So I bought one of the 2003 GameCube Catalog discs...

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 5 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Re: So I bought one of the 2003 GameCube Catalog discs...

Post by Crazo3077 »

If you do find a means of adjusting the language, high quality screenshots would be great. Even if a legit transfer is impossible, being able to archive how it works for the Japanese would at least be noteworthy content for the site.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Air Conditioner
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Air Conditioner »

I was able to convert this .tgc file found in the 2003 disc into a .iso so now I have a .iso that is JUST the transfer software and none of the catalog itself. I'm going to begin work on translating the software as well.

What I just mentioned about the conversion of .tgc to .iso is a really really big step forward and it's very promising because it contains several files named identically as several files found in the SA2B and SADX .isos meaning I just need to compare the two and find which values deal with the region ( I believe I already know :cool: )

Apparently .tgc is a file format used by the GC to run a game within a game much like the Zelda Collectors edition in how to boots ROMs of the zelda games. the Zelda games that did this even used .tgc files so it was simply a matter of using the converter people use for the Zelda games to hack their ROMs... you get the jist.

One extremely interesting thing about this disc though is it seems to just be a GC html loader "emulating" a webpage. Almost every single menu and file from the disc can be opened in browser. And actually clicked on etc.

I can open the trasnfer software containing the chao completely independently from the 2003 catalog disc which is neat.

MY GOALS CURRENTLY IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE:
>Convert the .tgc from JAP to USA
>Thus creating a .tgc that will allow tranfer of the Character Chao to USA rather than JAP
>Convert the new USA .tgc into a .iso to be used independently
>Inject the USA .tgc back into the catalog disc .iso
>Upload both .isos for people to use
>Translate the chao transfer .iso/tgc
>Translate the catalog disc menu etc.
>upload finished stuff
>Goof around with anything else I find in the .tgc and catalog disc
>???
>Proft

I think I've pretty much cracked it I'm just so tired ;-; I'm going to sleep today but I'll keep working on it as I have time

More to come this week

You people can finally remove every sentence that says "no other means of obtaining these chao"

-Air Conditioner
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

The offline website with links to launchers structure actually makes a lot of sense from what I understand the Catalog Disc to be. Assuming such catalog discs were sent out periodically, I wouldn't be surprised if they all used the same browser and replaced individual files as needed to change the content.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Air Conditioner wrote: One extremely interesting thing about this disc though is it seems to just be a GC html loader "emulating" a webpage. Almost every single menu and file from the disc can be opened in browser. And actually clicked on etc.
Heh. That makes sense. I did find that mouse pointer kinda weird.

I attempted to download the Chao from my Wii. Unfortunately, my GC-to-GBA link cable doesn't exactly have a history of working
very recently (or my GBA SP for that matter), so I'd didn't get to download it, let alone try downloading it to my copy of Sonic Advance 2.

Also, is it just me or is the punching animation the Knuckles Chao has when selected unused in the actual games?
Or do Knuckles Chao actually do that in the gardens?

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
DarkyBenji
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher
Motto: An Artist that is also a Modder

Post by DarkyBenji »

chaoadventures wrote:
Air Conditioner wrote: One extremely interesting thing about this disc though is it seems to just be a GC html loader "emulating" a webpage. Almost every single menu and file from the disc can be opened in browser. And actually clicked on etc.
Heh. That makes sense. I did find that mouse pointer kinda weird.

I attempted to download the Chao from my Wii. Unfortunately, my GC-to-GBA link cable doesn't exactly have a history of working
very recently (or my GBA SP for that matter), so I'd didn't get to download it, let alone try downloading it to my copy of Sonic Advance 2.

Also, is it just me or is the punching animation the Knuckles Chao has when selected unused in the actual games?
Or do Knuckles Chao actually do that in the gardens?

indeed the Knuckles chao actually use a animation that can't be done in the chao garden, (except if a load the animation myself)

fact, i should call that a "old" animation cause this animation was used in Sonic adventure Dreamcast version
───────────────────────────────────────────────────
YoutubeOther ModsDeviantArt Image
Air Conditioner
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Sorry for no updates but no time=no progress :/

Schooling & life are two very time consuming things. I hope to work on it tomorrow. Thanks for being patient guys!
Air Conditioner
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

:/ still haven't had anytime to work on this. My goal is to work on this thursday and sunday of this current week. Thanks for the patience.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

Your diligence is appreciated
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Air Conditioner
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Did some work on this today. I believe I've converted the file that contains the exclusive chao to function with a USA copy of SA2B. I'll keep mess around with it. I also don't have my SADX ISO on this PC so I want to do some file comparisons with some of SADX as well, luckily I'm almost home. (On my laptop in the car lol)
Rinku
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: I like making friends :3

Post by Rinku »

I'm hype, it would be really cool to transfer the character chao legit with the screen and everything instead of just downloading the chao file and importing it.

This has been by far the best sa2b discovery I've every seen and I'm happy there is still work to be done on it. Gl today!
Rinku's personal Discord - http://rinkutalks.pro/image/dcover.png
🔥 Twitch Livestream - http://www.twitch.tv/rinkutalks (◡‿◡✿)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Twitter - https://twitter.com/RinkuTalks
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

This is really great work, thanks for sharing the information and the disk! Great work DarkyBenji too with the .chao file!
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

Thanks for your hard work in bringing us this information about the character chao. I wanted to let you know that I've just added in the character chao files to my Chao Editor program, to make it easier for people to make use of them. I've given credit to both Air Conditioner and DarkyBenji for this in my forum post, on my website, and in the readme file included with the program. Thanks!
Air Conditioner
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

I'm still picking at this. It seems to be something more than what I thought it was to change the region of the character chaos. Any help would be appreciated a ton of anyone has messed around with hacking hex values etc.
pinta77
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Check out my YouTube
Location: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfEZGE ... WVMUMr6k7w

Post by pinta77 »

Just found out about this... might wanna try it in the future, but I need a lot of stuff to make it work...
pinta77
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by pinta77 »

Just got the catalog disc. Now I'm waiting for Japan import of sonic adventure dx. Soldered the R5 points in my gamecube together... now I'm ready to get these chao!
pinta77
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by pinta77 »

Put together this video. Was very fun, and got some interesting things to look at. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkJue0UfBvM
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Know both sides of the story before you assume.

Post by ChaoGardenBuster »

Really cool video! We needed some footage of this anyways so thanks!
pinta77
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by pinta77 »

ChaoGardenBuster wrote:Really cool video! We needed some footage of this anyways so thanks!
Air Conditioner
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

So no one else bothers buying these, I bought these two other Demo discs and they had no chao content, so disreguard them for chao related stuff as far as I know. There was a Viewtiful Joe, Final Fantasy, and Naruto demo available across both discs though. If anyone else has info about other demo discs of interest, let me know!

Also, for everyones peace of mind, I didn't just blip through the menus on console. I dumped them on my Wii and checked every directory of the discs on my PC with GC ISO Tool.
SuperrSonic
Egg
Egg

Post by SuperrSonic »

Having a way to transfer these chao officially has always appealed to me; without having to actually get into pso, but shame on me I've only recently found out this was a thing! :herosway:

I wrote a guide to make it compatible with any region. You only need a small cheat code to update the region. But what I really wanted to do is make the patched game image available for dl, that way the user simply loads the 8 MB iso with nintendont, DML, or any kind of loader really, skipping the tedious process of downloading the 1GB file and figuring out how to deal with gecko codes.

The guide also includes a way to change the language of any TCG rom. I am not up-to-date on this, if people already know how to do this, I could also include a pack of the Chao Search TCG ROMs with the various languages patched in.

I skimmed through the rules but didn't find anything related to copyrighted stuff. If it's OK to post and there's still interest let me know.
Aringon
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by Aringon »

I was recently linked to this thread and noticed the solution to modding the iso to work with USA or Europe copies of Sonic Adventure was never mentioned. If any of you have the Catalog iso or the Sonic Team Joy Carry iso which can be found as a part of the catalog iso the solution is rather simple.

Open your iso up in HxD or some other hex editing program

Search for GSBJGSBEGSBPASOJASOEASOP

Replace with GSBEGSBJGSBPASOEASOJASOP for USA compatibility
or
Replace with GSBPGSBEGSBJASOPASOEASOJ for Europe compatibility

Save changes

Enjoy character chao on whatever region of Sonic Adventure that you please. No action replay/gecko codes required.