Character Chao Alignments

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Character Chao Alignments

Post by CitrusCat »

So, I recently got SA2 PC and SADX PC on Steam, and I got Fusion's Chao Editor as well.
And so, within a couple days, all of my Gardens were filled with Chao. Among these were Tails, Amy, and Knuckles Chao.

And, well, I found out something interesting...

Tails Chao are classified as Neutral Chao. I already knew this, as I had a Tails Chao in the GameCube version before, and he could participate in both Hero and Dark Races.

However, Amy Chao are classified as Dark Chao, and Knuckles Chao are classified as Hero Chao.
Did anyone know about this before? I found out by accident when trying to enter my Chao in the Hero and Dark Races, and got further confirmation when doing the SADX Races; In SA2, the Chao selection for races doesn't list an alignment or evolution for the Character Chao, but in SADX, they do have an alignment listed. And sure enough, Tails was Neutral, Amy was Dark, and Knuckles was Hero.

I thought this was pretty interesting, so I decided that I'd share it. I'm not sure if you knew about this already, though...

I wonder why it's like this, though... My guess is so that the number of Chao types for each alignment would remain balanced/equal? (Because if all three Character Chao were considered Neutral, for example, then that would technically mean there are more Neutral Chao types than Hero or Dark.)

I might update this post with screenshots a little later, so you guys can see what I'm talking about.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: Character Chao Alignments

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I'm fairly sure this has been previously documented, and the reason it happens is that a Chao's base form(baby, each first evolution, Character chao) is stored as a single numerical variable with alignment determined by the remainder you get dividing by three. Apparently, when Sonic Team programmed in the Character Chao, they didn't add any special checks regarding whether Character Chao can enter Hero/Dark races, and apparently, forgot to include the checks SA2B has to not display alignment of character chao in SADX.
CitrusCat
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Motto: I just wanna play video games.

Re: Character Chao Alignments

Post by CitrusCat »

Ah, really? That's interesting.

This was a bit of a surprise for me when I first found out, though. I had assumed that Amy and Knuckles Chao would be treated as being Neutral, like the Tails Chao, so this was a bit unexpected. I guess if it was unintentional, then that makes a little more sense.
What is my life anymore?
Steam Account: Tangerine (custom URL is "asrielfan")