Sonic Adventure DC recipies

Wanna make a new Chao? Look in here for how to make various Chao, or post your own recipes!
Warning! This topic is 12 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Sonic Adventure DC recipies

Post by NixMaster »

Hey, ya'll. I'm a new member here, but I've been coming to this site for a long time for its massive collection of chao info.

In the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure, there are some chao that are unobtainable in the newer versions. One of the most important is the original black chao, which was replaced in later versions with a monotone black chao. This chao can be used to mate with the gold and silver chao to get special chao. I haven't seen this elsewhere yet (and I don't have a clue why), so I'll post what I've found.

Gold chao + Black chao = Bronze chao (looks much like a gold chao, only much darker)

Silver chao + Black chao = Onyx chao (this one you may have heard of. It's a shiny chao that's very dark in color.)

Keep in mind that these special chao were not given their own colored eggs. The Bronze seems to hatch from gold eggs. I don't remember what color of egg the Onyx comes from.

As of yet, I have not found any other recipes that work. If you know of any others, please post them here. I've heard rumors that some other jewel chao are obtainable through breeding somehow. But if it's true, I do not know how to get them yet.

Here are some pictures of the Onyx and Bronze Chao.
Spoiler:

The chao to the left is my black chao. To the right is his special little experiment. My computer monitor makes everything look dark, so I'm not sure how this picture looks to you.

Here's the same angle, but I changed the TV settings to make the onyx chao more distinguishable. He's so freakin' dark! :darkcool:
Spoiler:

And here's the Bronze Chao. I included the gold chao in the picture for comparison. This is the only moderately good picture I could get. I keep getting these annoying lines in the picture. :P

Notice the golden-orange wings they have? He's more than one color. Pretty cool, huh?
Last edited by NixMaster on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Yoshichao4
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Re: Sonic Adventure DC recipies

Post by Yoshichao4 »

Welcome to Chao Island!

Anyway, this seems interesting. I can't wait to see the pictures so I can compare the pictures to the ones on Chao Island.
Special thanks to Chowchow for the avatar!
Image<- It's Pikablu!!! Thanks to Wright for the pokefusion!
Image Chao recolor made by chaos121.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

Welcome to Chao Island. I hope you have read both the site and forum for information because a lot on the site has to be updated. Among that information is that the Black Chao from the Dreamcast has returned in the form of the Two-Tone Black Chao on the Gamecube and PC. It is often debated whether it is Two-Tone Black or Two-Tone Grey, but I have seen Two-Tone Black to match up best.

I've had an opportunity to play Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast and mating was something I wanted to test right away. From my experience, I could not mate two Chao to get a different result. I considered this information false after these tests. Did you do something different than what I did?

If you would like to take better quality pictures of your TV I would recommend making the room dark except for the TV's light and take a picture of it like that. It was a guide that Nintendo used to recommend to people who wanted to share their high scores with Nintendo Power Magazine.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

Crazo3077 wrote:Welcome to Chao Island. I hope you have read both the site and forum for information because a lot on the site has to be updated. Among that information is that the Black Chao from the Dreamcast has returned in the form of the Two-Tone Black Chao on the Gamecube and PC. It is often debated whether it is Two-Tone Black or Two-Tone Grey, but I have seen Two-Tone Black to match up best.

I've had an opportunity to play Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast and mating was something I wanted to test right away. From my experience, I could not mate two Chao to get a different result. I consider this information false after these tests. Did you do something different than what I did?

If you would like to take better quality pictures of your TV I would recommend making the room dark except for the TV's light and take a picture of it like that. It was a guide that Nintendo used to recommend to people who wanted to share their high scores with Nintendo Power Magazine.
Yeah, I've seen and heard about these black chao modern equivalents, but I don't believe they are the same. I'm not sure yet whether or not the newer monotone black chao can be used the same way to create these two chao, but I'm gonna try.

It took a ton of tries. I almost gave up before I finally found a special chao. When I wanted to get the result I was looking for, I put my black chao and gold or silver chao in a different memory card to separate them from my other chao. This way I wouldn't have to take care of my other chao while breeding. I also deleted every failed attempt. It's time consuming trying to get the Bronze and Onyx chao, but I can assure you they exist. I've got a few of them in my garden.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that out. Maybe tonight, after it gets dark.

EDIT: Of course, breeding in this game can only be done by connecting VMU's with Chao in them. (The heart fruit only heals HP in this game.) If you have an extra VMU, dump all of your eggs in a chao in its chao garden. Then delete chao data when you run out of room and start again. Even if you're not worried about your other chao, this should speed up the process.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

The graphics may be different to some degree, but not by much. I would hardly call them equivalents because they are practically the same.

See, the reason I don't believe this is because of how I understand genetics to work with Chao. On Dreamcast it seems to work as if everything has a fifty/fifty chance of resulting in one or the other parents. This was confirmed when I tested it. On Gamecube and PC, Chao work on four different variables: Color, Tone, Jewel_Coat, and Shininess. These factors combine to determine how a Chao looks. Normal Chao are Two-Tone Chao and Jewel Chao are Normal Chao with a special coat over their body. The Black Chao from Dreamcast is a Two-Tone Black Chao, so all of the Chao on Dreamcast should be Two-Tone Chao. This means that Jewel Coats still cover over Tone, but has a 50% rate of success instead of a 100% rate. The likelihood of this really happening doesn't make sense to me.
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

Crazo3077 wrote:The graphics may be different to some degree, but not by much. I would hardly call them equivalents because they are practically the same.

See, the reason I don't believe this is because of how I understand genetics to work with Chao. On Dreamcast it seems to work as if everything has a fifty/fifty chance of resulting in one or the other parents. This was confirmed when I tested it. On Gamecube and PC, Chao work on four different variables: Color, Tone, Jewel_Coat, and Shininess. These factors combine to determine how a Chao looks. Normal Chao are Two-Tone Chao and Jewel Chao are Normal Chao with a special coat over their body. The Black Chao from Dreamcast is a Two-Tone Black Chao, so all of the Chao on Dreamcast should be Two-Tone Chao. This means that Jewel Coats still cover over Tone, but has a 50% rate of success instead of a 100% rate. The likelihood of this really happening doesn't make sense to me.
Hmm. Well, I have them, so I know they exist. If what you say is true, then I'm not sure why they are so rare. All I know is I kept on trying and eventually found something different. If you try it, I'm sure it'll work too.

A little off topic, here's something I noticed when comparing the DC game to its GC port. The gold chao in the DC version looks more like the shiny brown chao of the GC. GC's gold chao looks more like the bronze, but it's not quite dark enough.

I've never seen an onyx chao, or anything like it, in the GC version. The shiny black looks grey to me. The onyx in the DC is very black.
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

Wait, are you saying that when two differently chao mate, then what color you get is based on 50% chance? Like, if I mix a gold and a normal, I'll have 50% chance for a baby gold?

If so, I don't think the same applies for special breeding. You say you haven't found any special jewel chao via breeding, right? Then you don't know how that factors in yet. From what I've experienced, it seems like the black chao in the Dreamcast version is a catalyst for creating new chao. With it, I got both bronze and onyx chao.

Breeding gold and silver hasn't yielded similar results. And normal chao seem to be useless when it comes to breeding. As for the bronze or onyx chao, I haven't found any newly colored offspring from them either.

Actually, I remember now that I wasted a lot of time trying to breed gold and silver together. It may not take as long as I first thought to get bronze or onyx.

EDIT: I want to avoid triple posting, so I edited in some pictures in the OP.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

From my tests with mating on Dreamcast it has appeared to be a fifty/fifty chance when mating any of the four Chao with a different. Chao. I am unsure if they just become that breed or if they can retain the other parent's data.

Your results do not make sense. Even if the Jewel Coat functioned like a Shininess you shouldn't be able to obtain an Onyx Chao. The fact that I had not found an Onyx Chao means that they shouldn't be available in that game. I highly doubt that there is a low percentage rate of getting such a Chao. It doesn't make sense.
Yoshichao4
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Yoshichao4 »

This is an Onyx Chao.
NixMaster wrote:
Spoiler:
And this is the Chao that NixMaster got.

It MIGHT be an Onyx Chao, but I am not quite sure.
Special thanks to Chowchow for the avatar!
Image<- It's Pikablu!!! Thanks to Wright for the pokefusion!
Image Chao recolor made by chaos121.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

Whether it really is an Onyx Chao isn't the point, Yoshichao4. The point is that he shouldn't be able to breed a Silver Chao with a Two-Tone Black Chao and get that result.
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

But I did. And as soon as I get some batteries for my VMU's, I'll start breeding for a bronze. (This time I'll count how many attempts it takes me to get it.)

I really don't have the skills to hack my Dreamcast, or even to edit a picture to make it look convincing.

Is anyone else willing to test this out so they can confirm this?
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

I would test it but I can't get to a Dreamcast at the time and my attempts to use emulators has resulted in them angering me.

What method are you using to test it and count it? Please explain the process you plan on using so I have a better visual idea of what you are doing.
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

Crazo3077 wrote:I would test it but I can't get to a Dreamcast at the time and my attempts to use emulators has resulted in them angering me.

What method are you using to test it and count it? Please explain the process you plan on using so I have a better visual idea of what you are doing.
Well, I didn't really use a very scientific method the first time, because I really didn't expect it to work. I'll try to copy down every detail I can this time.

My black, gold, and silver chao are all first generation chao, so they don't have parents (not that it should make a difference). I'm not sure what their stats are right now, but I'll copy that down too. I will also count how many failed attempts I have until I find a bronze, and depending on how much patience I have and how long it takes, I may repeat it a few times to get a more accurate idea of the odds.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

Allow me to suggest a more careful and accurate form of testing this method.

Step 1: Obtain your two Parent Generation Chao. Make sure they are from the Adventure Field. (This step you've already talked about, which is good.)

Step 2: Give these Chao a few animals to make them stand out.

Step 3: Clear the chosen breeding garden of all Chao except for the two used for the test. (Though in Dreamcast cases, the entire memory card.)

Step 4: Wait until adulthood and prepare five heart fruits. (Unless you plan on waiting for mating season.)

Step 5: Mate the Chao five times to get five Chao.

Step 6: Record each result by keeping a tally of how often a result comes up.

Step 7: Repeat steps five and six until you get the result you want.

Step 8: Take the total of recorded offspring and put it under one to create a fraction that is a rough estimate of how often this should occur. (Or turn it into a percentage.)

Step 9: Continue this test to create more fractions and get a better idea of how often it occurs.

This is more-or-less the same method I use when testing Chao combinations and how I proved various facts about breeding Chao on Gamecube. The only difference is that on Gamecube both Chao need a Heart Fruit to mate while on Dreamcast only one of them needs to mate. Hopefully this shall shed some light on the situation.
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

Crazo3077 wrote:Allow me to suggest a more careful and accurate form of testing this method.

Step 1: Obtain your two Parent Generation Chao. Make sure they are from the Adventure Field. (This step you've already talked about, which is good.)

Step 2: Give these Chao a few animals to make them stand out.

Step 3: Clear the chosen breeding garden of all Chao except for the two used for the test. (Though in Dreamcast cases, the entire memory card.)

Step 4: Wait until adulthood and prepare five heart fruits. (Unless you plan on waiting for mating season.)

Step 5: Mate the Chao five times to get five Chao.

Step 6: Record each result by keeping a tally of how often a result comes up.

Step 7: Repeat steps five and six until you get the result you want.

Step 8: Take the total of recorded offspring and put it under one to create a fraction that is a rough estimate of how often this should occur. (Or turn it into a percentage.)

Step 9: Continue this test to create more fractions and get a better idea of how often it occurs.

This is more-or-less the same method I use when testing Chao combinations and how I proved various facts about breeding Chao on Gamecube. The only difference is that on Gamecube both Chao need a Heart Fruit to mate while on Dreamcast only one of them needs to mate. Hopefully this shall shed some light on the situation.
I didn't think chao could mate while in the garden. And with a Heart Fruit? Don't they just recover HP in this game? That was my impression of it, anyway.

I have an extra VMU with nothing in the gardens but gold and silver chao from previous attempts. I'll use it to put my chao children in.

They're all adults already, and they have animal parts, but I don't think I'll be losing them in the piles of babies. Also, I'll track any changes in their stats, as I will likely be raising them still as I'm mating them. Anything that may or may not be relevant, I'll try to keep track of.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

It sounds like you've never used fruit outside of the VMU. That is surprising.

Stats are completely unimportant when testing Chao Breeds, so don't mind them. All that matters is the genes and the results.
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

Crazo3077 wrote:It sounds like you've never used fruit outside of the VMU. That is surprising.

Stats are completely unimportant when testing Chao Breeds, so don't mind them. All that matters is the genes and the results.
I have taken some fruits out of my VMU before, but I went a long time without even knowing I could. I typically just feed my chao while it's still in the VMU. But if your way works, the heart fruit are a little rare in the game, so it might take longer. I remember just breeding through the VMU's anyway. I never even took the parents out until I was done.

If you don't think the stats matter, then I might not record them, but I like to be thorough. We might discover something strange, like maybe that having higher stats increases your odds or something. Most likely not, but we'll see.
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

So I got some batteries and put my Black and Gold Chao in my VMU's. And on my very first try, I got a Bronze! (Picture in OP)

I'm still going to continue so I can see how likely this is to happen. In this case, the VMU with the black chao had an egg in it that appeared like a Golden Egg. But a Bronze hatched from it. The other VMU had a Black Egg.

If it's this easy to get a bronze, then it shouldn't be too much of a chore for somebody else with access to a Dreamcast to confirm this.

EDIT: Second set, also had a Bronze, and in the same card too. The other got a Black Egg again. I'm sensing a pattern.

EDIT AGAIN: Well, I mated my chao eight times and got some interesting results. I even got a couple normal colored chao. My gardens are full now, so I think I'll pause here for a while. Here's the data I collected:

In Card 1, I used my Black Chao Baron, a normal type (even though I tried to make him power). In Card 2 was my Gold Chao Gyro, a Swim type. Each time I connected I would get a pair of chao.

1st pair
---Bronze (Card 1)
---Black (Card 2)
2nd
---Bronze
---Black
3rd
---Black
---Black
4th
---Black
---Gold
5th
---Black
---Normal
6th
---Bronze
---Black
7th
---Bronze
---Normal
8th
---Black
---Bronze

Statistics:
---Black 8/16 (50%)
---Bronze 5/16 (~31%)
---Normal 2/16 (~13%)
---Gold 1/16 (~6%)

It's still a little early to be making assumptions, but it seems like black is the most common result, followed by Bronze. The other two are rare.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Crazo3077 »

Maybe the issue is that these combinations are results of the VMU only and not be obtained mating it on the console. Could you try tests on the Dreamcast instead of on the VMU?
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

Crazo3077 wrote:Maybe the issue is that these combinations are results of the VMU only and not be obtained mating it on the console. Could you try tests on the Dreamcast instead of on the VMU?
I can try. It takes a while just to get even one heart fruit, though.

Oooooo! What if you can get different combinations depending on where you mate them from? Nah. Probably not.
Tayrtahn
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Tayrtahn »

I've done a bit of breeding between Gold, Silver, and Black chao in the Dreamcast version of SA2. I have yet to get a bronze or onyx chao. BUT, I've been doing all of the breeding in the gardens (VMU batteries are so expensive!). I strongly suspect that the location (garden or VMU) of the breeding is the deciding factor here. I've heard mention of these in a few guides (unreliable, I know) and a few of them point out that you should do the mating on the VMUs. That's certainly not proof, but it's a bit of supporting evidence.

Given how quickly the batteries in a VMU die, it doesn't surprise me that very few people would have seen these chao.

I may make a trip to Radioshack and pick up some of those batteries again. I'll let you know.
Saz
Skilled Chao
Skilled Chao

Post by Saz »

This seems interesting, whn i get another memory card I will look into this.
ImageImage Is My Type Image Is My Attitude~
~Credit to NCC for this awesome banner, Saz(andora) is my name it comes from the words three and dragon. I am Saz™ on hatena OFTo~
#5816 User of Lemoy Mamoswine
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

Tayrtahn wrote:I've done a bit of breeding between Gold, Silver, and Black chao in the Dreamcast version of SA2. I have yet to get a bronze or onyx chao. BUT, I've been doing all of the breeding in the gardens (VMU batteries are so expensive!). I strongly suspect that the location (garden or VMU) of the breeding is the deciding factor here. I've heard mention of these in a few guides (unreliable, I know) and a few of them point out that you should do the mating on the VMUs. That's certainly not proof, but it's a bit of supporting evidence.

Given how quickly the batteries in a VMU die, it doesn't surprise me that very few people would have seen these chao.

I may make a trip to Radioshack and pick up some of those batteries again. I'll let you know.
Well, I was using Sonic Adventure (Chao Adventure), not the sequel. It may not work in SA2.

I've never been able to transfer Gold, Silver, and Black chao in SA2. As I mentioned in another thread, I've tried transferring the special chao from SA via the VMU, but it has always resulted in corrupting my chao file due to an "illegal color mode."

I haven't tried breeding my chao in the garden yet. But I'm planning on giving it a shot to see if it works.
Tayrtahn
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Tayrtahn »

The Chao transfer certainly is strange. Maybe it's a regional thing, or something to do with different versions/builds of the games. -shrug-

I've never had the corruption issue with my setup, but even then it's still funky! I put an unhatched egg onto a VMU in SA and took it out in SA2, and the game had automatically assigned the chao inside the name "DUMMY". I know that it probably means it in the sense of "placeholder", but it still sounds a bit mean!

But yeah, I'll have to experiment with this stuff in both SA and SA2 once I get some new batteries.
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

Tayrtahn wrote:The Chao transfer certainly is strange. Maybe it's a regional thing, or something to do with different versions/builds of the games. -shrug-

I've never had the corruption issue with my setup, but even then it's still funky! I put an unhatched egg onto a VMU in SA and took it out in SA2, and the game had automatically assigned the chao inside the name "DUMMY". I know that it probably means it in the sense of "placeholder", but it still sounds a bit mean!

But yeah, I'll have to experiment with this stuff in both SA and SA2 once I get some new batteries.
I got some "dummy" chao before. I forgot how to get them. Don't they disappear if you leave?

I also wonder whys Onyx Chao exist in modern games as Jewel Chao, but Bronze no longer exist.