If chao were real creatures, what would you do with them?

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 2 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
naruto_chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

If chao were real creatures, what would you do with them?

Post by naruto_chao »

For our little "what if" scenario, Chao are real beings that are adopted by humans and raised like in the games, however, since they are real, and Dr. Robotnik's robots are not, chaos drives are sold at like, Lowe's or something. I'm completely at a loss for the small animals though.

Anyway, what would you do with them? Since they would be real, there are no restrictions like in the games, so you could do whatever you want.

Personally, I would try to teach my chao how to speak, and I would probably play video games with it. What about you?
hey there! I don't have anything to put here for the moment, you can just move along now.
ZipoCXG
Chao Artist
Chao Artist
Motto: Well have you had curry?

Re: If chao were real creatures, what would you do with them

Post by ZipoCXG »

I'd probably allow my chao to hang out with me where ever I go like how Cheese does with Cream. Aside from that, probably just the generic caring stuff.
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Post by EvilPinkamina »

Depends on how big it is. If they're, like, Sonic X anime size idk. If they're SA2 size tho, Chao Fight Club under the guise of "Chao Karate"
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

If I have two, I can breed and sell them just I like I do with all my other animals. I think the Chao would fit in pretty well on the farm; keeping them contained might be a little problematic since they can learn how to fly, but turkeys are like that too and people can still hold on to them.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jack the Person
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: Life is forever and only a moment.

Post by Jack the Person »

I have always thought that I would keep a Chao in a large, glass, fish tank like box, with a lot less water of course... That sounds a lot harsher than I thought...
The box would be openable to care for the Chao and probably there for my safety as just about every pet I've ever owned has tried to kill me.
I am a horrible person

Also, how long would they live? Considering there's no magic time freeze effect like the gardens in SA, wouldn't they only live, like a day?

Actually, scratch that whole glass box idea, I'd probably let them roam around my house and treat them as if they were a young child, and keep the windows shut.
I am a boring person
What, Christmas ended? Whatever, I'm leaving the decorations up!

I'm also selling a Heart Fruit, I thought buying the last would make it more valuable and increase the demand, it didn't.
Anyway it's still sold out and I'm still selling! Buy It!
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

^I'd assume that, if Chao existed in real life, they would have a normal life-span of about 5 calendar years, so shorter than dogs or cats, but longer than things like mice, hamsters, and gerbils.

That said, I would hope their skin has a texture similar to hairless human skin and that they are warm blooded. If so, I'd have one curl up in my lap while I pet in much the way and evil overloard might pet his feline companion. Then again, Chao appear to be amphibious or reptilian if not invertebrates, so they're probably cold-blooded and wouldn't be warm to the touch if you cuddled one.
naruto_chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by naruto_chao »

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:^I'd assume that, if Chao existed in real life, they would have a normal life-span of about 5 calendar years, so shorter than dogs or cats, but longer than things like mice, hamsters, and gerbils.

That said, I would hope their skin has a texture similar to hairless human skin and that they are warm blooded. If so, I'd have one curl up in my lap while I pet in much the way and evil overloard might pet his feline companion. Then again, Chao appear to be amphibious or reptilian if not invertebrates, so they're probably cold-blooded and wouldn't be warm to the touch if you cuddled one.
I'd imagine they'd feel similar to human babies, just much jigglier and with magic metamorphosis powers or something.

Actually, I wanna tickle a chao. I think that would be the cutest thing ever.
hey there! I don't have anything to put here for the moment, you can just move along now.
Zeekchaos
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Chao are awesome!

Post by Zeekchaos »

Does no-one seriously remember that chao REINCARNATE? Also, what about the Chaos drive glitch? would that be in effect?
The Gardens are the seven Chao. Chao is luck. Luck is enriched by the Chaos Drive. The Kindergarten serves to unify the Chao.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

If Chao and Chaos Drives existed in real-life, I would imagine the interaction working something like:
Chao can grow stronger in a particular area by absorbing energy from Chaos Drives, but a Chaos Drive contains far more energy than a Chao can absorb at one time. Instead of completely draining the energy from 4 or 5 drives and suddenly getting a boost in a stat, it would probably be more along the lines of a Chao spends an significant amount of time in the presence of a Chaos drive and their abilities gradually grow at a rate faster than what can be attributed to the Chao's normal physical activity with it taking years to fully drain a Chaos Drive. Granted, for full effect, the Chao might need to actually hold the drive for several minutes a day or have it incorporated into a collar or harness.
JHock115
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: START DA BUS!

Post by JHock115 »

What about chao absorbing animal traits and gaining animal parts? Would that be a thing too?

If I were to have a chao, I would probably just care for it like anyone else would. I'd let it hang out with me kinda like cheese with cream and maybe if chao races were real too then I'd train it to race.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

If Chao could mimic animal traits, I don't think people would realistically be able to control these traits the way we do ingame. I mean, gathering tiny lions and tigers and bears (oh my) isn't very practical in the real world. If the Chao live on farms or in pet shops they could be exposed to other animals, but the selection is limited and it's hard to guess how these animals would react to being around Chao. Plus there's no realistic way to measure a Chao's stats outside a video game, so the value of trying to increase those stats in anything but a very general way is questionable. Though I guess wanting to change your Chao cosmetically would make exposing them to animals worth the effort, since at least you can see those changes as they happen.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Jack the Person
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Zeekchaos wrote:Does no-one seriously remember that chao REINCARNATE?
Jack the Person wrote:Wouldn't they only live, like a day?
Actually, I did remember that, just that within a day, 30% spent sleeping, 40% spent working, 10% spent eating , 10% spent doing other stuff.
That leaves just 10% or about 3 hours of our day to look after our Chao considering there's nothing else to do. They would probably be lonely, cry, get hungry and die.
Okay, that was a bit blunt.

Think about this how would we look after our Chao when we're in work / school? Would we just drop them off at the Chao Kindergarten, or just leave them in a glass box at our homes?

Considering how if they go more than 20 minutes without food they throw a temper tantrum. Or considering how they may live 5 calendar years, which is 1460 times longer than 30 hours, would all the other stuff also be raised by this? So they'd need to be fed every 20 days... What?

Maybe I thinking too much in a biological sense rather than a fictional scene. Am I overthinking it?
Zeekchaos wrote:Would the Chaos Drive glitch be in effect?
No. You can't 'Glitch' real life, the glitch is based on a fault with the code, real life is (Hopefully) not made up of code (Unless, we're in the Matrix, Mr. Anderson).

I'm also selling a Heart Fruit, I thought buying the last would make it more valuable and increase the demand, it didn't.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Even in game, Chao are quite a bit more self sufficient than that, being more than capable of getting food from the Garden trees of their own accord and only feeling neglected if you refuse to pick one up when it comes up to you and makes the "pick me up" gesture, which can be avoided by simply standing in the water. I use to leave my Gamecube unattended for hours on end with my character standing in the water to help age my chao and don't recall any ill-effects.

Realistically, once they reach a certain level of development, you could leave a Chao for hours at a time with access to a food/water bowl and a litterbox or something similiar with little issue, much like with Dogs or Cats. Granted, all evidence suggest that Chao are primarily Herbivorous whereas Dogs and Cats are primarily carnivores, so you would be leaving something quite different in their food bowl.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

So I'm the only one who would be trying to mutate Chao to create the next Chaos that will obey my commands and serve me always >_>
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Jack the Person
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Even in game, Chao are quite a bit more self sufficient than that, being more than capable of getting food from the Garden trees of their own accord and only feeling neglected if you refuse to pick one up when it comes up to you and makes the "pick me up" gesture, which can be avoided by simply standing in the water. I use to leave my Gamecube unattended for hours on end with my character standing in the water to help age my chao and don't recall any ill-effects.

Realistically, once they reach a certain level of development, you could leave a Chao for hours at a time with access to a food/water bowl and a litterbox or something similiar with little issue, much like with Dogs or Cats. Granted, all evidence suggest that Chao are primarily Herbivorous whereas Dogs and Cats are primarily carnivores, so you would be leaving something quite different in their food bowl.
Oh yeah... Forgot about that, not so sure about the litter box thing though. Have you ever seen a Chao, ahem, "Excrete"
The feeling loney part is an interesting feature that would probably occur in our "What if" scenario as their isn't the limited personality and action like in the games, if you were left alone in a house for 90% of your life, odds are you'd probably get lonely too. Luckily, they don't live "Like, a day" so you'd get to "Bond" with them on weekends and the few weeks of holidays you get.
I would probably get some sort of system to drop fruit or maybe some lumpy mashed up fruit liquid into the food bowl, otherwise it'd all be gone before you step out the door, they can eat fruit almost bigger than them non-stop yet not gain a pound or, ahem, "Excrete". What is their secret.

I'm going to sound like a fool if you don't know what "excrete" means.
Mooncow wrote:So I'm the only one who would be trying to mutate Chao to create the next Chaos that will obey my commands and serve me always >_>
The only one: No
The only one this lifetime: Yes

Not really humane is it.
And I think you may be forgetting the end of SA1. Actually, where did all that water go afterwards, considering the entire city was flooded and sea levels rose (Presumably Globally) does this mean SA1 was actually the apocalypse?

Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I'm pretty sure the fruits in-game are exaggerated in size because an apple or orange shown at actual scale would be no bigger than the emotion ball in its ball shape. Fruit shrinking instead of having bites taken out of them is something else I'd chock up to the graphics putting easy to see above realism. A small can of fruit cocktail would probably qualify as a large meal for a typical Chao.

As for the lack of excrement, I'm just going to assume Sonic Team didn't think making the player pick-up virtual poop would be fun(and I know first hand that cleaning a litter box is the most unpleasant aspect of having indoor cats). That said, since that part of every organism's biology was omitted in-game, we really have no idea what would be typical toilet behavior for chao.
Jack the Person
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:I'm pretty sure the fruits in-game are exaggerated in size because an apple or orange shown at actual scale would be no bigger than the emotion ball in its ball shape. Fruit shrinking instead of having bites taken out of them is something else I'd chock up to the graphics putting easy to see above realism. A small can of fruit cocktail would probably qualify as a large meal for a typical Chao.
I had to look up what fruit cocktail was, I don't do fruit.
Considering that would be a large meal, how 'big' would a Chao be in a real life scenario? Are we going by the 15 cm (1/2 ft) that I've read about or should we make them something that's not so small that it's able to be accidentally squashed?
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:As for the lack of excrement, I'm just going to assume Sonic Team didn't think making the player pick-up virtual poop would be fun
No, no it wouldn't.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:That said, since that part of every organism's biology was omitted in-game, we really have no idea what would be typical toilet behavior for chao.
Hmm, I would imagine it would be similar to dogs and / or cats. Saying that, I also don't know the typical toilet behavior of dogs or cats. About every 6-9 hours.

Zeekchaos
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Zeekchaos »

Jack the Person wrote:
Zeekchaos wrote:Does no-one seriously remember that chao REINCARNATE?
Jack the Person wrote:Wouldn't they only live, like a day?
Actually, I did remember that, just that within a day, 30% spent sleeping, 40% spent working, 10% spent eating , 10% spent doing other stuff.
That leaves just 10% or about 3 hours of our day to look after our Chao considering there's nothing else to do. They would probably be lonely, cry, get hungry and die.
Okay, that was a bit blunt.

Think about this how would we look after our Chao when we're in work / school? Would we just drop them off at the Chao Kindergarten, or just leave them in a glass box at our homes?

Considering how if they go more than 20 minutes without food they throw a temper tantrum. Or considering how they may live 5 calendar years, which is 1460 times longer than 30 hours, would all the other stuff also be raised by this? So they'd need to be fed every 20 days... What?

Maybe I thinking too much in a biological sense rather than a fictional scene. Am I overthinking it
Zeekchaos wrote:Would the Chaos Drive glitch be in effect?
No. You can't 'Glitch' real life, the glitch is based on a fault with the code, real life is (Hopefully) not made up of code (Unless, we're in the Matrix, Mr. Anderson).

WAT :blink:
The Gardens are the seven Chao. Chao is luck. Luck is enriched by the Chaos Drive. The Kindergarten serves to unify the Chao.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Where are you getting 15cm as a typical height for a Chao? A bit of Googling says Cheese's Character card from the Sonic X Eyecatches gave his height as 40cm, which seems is line with in-game Chao coming to about waist height on most of the anthro(most of whom are in the neighborhood of 1 meter in height).

Newborn Chao would probably be smaller in real-life than in-game, but I imagine full-grown Chao being on the same size tier as large cats, medium small dogs, and very big rabbits, and assuming Chao are warm-blooded, having appetites on par with animals in that size class(Granted, if Chao are cold bloodied, which is a possibility given that they appear to have more in common with amphibians or reptiles than birds or mammals, there appetites would be much lower than a dog, cat, or rabbit of similar size). Granted, being bipedal, Chao would be taller than the named animals while having a shorter horizontal distance from nose to tail.
Jack the Person
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Where are you getting 15cm as a typical height for a Chao?
Here. One of the first things I came across when I started to take an interest in Chao. Also states about 7kg as an average weight, now that I think about it, they also state the maximum number of times a Chao may reincarnate is 3, so maybe not the best source to use...
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Newborn Chao would probably be smaller in real-life than in-game, but I imagine full-grown Chao being on the same size tier as large cats, medium small dogs, and very big rabbits, and assuming Chao are warm-blooded, having appetites on par with animals in that size class(Granted, if Chao are cold bloodied, which is a possibility given that they appear to have more in common with amphibians or reptiles than birds or mammals, there appetites would be much lower than a dog, cat, or rabbit of similar size). Granted, being bipedal, Chao would be taller than the named animals while having a shorter horizontal distance from nose to tail.
Well at least I know I won't accidently step on them.
I'd also like to think Chao are warm blooded but their skin (or whatever it is) has convinced me otherwise.
Now that we've starting thinking about categorization and (more) biology and... stuff, I felt it would be appropriate to pull up this semi-related old post.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Based on the general appearance of Chao, it seems likely that they have unusually large fat reserves for an organism of their size(most have a pretty obvious pot belly and their limbs are quite pudgy on average), and fat tissue does tend to be quite giggly compared to say muscle tissue. This would also be consistent with their diet and level of physical activity(They eat more than their weight in fruit on a regular bais, and excluding races, most Chao are far to lethargic for the amount of carbohydrates such a diet would involve). Large fat reserves might also explain their inability to sink in water(fat is less dense than water), their ability to survive being thrown at walls with significant force(lots of padding), and how far a well trained Chao can go in Races despite their otherwise sedentary lifestyle(large fat reserves means lot of stored energy to pull on when needed).

Also, I'm not sure a high water content alone can account for their high level of shape shifting. Humans are already 70% water, yet our bodies are quite rigid. I do suspect that Chao probably have few, if any hard tissues in their bodies(if they have a skeleton, it's probably all cartilege for example), through I suspect they have some ability to replicate foreign proteins if not assimilate foreign DNA to manufacture said proteins the same way native ones would be produced.

Also, I suspect Chao have at least somethings in common with Amoebas(one species of which has the scientific name of Chaos Chaos).
In a realistic environment, I'd suspect throwing a Chao against a wall with the force used in-game would probably kill the Chao.
Actually, how would death work? Other than 'Death by neglect + old age' and entering a cocoon, how would other causes of death work? Like an illness, maybe the Chao doctor can finally quit his part-time job at McDonalds.

So... Someone expand on the points made in the above quote, maybe...
Zeekchaos wrote:WAT :blink:
What?

Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

He could use a good proofread, but past me does make some good points.

Presumably, if Chao were real and common enough not to count as exotic pets, veterinarians who focus on treating common household pets would be well-versed in treating common ailments that affect Chao.

Also, I think it worth noting that in SA1DC, you could actually kill your Chao(or so I've read), and I would assume this was removed from later versions of the Chao system for either being too realistic or making it too hard for the target audience to raise Chao.
Jack the Person
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Also, I think it worth noting that in SA1DC, you could actually kill your Chao(or so I've read), and I would assume this was removed from later versions of the Chao system for either being too realistic or making it too hard for the target audience to raise Chao.
I remember this, about 8 years ago, my younger brother would just abuse the hell out of Chao... then they would enter a gray cocoon once he'd finished beating them up, and die ( D: ). My younger young brother still does this, luckily, they don't die anymore (Well it's unlucky for the Chao). To be honest, I believe Chao would just die like normal pets would die. If they were to be thrown at a wall, they would either:

A) Explode into a violent bloody mess (If they don't have skeletons)
B) Make some snapping sounds followed by crying and probably death (If they do have skeletons)
C) Both. (What?)

We still haven't decided if Chao have skeletons yet. It's a possibility. Still, poking a Chao and your finger slowly sinking into it and a boney Chao are both horrific ideas.
Mamkute wrote:
Jack the Person wrote:
Zeyphr wrote:
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:I do suspect that Chao probably have few, if any hard tissues in their bodies(if they have a skeleton, it's probably all cartilege for example)...
Chao might have skeletons. This sounds dark (no pun intended), but I have a slight belief that the skulls that you find in the Dark Garden by using Knuckles/Rouge to dig could be Chao skulls and the shape of their heads is formed by cartilage.
One Year Later...

Chao actually DO have skulls, inside the "Fortune-Telling House" there's a Chao skull in the background.

I am horrifically late aren't I? :cry:
While I agree it is a heavy implication about chao skulls, it does not necessarily guarantee it. Chaos, being very close to chao, doesn't have a boney skull, and really only has a brain and a weird sort of brain stem. And in regards to the skull in the fortune teller's room, it could very well be a fake, and for decorative purposes. I would not want to go to a real world fortune teller if they had a real human skull as decoration. This could also apply to the Dark Garden skull.
That month passed by almost too quickly...

Zeekchaos
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Zeekchaos »

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS TOPIC?? It's about what you'd do with chao in real life, not THE SCIENCE OF CHAO!

I'll be honest. I AM SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!! :chaocry: :herocry: :darkcry:
Zeekchaos
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Zeekchaos »

Jack the Person wrote:
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:Also, I think it worth noting that in SA1DC, you could actually kill your Chao(or so I've read), and I would assume this was removed from later versions of the Chao system for either being too realistic or making it too hard for the target audience to raise Chao.
I remember this, about 8 years ago, my younger brother would just abuse the hell out of Chao... then they would enter a gray cocoon once he'd finished beating them up, and die ( D: ). My younger young brother still does this, luckily, they don't die anymore (Well it's unlucky for the Chao). To be honest, I believe Chao would just die like normal pets would die. If they were to be thrown at a wall, they would either:

A) Explode into a violent bloody mess (If they don't have skeletons)
B) Make some snapping sounds followed by crying and probably death (If they do have skeletons)
C) Both. (What?)

We still haven't decided if Chao have skeletons yet. It's a possibility. Still, poking a Chao and your finger slowly sinking into it and a boney Chao are both horrific ideas.
Mamkute wrote:
Jack the Person wrote:
Zeyphr wrote:
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:I do suspect that Chao probably have few, if any hard tissues in their bodies(if they have a skeleton, it's probably all cartilege for example)...
Chao might have skeletons. This sounds dark (no pun intended), but I have a slight belief that the skulls that you find in the Dark Garden by using Knuckles/Rouge to dig could be Chao skulls and the shape of their heads is formed by cartilage.
One Year Later...

Chao actually DO have skulls, inside the "Fortune-Telling House" there's a Chao skull in the background.

I am horrifically late aren't I? :cry:
While I agree it is a heavy implication about chao skulls, it does not necessarily guarantee it. Chaos, being very close to chao, doesn't have a boney skull, and really only has a brain and a weird sort of brain stem. And in regards to the skull in the fortune teller's room, it could very well be a fake, and for decorative purposes. I would not want to go to a real world fortune teller if they had a real human skull as decoration. This could also apply to the Dark Garden skull.
That month passed by almost too quickly...

Actually, I think Chao have bones made out of a material similar to cartilage, but about 100x stronger, with highly resilient skin, so they would probably bounce off a wall with lots of bodily trauma, mental trauma, and probably a slight concussion. :omochao:
Jack the Person
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Zeekchaos wrote:Actually, I think Chao have bones made out of a material similar to cartilage, but about 100x stronger, with highly resilient skin, so they would probably bounce off a wall with lots of bodily trauma, mental trauma, and probably a slight concussion. :omochao:
This makes sense, I feel bad for all those Chao I 'accidentally' threw when I was a child.
Zeekchaos wrote:WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS TOPIC?? It's about what you'd do with chao in real life, not THE SCIENCE OF CHAO!
Whoops, my bad. I kinda forgot to not talk. No, seriously, I do that sometimes.
I think I asked about the height of Chao, then that led to the weight and I think a got bored and brought something slightly related up from an old topic.

I still think the idea of touching a Chao and it being boney and hard is horrific, but so are the alternatives so... yeah.