Tiny Chao Garden DX for PC! [0.3.1]

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 2 years and 7 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
MoltenPig
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: I have a chao named Presto. He is weak, but cute

Re: Tiny Chao Garden DX for PC! [0.3.1]

Post by MoltenPig »

I had no idea that this existed! I know what I'll be doing for the next few days!
Exis
Egg
Egg
Motto: Chao means goodbye where i live

Post by Exis »

Domobot wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:48 am Image
Small update time!
New Feature:
  • Chao Janken is now available! The game plays much like it did on the GBA with a few small changes. Your Chao will react to being hit by your shots, and there's a new bomb shot that can clear a few cards at once!
Bugfixes:
  • Chao doesn't trip over itself multiple times anymore. Special thanks to AmberZeChao!
  • Fixed game crash when importing a Chao after export
Download it here!
Spoiler:

Version 0.2.0 of Tiny Chao Garden DX has arrived! Check it out here!

/!\IMPORTANT NOTE/!\ Before installing and playing this version, please make sure to export your current Chao if you want to keep it! This version WILL wipe your previous save. This shouldn't be an issue in future releases. /!\IMPORTANT NOTE/!\

New Features:
  • The basic toys are now available! Let your Chao doot to it's heart's delight, melt it's brain in front of a TV, or... watch the duck. Yeah, nothing's changed there. However, toy availability is now random- so you won't have to wait 3 hours for that TV. Although, considering the only minigame right now...
  • Name changing is now possible! Just click on the name and give your Chao a deep and meaningful moniker with 7 characters or less. Or give it a random name with control+R!
  • A fancy new options screen! Silly easter egg included.
Changes:
  • The inventory screen has been made a bit livelier, and has some mysterious new tabs. Hmm...!
  • Base rings have been changed to 500. Probably a bit low considering the only minigame available is card match. Hopefully I'll fix that soon enough!
  • Some timers have been adjusted. Special thanks to UltimaNumber555!
  • Special new phrases have been added. These mostly only apply to Chao from outside the TCG though, so try importing one :wink:
  • Monotone and Twotone Chao now have their proper palettes. Note that Shiny Chao currently have no difference in appearance.
  • Old keyboard controls have been removed now that the option screen in a thing- you can still reset your Chao's position with R, however.
  • Adjusted grade, eye, and mouth frequency on new Chao, and should be more balanced in comparison to just handing them out with even chance
Bugfixes:
  • Fixed fruits being unable to be placed in the garden.
  • Fixed being unable to earn more rings if you hit 0. Special thanks to Mandymom!
And that's all! If you try it, please give me feedback- I really appreciate it.
Spoiler:
It's finally time for a test drive of Tiny Chao Garden DX! Download it here!

Current features:
-A single garden with a single Chao, identical to the OG Tiny Chao Garden
-A brand-new inventory system for all your fruits, eggs, and toys [none implemented yet though]. Also includes a hotbar for games- only the card match is available for the moment.
-An expanded stat screen with grades and stat totals
-The ability to import from and export to .chao, allowing full compatibility with SA and SA2 via Fusion's Chao Editor!

Some notes:
-Anything other than a Jewel Chao will appear as a Normal Chao- I haven't made palettes for the other varieties yet.
-Names can't be changed yet. The Chao's name is picked from the same set used in SA2's fortune teller.
-There's no balancing on grades- a SSSSS Chao is just as likely as an EEEEE Chao.
-Mood and Belly timers are definitely too fast
-Some actions still need to be implemented, primarily mood-based ones
-Card match is very easy to cheese, for obvious reasons. Also, you get a bit longer to actually look at the cards- I feel like they flipped too soon in the original games. Also also, no Chao running around yet.
-Press Escape to pause and save
-If your Chao gets stuck somewhere, press R to recenter it. Watch the emotiball lazily return...
-Press S to change the resolution

Lemme know what you think, and if you find anything weird!

10.18.2018- Fixed a tiny bug where you couldn't put down a new egg when the garden was empty. All is as it should be now!
Spoiler:
Hello all! For the past two months or so, I've been working on a clone of the Tiny Chao Garden. It's far from finished, but I thought I'd drop what I have so far here.
This video is a month old, but much hasn't changed in terms of using the garden- mostly in that time I've been working on saving and loading. You can demo it here. Some notes:
  • As there aren't any minigames yet, you can give yourself 10000 rings by clicking the big ring on the sidebar.
  • Chao can't be renamed in-game yet, but you can change it either by exporting the Chao's .ini file, changing it manually, and bringing it back in, or changing chao0.ini directly in the game's files. 7 characters, per the norm.
  • Chao will occasionally freak out by the pool. Pet it to set it straight.
  • Press M to change the music!
  • I made a post about it a while back, but I really, really need the sound effects. If anybody has experience ripping sounds from GBA games, gimme a hand!
Plans for the future:
  • One of the most important things I want to implement is full compatibility with Chao from the PC releases of SA and SA2. This is partly done, but I'm waiting on permission from Fusion to use his format. He apparently hasn't been here in a couple of months, and there doesn't seem to be a way to contact him, so if someone who knows him could get his attention, I'd really appreciate it.
  • Minigames! They'll be a priority once all the basic garden stuff is finalized. My only problem is figuring out what to include, or if I should make something new.
  • This is way in the future, but once this is a 1:1 clone of TCG, I'm gonna set out and make an enhanced version. An expanded garden and multiple Chao are definitely on the list for that!
Let me know what you guys think!
Is this cancelled or something? if it is cancelled then i just need to say this was a very good idea, is very sad it could't go for more
RingHogger
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao
Motto: dont abuse your chao to make them dark. just use shadow

Post by RingHogger »

is there a way to upload chao to this game? :thinking: i wanna put some of my chao from SA2 on here
cant wait for sonic adventure 3 coming out! wait, its not coming out? i wanna raise more chao...
Hydra Spectre
Egg
Egg

Post by Hydra Spectre »

RingHogger wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:41 pm is there a way to upload chao to this game? :thinking: i wanna put some of my chao from SA2 on here
Seconding this.
Miaindy
Egg
Egg

Post by Miaindy »

Hydra Spectre wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:37 am
RingHogger wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:41 pm is there a way to upload chao to this game? :thinking: i wanna put some of my chao from SA2 on here
Seconding this.
There is, but modded color Chao and X rank Chao will not appear properly. They don't crash the game, they just don't register correctly
Domobot
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Domobot »

Sorry for disappointing so many of you, but I'm not sure if I'll get back to this any time soon. Mostly it comes down to the motivation to work on this fan project vs. other creative endeavors I could be going for. It's also been long enough that I'd be learning my way around GMS for the third time over...

Perhaps someday I'll find a nice pocket of time to return to this project.

I don't think I ever posted this here, this was the last (big) progress video I recorded. You might see things you'd really wish I'd continued with...
Miaindy
Egg
Egg

Post by Miaindy »

Domobot wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:53 am Sorry for disappointing so many of you, but I'm not sure if I'll get back to this any time soon. Mostly it comes down to the motivation to work on this fan project vs. other creative endeavors I could be going for. It's also been long enough that I'd be learning my way around GMS for the third time over...

Perhaps someday I'll find a nice pocket of time to return to this project.

I don't think I ever posted this here, this was the last (big) progress video I recorded. You might see things you'd really wish I'd continued with...
No, it's fine! You don't have to work on it. I'm thinking of making my own fan project based on the TCG. While I don't have the skills and/or money to work on it yet, one day I might make something that brings joy to people just like your project brings joy to so many others. Thank you for making this and showing me that it is possible