The Chao Project fangame + updates

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 3 weeks old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Re: The Chao Project fangame + updates

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

Sorry for the delay in updates, but we've gotten A LOT done recently. We've finally been able to implement feeding, hatching, petting, chaos drives and stat raising, added in the Neutral Garden from Sonic Adventure 2, and are working on the Windy Valley garden, which was an old intended garden in Sonic Adventure. Our Chao model is finished too, and we've started working on Hero and Dark Chao models. We've also completed a Lost Chao minigame, and we're planning on adding in a Chao Walker minigame once we have the models for it built. And we've successfully added in full HTC Vive support! This will allow the player to teleport around and explore any Chao Garden in VR, although interactions with the Chao in VR mode are currently limited to petting them. Also Chao Mode has progressed pretty well and is almost fully functional; with the press of a button you can become a Chao, fly around the gardens, and view the thoughts of other Chao. Our Sonic model is now fully UV mapped as well, and we're working on more animations for him as well as a new third person character.

Lastly, we've started working on a demo of the game! It won't offer the same features of Sonic Adventure's Chao garden system because we're not that far along yet, but it will allow you to explore all of our completed gardens in and out of VR (if you have an HTC Vive that is), try out Chao Mode and the Lost Chao minigame, and allow you to hatch, feed, pet, and raise the stats of Chao. We haven't set a release date for the demo just yet but we're hoping to complete it before the end of September.

Keep an eye out for more updates in the next few weeks!
Palmpoa
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Palmpoa »

That is good to hear.
:darkhappy:
Drflash55
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Chaaaaooooo!

Post by Drflash55 »

Wow. I am noticing some impressive quality here with "The Chao Project".

Hopefully this gets completed so we can re-live the old Chao Experience, with some new twists as well!

Curse you, Sonic Forces.
Just your average everyday Chao caretaker... or am I?

:thinking:
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

Drflash55 wrote:Wow. I am noticing some impressive quality here with "The Chao Project".

Hopefully this gets completed so we can re-live the old Chao Experience, with some new twists as well!

Curse you, Sonic Forces.
My intention has always been to breathe new life into the Chao System. SEGA was very restricted in how far they could take theirs because it existed as a side feature of the main games and couldn't be more interesting than the main story because it would distract people. Despite it's limitations I almost always go back to Sonic Adventure 2 just for the Chao garden, and it's really been underrated over the years, even by it's developers.

Also what do you have against Sonic Forces? From what I've seen it looks a far cry better than what SEGA has done in recent years.
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

We're releasing a prealpha version of the game tonight at 7pm EST. Players will be able to explore the new gardens and try out our current (albeit incomplete) Chao System for themselves. You can read more about the prealpha release here: http://chaoproject.freeforums.net/threa ... iday-notes
ChrisOfChaos
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by ChrisOfChaos »

Wow almost a month since the last update. We've completed a lot of stuff since then though, to be honest I can barely count off everything we've gotten done but here goes:
-Added two new Chao Gardens, one is a Dark Garden remake and the other is a surprise (you'll probably recognize it when you see it in later prealpha releases).
-Built Chao Walker model. This version is customizable so you'll be able to select multiple variations of it. We're still working on animations for the new rig though.
-Added personalities. This is in very early stages at the moment though.
-Black Market and two lobbies added. The Black Market is currently stocked with fruits only but we hope to add other items eventually. There's one very basic lobby and then there's the VR lobby, which at least for now I've put a lot more time into (this is mainly because we're having trouble deciding on the non VR lobby design though)
-Heart fruits, evolution, and mating have all been added, so Chao can now evolve over time into adulthood and mate via the Heart Fruit (we haven't programmed in genetics yet though). We've just started on other forms of evolution, but we're prioritizing the Hero and Dark evolutions for now since they're the most common ones.
-Debug menu added. This allows players to spawn Chao eggs in any color they choose. Thanks to some of our testers it seems the gardens can handle up to 40 Chao at once before lag sets in, although this will vary from computer to computer. Obviously since the debug menu is for testing it won't be included in a final build, it's just a way to spawn more Chao since eggs can't be purchased ingame yet.
-VR support improved upon. Anyone who plays the VR prealpha (which is still Vive only at the moment unfortunately) will see that VR features have vastly improved. We've built in scene changers and menu interactions for VR mode (including a debug menu to spawn Chao similar to the one in the normal prealpha).
-Chao model has been updated for the sake of efficiency and optimization, and we're now able to create transparent and invisible Chao. I can't say it's very likely that they'll be spotted before a beta release since they're so difficult to obtain ingame though.

We're also working on many other features, but I don't want to disclose anything else until we make more progress. Cheers!
Liliawinx
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Chao are the cutest beings ever

Post by Liliawinx »

I looked on Deviantart and it looks impressive.