button

Code: Select all

Game Grumps is by far one of the best youtube channels ever.ᴵᴹᴼ
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Twin
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Re: A somewhat strange suggestion.

Post by Twin »

wyatt i love you
yip yip
seaworld wrote:you WILL get WET
Mamkute
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Mamkute »

I feel like that 1) people should be less vindictive in all conversations, taking offense to something that is obviously, although not blatantly stated to be, in ones' opinion 2) should be able to add that on their own, if they feel it is necessary. Conversational easing, like the sarcasm tags, are not the job of the admin.

ᴵᴹᴼ
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

Or you could just type IMO and the end of your sentence using the keyboard/touchscreen.
Marnex
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by Marnex »

No, I hate it when people feel the need to slap on "imo" at the end of every sentence just to validate whatever stupid **** they just said or for the sake of stating the obvious for everyone else.

An opinion is pretty much always clearly implied depending on the subject and/or context. If you can't figure out what subjects and/or contexts an opinion would clearly always be implied in then you're dumb.
Nintendawg
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "With a big enough lever, I can move the world."
Location: My soul's in the 7th dimension, but my body is in Southern California.

Post by Nintendawg »

^This. It's very easy to tell. If it isn't fact, if it's something someone may agree/disagree with, then it's opinion.
Text my cell phone: 661-874-7568
Dropped by on March 21st, 2017 for nonstalgia's sake lmao.
Visited again on March 25th, 2021. Old friends...hope you are well.
Once more stopping by on January 17th, 2022.
Another visit on October 8th, 2023!
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

I think the suggestion is harmless. People that want to type IMO will do so anyway. All Nova wants to do is make that more convenient, which I have no personal qualms against. It's possible seeing that will be enough to appease certain posters so they aren't upset by what they're reading. For people that have difficulty writing extensive opinions a universal symbol like this may make them less afraid to voice it. I am uncertain if it would work or not: I only consider possibilities.

But I have a few additional thoughts that I think could also help realize that same goal (and these are for everyone's benefit):

There's a good and a bad way to express an opinion.

Underdeveloped opinions amount to a baseless assertion.

Example: I think this book is terrible because it has no substance.

This opinion is civilized and is seemingly innocent. That may be. But the volatility of an opinion does not instantly cease by using innocuous words. The depth of a statement is equally important. An opinion that lacks analysis, comparison and sometimes facts to support it is still an underdeveloped opinion that will probably rub another poster the wrong way. In the writing field we discard these opinions or consider them to be invalid. People respond better to developed opinions.

A developed opinion looks like this in comparison:

I think this is a terrible book. Many of the main characters are static characters. For example, despite Sally's best friend suffering a tragic accident, she does not change her attitude. Because characters experience little to no character growth in this story, it's difficult to determine what the theme is. Therefore, I think this book lacks substance.

I think posters should make their best effort to give their opinions a little more depth to encourage civilized discussion instead of altercations. This is what you want to do if you want to make an assertive opinion without looking pretentious.

If you don't want to look assertive, choose your words very carefully. Definitive things like "by far" or "the best" can be misleading even if you thought you were being fairly neutral.

I'll take the GameGrumps example.

Game Grumps is by far one of the best youtube channels ever.

This is probably meant to be a harmless statement. To be less assertive, qualify your opinion.

Game Grumps is by far one of the best youtube channels that I've seen.

Written like this you are establishing that to be one of the best channels to your knowledge and thus establishing ethos and a less assertive opinion.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

The people who react poorly to your opinions are going to react the same way whether you include the fact that it is your opinion or not. It won't make much of a difference. We'll still have people exploding at simple opinions.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
SkyGinge
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by SkyGinge »

^This, i'm afraid. Although I don't mind the suggestion. I'm just saying, it won't stop users from flipping out.
PM me if you have any piece of writing that you want reviewed, I'll do my best to help you out!

Funky stuff:
Deamon Elementia
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao

Post by Deamon Elementia »

Is it really that difficult to just type "IMO" manually? Besides, not all computers have the symbol pack to display them properly, resulting in character boxes.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

We shouldn't need this option. I'm not sure how your school system works, but I was already thought what an opinion was in the 5th grade. I was 8 back then, which is pretty much about the youngest user we've had here, even if we had younger, that still doesn't mean we should make an option just for those.

Besides, most people won't even use it. Why would I want to click a damn button that puts IMO behind my sentence if I could just type it manually, so I also don't have to interrupt my typing?

The rest is pretty much covered by Crazo.
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.